Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rib question

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Im missing some ribs for my model B speedwing. Does anyone have a template so i can make my own. Currently im needing to make the butt ribs and the center rib. I do have one root rib that i thought i could use to possibly draft up a template with. i believe they are the same just that the butt ribs have the ends cut off is this correct. does anyone have any pictures of a butt rib with a root rib by chance? Im working on fitting the cowel which needs the windshield fitted with it but i need these ribs installed to do it.

Thanks Robert

Edited by High Country

Posted

Why not just get them from Brett? They're not that expensive...

Posted

Im missing some ribs for my model B speedwing. Does anyone have a template so i can make my own. Currently im needing to make the butt ribs and the center rib. I do have one root rib that i thought i could use to possibly draft up a template with. i believe they are the same just that the butt ribs have the ends cut off is this correct. does anyone have any pictures of a butt rib with a root rib by chance? Im working on fitting the cowel which needs the windshield fitted with it but i need these ribs installed to do it.

Thanks Robert

Yes they are the same rib without the tails for the flaperon hangers.. But as Larry said, it is pretty darn cheap to get them from Airdale. It would have taken me more time and money to get the wood and make them myself than just ordering them. Brett should have some siting on the shelf so he can get them out pretty darn quick.

:BC:

Posted

Thanks Robert

take care that butt and wing ribs for speedwing are not same airfoil

pic taken from avid book :

post-192-13274932651874_thumb.jpg

Posted

The speed wing actually uses (6) different rib pieces.

- Butt ribs... same used on all Avid models (Speed, Hauler, STOL or Aerobat wing), rib profile mirrors the under cambered Hauler/STOL.

- The standard speed/aerobat 'short' ribs... without flaperon hinge tail.

- The standard speed/aerobat 'long' ribs... with flaperon hinge tail.

- Partial speed/aerobat 'short' rib tails... without flaperon hinge tail for use with oem fiberglass wing tank.

- Partial speed/aerobat 'long' rib tails... with flaperon hinge tail for use with oem fiberglass wing tank.

- Special 'transitional' root ribs... mirrors top curve of Hauler/STOL Butt rib profile, bottom curve of Speed/Aerobat rib profile.

I just had Brett make up some of the special root and long ribs for me. It is quite possible he made extras and has them sitting on the shelf right now.

Posted

And Doug comes through again! I stand corrected!

:BC:

Posted

Here they are all together, and compared with each other.

post-53-13275522806352_thumb.jpg

post-53-13275522812749_thumb.jpg

post-53-13275522819136_thumb.jpg

post-53-13275522825384_thumb.jpg

post-53-13275522831403_thumb.jpg

Posted

-wow- bit off a bit more than i expected. good thing is i was able to find the missing butt ribs and center rib but im still missing one of the standard speedwing ribs... except this was a B model and I'm going to add wing tanks to it so i guess that changes things anyways. When i put the butt ribs up against the root ribs they hit just a bit on the cap strips so they will not lay flat against each other, should i just trim the cap strips up to make them fit nicely? then how do i know exactly where to mount them. the manual was last updated in 1988 so its not real good. I need to get the butt ribs mounted to the fuselage so i can get the windshield mounted, I'm actually working on the firewall but the manual says i have to fit it up to the cowl which fits up to the windshield which fits up against the butt ribs and on and on and on. shesh. As for the fuel tanks I looked at the wingtanks.com ones and they seem a bit small to me I would think it would be better to put just one tank per wing with greater capacity each so you don't have the extra fittings to cause a leak. Is there any other suppliers that have larger tanks say around 14-18 gal. I was thinking of calling up kitfox, any ideas. Also thinking of adding some extra ribs more like the HH to get a bit more gross weight. I was thinking if i did this, and went to 1" struts and reinforced the spar carry through tubes i should be able to get 1000 lb gross. currently the manual says 800 lbs. yea, neigh,???

-Robert-

Posted

Call Brett.