Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

high EGT 582 GRRRRRRR

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Leni and I started to experience higher EGT's in my Kitfox we thought it was due to the weather change . I went out yesterday to rejet and now the darn thing does not get enough gas lol . Hmmmm bigger jet no gas . I did a fuel flow test and at static had plenty but with vacumm oooooops no fuel hardly .  The finger strainers are plugged in the tanks . This happened once before when I bought the plane and had to steam the tanks out . Thought we got all that crud out but now I realize NOPE got to do it again. This really sucks when it is freezing out. To do the front tank stainer I have to pull the engine and remove the housing inside the cabin that covers the starter on the 582.

Ohh well so much for duck hunting this weekend .

Later fly safe all 

Posted

Hey John...

Have ya heard this one...?

How many Alaskans does it take to........

BTW...

The finger strainers are plugged in the tanks

Quit using whale oil in your mix. Just my tech suggestion.  :beerchug:

Posted

They were pissin and moaning too much about our use of whale oil so we switched to seal oil.  Now we may have to try walrus or something  :banghead:

:beerchug:

Posted

back to the topic..Last time I flew it was when I putthe new 72" prop on his plane.. I went from a 68" high pitch blade IFA to 72" low pitch.  I had checked the jetting as the temps had dropped but was still getting higher than normal EGT's.  I just pulled the power back, dialed in more pitch to get the EGTs down and flew around...Now it hits home.. I attributed the higher EGTs to having less pitch and the engine not workin hard....in reality, I was running out of fuel and trying to burn it down...hmmm. maybe we should learn to listen to the plane when it is trying to tell us something..

Posted

Hey no more friggin idle chatter and stick to the damn subject and be totaly serious for once . I can stand this any more all this crap and no good ideas from a couple of crazy guys lmfao.  :beerchug:  :siterocks:

OK it wasnt the seal oil , its that darn leftover wooly mammoth crap the oil company's are making into gas these days and it is varishing and gumming up real bad just like the pic you posted Steve. .

As for how many Alaskan's it takes , Enought till we get r dun lol . Heck steve without your input we would be lost without a real tech to give us good sound advice on how to check the muffler bearings or such .

Fly safe and check the finger strainers everyone  :2cent:

Posted

I should have taken photos but heck it was to cold for shutter to work lol .

I cleaned out strainers and had great fuel flow I thought . Fired engine < actually started engine Runs great at idle thru 5600 RPM then wham she runs out of fuel after that . Without EGT's would not be able to see temp spiking. ERGO fly with EGT's .

Rebuilt fuel pump and checked fuel flow, again Great flow no probs . Started engine , didn't fire it yet . Idles smooth and runs to 5600 then wham EGT's spike and runs out of fuel . :banghead:  :biggun:  :shitfan:  .

Now i get pissed and rip out all plumbing and start checking from tank's out WHOOOOOOO 3 way fuel selector has a oring that is crossways in throat of line when normal flow is going it lets fuel by , but when a suction is applied then the oring closes off the opening , not good for flight or EGT's or the engine for that matter . This is the second valve that has done this to me . These are the 1/4 " valves from Leading edge and also ACS that are silver and for fuel . I will not use these ever again and recommend others not use them also . I am re-plumbing tomorrow and using a real 3 way fuel valve that cost lots of money but is much cheaper in the long run than rebuilding the engine or the plane and makes me feel lots better to have that fan turning up front .

Again my signature will follow below

Posted

John,

Any chance that ethanolalcohol in the fuel is changing the composition of the o-ring allowing it to slip out of place?

I've seen some Mil-6000 rubber hose literally swell and dissolve when expose to autofuel over extended periods of time.

There are different types of rubber used in o-ring construction, nitrate and butyl being a few. Each is only compatible with certain fluids. Some will fail at low temps in the wrong applicaton

Here is a good reference for o-ring material....

http://sealdynamics.com/o-ring-reference.pdf

Just brainstorming here.... might mean nothing.

Steve

Posted

I thought about that but it is the same oring that has done this for the second time. I have not used any biofuel or any ethonal or alcohol at all that I know of . I am plumbing in a 3 way ball valve that will not have orings in it .

Thanks for the advice

Posted

just hurry up and get it done.. I am flyhing home tomorrow... have it gassed up and warmed up for.. I got ducks to kill :lol:

Posted

Good Luck hunting.....

I'm talking to the ducks. (see atachment)

263_duck-hunt_jpg9d1e56a58c3d907fe1fa74a

Posted

damn.. I think you put some bad juju on me... I was spose to fly out from work at 9:00 in the am to head home... now they are calling for 80 mph winds.. and blowing snow, this makes it 0 visibility... what cant you do in zero vis.... LAND A DAMN 737 on a gravel runway..The ducks may have a days reprieve lol..

Posted

Here's what ya do.....

Find the 737 flight crew and tell 'em...

"when landing in a cross wind you should have your up wind wing banked to the wind and use opposite rudder to keep the nose pointed straight down the runway.  If the wind in coming from the right side, you will be right wing low and left rudder."

I read that someplace.....  ;D

Posted

they dont mind the wind... just not being able to see the damn runway..We have one hell of a flight crew that do a damn good job of flying in and out ofthe god forsaken frozen desert...  and the bunny huggers would have you think it was a pristine wilderness...

Posted

Ok I got a fuel valve from CARQUEST 55 bucks for a nice shiny brass 3 way  real fuel valve . Will install it at lunch time and go fly . Hope ya make it home Bro . We got lots of them there duckies to kill .

I love your humor Steve you make my day with some of the shit you come up with .

Take care all fly safe fly low fly slow fly fun fly kitfox or Someone elses kitfox lol .

Posted

new fule valve didnt do it... yesterday we ran all new fuel lines..didnt do it.. dumped a little ISO in each tank let it set overnight... hopefully that does it.. if not, she comes home for an indepth teardown to se WTF is going on with the fuel feed.

Posted

Ok we are in the WTF mode now . Plane is in yard and getting a minor major done lol .

Posted

The fuel supply is properly vented...yes?

No crimped, collapsed or plugged lines?

Posted

new valves, fuel lines, both tanks do the same thing... with cap on and with cap off...