Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Landing at the farm

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Went flying from the comfort of the paved strip to the family farm today. After a few low passes to stir up the family and get them outside, i decided to make an approach to the only level spot at our farm. Its a about 800 ft long and has fences all around it. I put on full flap and sneaked it over the first fence and then got on the brakes after touchdown. I'm so impressed at how short this little monster will land. The ground was rather rough but not as bad as all the frozen cow turds. blink.gif

Here's a couple victory shots from the landing. You can see its not the best terrain for having an airstrip and I landed just behind that hill the plane is sitting in front of. My old man couldn't believe it when I landed then taxied up to the gate. The takeoff impressed him quite a bit. When i called to tell him i was back at the airport he said it looked like i used only 50ft to takeoff. I told him it was perhaps a little more than that. My brother who is a commercial pilot and myself have always dreamed of having an airstrip at the farm and this was the first time anyone had ever landed at the farm. Victory is mine!

post-263-13259639665356_thumb.jpg

post-263-13259639590723_thumb.jpg

Posted

Very cool! Every time I go to the home place in OR I look at landing on the front pasture. I think I might have to dump some trees to get a good approach and it is cross wind if the wind is blowing but one of these days.... wink.gif

Posted

Great pictures! Congrats!

Posted

Sweet pics! Gotta be a cool feeling to have talked about it for a long time then to finaly pull it off! The more you fly that thing, the more it will impress you on places it will go that YOU are the limiting factor on.

:BC:

Posted

Nice pics Darcy, thanks for sharing!And you have absolutely no snow there.There is still a bit here at Swift Current, but man it looks from the pics that you have absolutely none nada.Unreal for the 7th of Jan.I tackled the air today as well.Started watching the oilers game, then when Eberlie got tangled up twisted his knee,and left the game I got pissed off ,unfolded the avid and went flying.The flight was fun, taxiing downhill on glare ice though had it's pucker moments. :)

Mike

Posted

We lost the inch of snow we had and the farm is bare. I hope it either snows soon or we get tons of rain in the spring or there might be some poor crops this year. Sure is neat to fly over the lakes and see every crack and the deep blue of the ice.

Today was just too nice of a day so i went back to the airport in the afternoon and took the plane out for a compass swing. I figured seeing as i'm on the runway I had might as well do a circuit and had my best wheel landing yet. There's nothing quite like owning your own airplane and the freedom of just jumping in and burning a circuit when ever you feel like it.

Darcy