Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gold from Lead / Gas from Gasahol

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Someone probably has gone here before - yes, I have read about the plastic tanks. Want to hear about my bank account & bills? (Didn't think so!)

The stories I have heard about fiberglas tanks and ethenol have me worried.

Years ago, a friend in Alaska landed his Kitfox in a tree. He said that the good thing about glas tanks was that they disintergrate on contact with a tree, and the gas dispersed quickly in a cloud of vapor, and no fire!

I have FOUR - 12 gal fiberglas tanks that are installed and were built by Ron's Fiberglas when he was the supplier for Kitfox. That was before our Govment in its wisdom starting putting 10% moonshine alcohol in our Mogas.

If they can put it in, then IMO, some chemical engineer can figure out how to get it out: anyone know one?

Thought about pissing in a can of it, but Budweiser has 5% alcohol in it, so would only cut it in half.

Is there a way to get TCP now, so I could run 100LL? They banned shipments of it once.

Many-Many years ago, Shell was starting to advertise TCP in their gas. Also, to "Put a Tiger in your Tank". I was at a gas station in Arkansas, and asked the boy working there if he knew what TCP stood for. He shook his head, spit some tobacco juice on the ground, and said, "Best I can guess, it must be TOM-CAT PISS!

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

There is a few people claiming to "wash" the ethanol out of contaminated gasoline.

Theory: This is being done by pouring water into the fuel to combine with the ethanol. This mixture then falls out of suspension, leaving 'clean' fuel to be skimmed off.

Maybe I'd use this 'fuel' in my lawnmower, but certainly not in my airplane. (At least not with me flying in it...)

Posted

Ed,

I'm in the same situation just North of Chicago. I decided to ferry no-Ethanol gas from Wisconsin by car and use relatively close airports with Mogas if going by air. You might find a similar solution would work for you in MO. Here a couple of helpful links to help you find your gold:

Airnav's local fuel finder

Pure-Gas.org MO gas stations

-- Paul S

Posted (edited)

Ed,

I'm in the same situation just North of Chicago. I decided to ferry no-Ethanol gas from Wisconsin by car and use relatively close airports with Mogas if going by air. You might find a similar solution would work for you in MO. Here a couple of helpful links to help you find your gold:

Airnav's local fuel finder

Pure-Gas.org MO gas stations

-- Paul S

Paul, That Pure-Gas site looked like a Goldmine to me! Many Thanks for the info. Those towns are on my flight list.

I thot pure gas had gone the way of the dinosauers.

Great info - now I can relax until our Govmt acts again. I started designing and building this "Foxy Flapper" airplane years ago in Alaska, and was not worried about alcohol in my gas there.

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Glad to help. Remember to go into the Pure-Gas site and update when you buy a load of no-ethanol. The information is only as good as the latest update.

-- Paul S