Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox belly pod

2 posts in this topic

Posted

I need advice on the Kitfox belly pod that a attaches to the floatplane attach points before I buy a used one.

This is not the torpedo design.

This pod came off a model 4 with a Jabiru so there was no belly radiator like my 582 has which interferes with the front compartment of the pod.

Is moving the radiator forward 8 inches an option to clear the front section of the pod or do I put the radiator in that front section and seal off the rear section and trim the pod to get air to and from the radiator?

This idea would lose storage space but could be an esthetic surrounds for the radiator.

Does this pod require a new FAA inspection or just a new weight and balance?

Does it add significant drag.

My model 1 does not have front float attach points. Any suggestions on how to attach the front part of this pod without having to weld on attach points to the longerons?

How about bolting thru the floorboards like the radiator is attached

I will appreciate your sharing your experiences.

Thanks Herman

Posted

I need advice on the Kitfox belly pod that a attaches to the floatplane attach points before I buy a used one.

This is not the torpedo design.

This pod came off a model 4 with a Jabiru so there was no belly radiator like my 582 has which interferes with the front compartment of the pod.

Is moving the radiator forward 8 inches an option to clear the front section of the pod or do I put the radiator in that front section and seal off the rear section and trim the pod to get air to and from the radiator?

This idea would lose storage space but could be an esthetic surrounds for the radiator.

Does this pod require a new FAA inspection or just a new weight and balance?

Does it add significant drag.

My model 1 does not have front float attach points. Any suggestions on how to attach the front part of this pod without having to weld on attach points to the longerons?

How about bolting thru the floorboards like the radiator is attached

I will appreciate your sharing your experiences.

Thanks Herman

Herman,

I am considering adding a cargo compartment in the fuse under the rear half of the Turtle deck with an outside door on my mod 1. You might consider that as well.

Dave