Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A heater core that WORKS!

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Have seen some discussion on the forum about heaters and thought I'd share my experience. The heater core in the pictures was installed when I bought the plane, but I quickly found it was mostly useless. So to fix the problem, I machined up a spacer to put the thermostat out far enough to take the heater hose off the engine side. Now the only drawback to it is that the computer fan doesn't move enough air. I need a good squirrel cage fan. I haven't flown in really cold weather with it yet, but when it was about zero F on the ground, I was able to fly without gloves. ( about 40-50 F depending on where in the cabin you measure)

Hope somebody finds this useful.

Dave

post-374-13273062492673_thumb.jpg

post-374-13273063274501_thumb.jpg

post-374-13273064584392_thumb.jpg

Posted

Have seen some discussion on the forum about heaters and thought I'd share my experience. The heater core in the pictures was installed when I bought the plane, but I quickly found it was mostly useless. So to fix the problem, I machined up a spacer to put the thermostat out far enough to take the heater hose off the engine side. Now the only drawback to it is that the computer fan doesn't move enough air. I need a good squirrel cage fan. I haven't flown in really cold weather with it yet, but when it was about zero F on the ground, I was able to fly without gloves. ( about 40-50 F depending on where in the cabin you measure)

Hope somebody finds this useful.

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave. I have planned to do that for a while but have not got to it yet.

Dave

Posted

Do you have a CNC mill? I can see a run of parts being made here! Are you a machinist by trade? I have some work I need done for making an adaptor plate for my gear box and engine mount. I will be in Atown next time home for a few days.. :)

:BC:

Posted

Do you have a CNC mill? I can see a run of parts being made here! Are you a machinist by trade? I have some work I need done for making an adaptor plate for my gear box and engine mount. I will be in Atown next time home for a few days.. :)

:BC:

In a previous life I was a plastic injection mold maker, so still have a pretty decent shop, including a cnc mill. If I thought there was a market for the heater adapter, I might consider making a run. Don't have a lot of time for outside projects, but I'm alsways up for helping somebody do their own, and since I've got my bird in the shop right now, would like your opinion on a few issues.

Dave

Posted (edited)

I just today was installing a new heater core which has been working pretty well except the ooze. It

was for a 912ULS and twice as wide as the one in your photo, I used the Earl's Performance about 12" wide....

Looking fowrard to getting it back together...

~CRAZEDpilot

Edited by wildirishtime