Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

TURTLEDECK FANTASIES

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Here's my apologies to everyone while I take my alzheimer pill with my Geritol:

I need to learn to check facts before I write or speak.

I DO NOT HAVE A KF TURTLEDECK!

Mine is not bronze, or smoke, it is clear, and evidently made by someone other than Kitfox.

I guess I will keep it as a reminder unless someone really wants it.

Sorry for the mistake. Ed in MO

Posted

LOL, sounds like you got a few inquires. Sorry but I'm still confused... is this is a homemade(?) clear Lexan turtledeck, that does (or does not?) fit an "early" (Model I, II, III, maybe IV?) Kitfox?

Posted

LOL, sounds like you got a few inquires. Sorry but I'm still confused... is this is a homemade(?) clear Lexan turtledeck, that does (or does not?) fit an "early" (Model I, II, III, maybe IV?) Kitfox?

Guess So - sort of? I got it years ago, about the time the KF5 was new. Still got paper on it, not cut or drilled, although someone marked on the paper supposedly for the cut for the flaperon tube. Looks a little flimsy to me, but may be correct. Have not measured thickness. Bends are very square. Think I would use thicker glass.

Dunno what for sure right now. Not too worried about it. Won't fit my highly modified bird because my roof is 6 inches higher.

Ed in MO

Posted

Well if it's similar in size to a KF 5/6 turtledeck I'm interested to see if it will fit my Avid+. I'll get some measures....

Posted (edited)

Here are pictures of the turtle deck

td (1).JPG

td (2).JPG

td (3).JPG

td (4).JPG

td (5).JPG

td (7).JPG

Edited by 4aplat

Posted (edited)

Here are pictures of the turtle deck

NICE CUSTOM FEATURE. I saw an Airdale with door on left side - modified my KF with door on right and battery door farther back. Mine hinge in the front, just in case they should unlatch in flight. NOW, WHAT IS THAT GIZMO WHERE THE "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" STREAMER IS SHOWN? (Just had to ask.)

Ed in MO

td (1).JPG

td (2).JPG

td (3).JPG

td (4).JPG

td (5).JPG

td (7).JPG

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

CC.JPG

headset plugs + strobe switch + battery isolator

Posted

CC.JPG

headset plugs + strobe switch + battery isolator

Neat setup - a little imagination does wonders. I am thinking about putting my ELT antenna there, since my roof is 6 inches higher than standard, it will fit under my lexan turtledeck.

The com antenna is farther back, and ELT says "seperate by 3 feet from com antennas".

Ran out of room on the IP, got to innovate for some things.

Ed in MO

Posted (edited)

Well if it's similar in size to a KF 5/6 turtledeck I'm interested to see if it will fit my Avid+. I'll get some measures....

See pics for Avid+ turtledeck measurements.

[EDIT] For comparison, here are measures for Ed's Lexan turtledeck (thanks Ed)...

For anyone interested, I measured my Homemade Lexan TD for Doug. I will have to compare his measurements to mine.

At the front: 32 3/4 inches wide inside the turn-down.

At the Rear: 26 1/2 inches " " " "

Length: 30 3/4

Turned down sides: 4 3/4 going back 17 1/4 and tapering from there to 3/4 at the rear.

.090 thickness

Ed in MO

post-53-13275537088672_thumb.jpg

post-53-13275537094307_thumb.jpg

post-53-13275537099598_thumb.jpg

post-53-13275537104958_thumb.jpg

post-53-13275537110047_thumb.jpg

post-53-13275537114477_thumb.jpg

post-53-13275537119254_thumb.jpg

post-53-13275537124464_thumb.jpg

post-53-13275537128853_thumb.jpg

post-53-13275537132755_thumb.jpg

Edited by dholly

Posted

4aplat-

Thanks for the pics, love to see what other guys have done. I have been thinking about installing my headset plugs behind the seat my self, seems like it may get the cords out of the way a bit, you could also put a small hook on each side of that mounting plate to hang them on when not in use. Do you like this set up better than plugging them into the dash?

-Robert-

Posted

I have the jacks behind my head in my plane and hate them there.

If you mount them behind you in this manner, be sure to mount them sufficiently to the side to clear you head and headsets themselves. Mine are mounted perfectly to poke the back of my head and hook a hat or the headset itself. Poor setup and not they can't be moved.

In the attached photo, you can see the jacks, just above the pink registration paper, behind the seat.

post-36-13276187448968_thumb.jpg

Posted

4aplat-

Thanks for the pics, love to see what other guys have done. I have been thinking about installing my headset plugs behind the seat my self, seems like it may get the cords out of the way a bit, you could also put a small hook on each side of that mounting plate to hang them on when not in use. Do you like this set up better than plugging them into the dash?

-Robert-

Hi robert

There's not enough place on my dash to put the 4 plugs

tdb3.jpg

and I had to add a battery isolator switch near the battery

the only place available was the place on the picture so I put the headset plugs in the same place.

I realy like to have them here but My new DC X11 have the first wire not long enought, and I had a blulink BT adaptator (with the same problem)

So now, I've just a wire under the seat with 2 blugs at the end of them !!

you could also put a small hook on each side

what is a hook ???

Posted

Ed -

I put pics and measurements of my Avid+ turtledeck a bit earlier in this thread. Can you compare these to the smoked Lexan turtledeck you have please, would be interested if it fits. Thanks.

-Doug

Posted (edited)

Ed -

I put pics and measurements of my Avid+ turtledeck a bit earlier in this thread. Can you compare these to the smoked Lexan turtledeck you have please, would be interested if it fits. Thanks.

-Doug

Doug,

Go back to my alzheimers statement: Mine is clear, not smoked!

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I will look at your measurements anyway, and they may be helpful and comparable.

I will post the comparisons.

Thanks, Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri