Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Brake pedal modifications

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I just installed Brett's brake pedal modification and I need to put some kind of rudder pedal extension so I can get my toes off of the brake pedals while taxing. What would work the best?

Posted

A pic or two would really help. Well, I may not be able to help but I'd like to see the new pedals.

Posted

I think that is why Mikesk's pedals have the cross bar that your feet rest on so you stay off the brakes till your really ready to apply them. You may be able to modify your new pedals with minimal welding to mirror something like his.

A pic of what you have from Brett would help us see what you are dealing with.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

I need to attach a extension to the rudder pedal because I can not tip my brake pedal forward far enough. I don't have the extended firewall with my 503 so I lose about 3" of leg room, which brings my feet closer to the seat. When that happens just the toes of my boots are resting on the rudder peddals and the brakes. I might try to grind part of the toe bracket off so I can tip the peddals forward more.

post-56-13284025014913_thumb.jpg

post-56-13284025624304_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bandit

Posted

From experience, I would suggest you consider modifying the cylinder attach point so cross control on taxi and landing is not an issue. See post titled "pedal flaw enhances groundloop potential". Good luck.

Posted

I need to attach a extension to the rudder pedal because I can not tip my brake pedal forward far enough. I don't have the extended firewall with my 503 so I lose about 3" of leg room, which brings my feet closer to the seat. When that happens just the toes of my boots are resting on the rudder peddals and the brakes. I might try to grind part of the toe bracket off so I can tip the peddals forward more.

One suggestion that I have would be to put an extention on the vertical post, and you could angle it forward a bit, and move your lower MC attatch point up or mount it on side of post.

One thing that you will have to compensate for is the alignment with the rudder cables with the first guide. I am not familiar with the Avid setup there, but a Kitfox owner frayed his cable when it wore thru the plastic tube on the front guide. Kitfoxes have pedals shaped like horseshoes turned sideways, but the lower part is sometimes too low also.

Ed in MO

Posted

Spend a few bucks and get Mikesk pedals. They will solve your problem with getting o nteh brakes instead of the rudder and they have the correct geometry to give the mechanical advantage needed.

Mike, I see you lurking down there, can you post up a picture of your pedals so they can see what I am talking about? I am at work and don't have any pictures of them here.

There may be some in the thread that Joey did on his "gocart to matco" conversion he did.

BC.gif

Posted (edited)

Spend a few bucks and get Mikesk pedals. They will solve your problem with getting o nteh brakes instead of the rudder and they have the correct geometry to give the mechanical advantage needed.

Mike, I see you lurking down there, can you post up a picture of your pedals so they can see what I am talking about? I am at work and don't have any pictures of them here.

There may be some in the thread that Joey did on his "gogart to matco" conversion he did.

:BC:

post-136-13284644995929_thumb.jpg

Here it is Leni:

People want to use the big fat mc5's that came with the later kits shipped, and I went with the mc4d ram for max performance reasons.I've never been exposed to the bigger dia.mc5.According to the matco site the mc5 is 1.813 in.in dia.which pencils out to a best leverage of 2.1 on the avid, if the ram is right tight to the back of the rudder pedal and stays there.I'm workin with around 3.5 and maxing line psi at over 600.

Edited by Mikesk

Posted

This what I ended up doing. I now have enough braking power. The rudder extensions keep my toes off of the brake pedal.

post-56-13285015926674_thumb.jpg

post-56-13285016154488_thumb.jpg

post-56-13285016436384_thumb.jpg

Posted

This what I ended up doing. I now have enough braking power. The rudder extensions keep my toes off of the brake pedal.

Here are pictures of my Brake mods. Base of cylinder attaches to floor ahead of control tube. Russ.

post-83-13285425353661_thumb.jpg

post-83-13285425638556_thumb.jpg

post-83-13285425954085_thumb.jpg