Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Taildraggers

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

We all are aware that Avids and to a greater extent Kitfoxes suffer from limited visibility when on the ground in their three point stance. I had a close call today that I want to share in hopes that people will learn from it.

I went to a ski plane fly-in on a lake frequented by snowmobiles and ice fishermen. The arrival and socialization at the event were without incident and quite fun. The departure was a little different.

Three of the remaining six planes there were going to depart, I was one of them. We all started and were warming up. I decided to take lead and pulled forward. The guy putting on the event had a hand held radio and was acting as a lookout for sleds and people on the ice. As I pulled forward toward my intended takeoff area, I told him my intention was to cross to the far side of a row of barrels (marking the snowmobile trail) and depart. He acknowledged this transmission by telling me that the far side of the trail was much smoother. I was concerned with hitting one of the barrels so I was watching it pass out the left side windscreen/door. I passed the barrel, turned to the right, up the trail and added power to take off. As I was accelerating, I saw a flash on my right side. I later learned that this flash was the guy with the radio diving out of the way of my plane.

While maneuvering on the ground (ice) I never saw him. I assumed he was clear. My fault.

While maneuvering on the ground (ice) he never told me his position or that I was taxiing directly toward him. He assumed I saw him. His fault.

I didn't learn of the seriousness of this incident until I spoke with him on the phone later, after I arrived home, needless to say he was still quite upset. (His wife even more so.) He is okay, but bruised and shaken from our close call. He said he never saw me approaching because he was watching a passing snowmobile to be sure it was clear. He only dove aside when he heard me throttle up. I will not take argument against him, but I think this is a pretty weak excuse on his part. I would never take my eyes off a nearby running airplane, especially one approaching me. Which is definitely not to say I am without fault in this incident. He said I should have been 's' turning. Anyone who has flown on skis knows this really isn't a possibility and he acknowledged that in our later conversation.

As I write this, I am torn inside. I don't think this will curb my flying, but it was a near catastrophe that will haunt me, probably for ever. And rightly so.

Some of you may/would laugh this off. I can't. In spite of this happening I consider(-ed?) myself to be fairly cautious and safe in my airplane operations. Now I'm questioning that.

I hope anyone reading this can learn from this instance.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Thanks for writing about your near miss. By sharing, You're helping others who might find themselves in a similar situation. I'm sure it's a lesson that will be remembered by all involved and will help you all be safer.

Don't let something like that keep you on the ground though. Your experience will be valuable in keeping future events safer.

Hang in there!

-- Paul S

Posted

Just keep it in your safety list. We have all had our day in the spotlight, whether others knew it or not. I never really took my instructor seriously about entering downwind at mid-point until I came prop to prop with a plane departing the pattern after takeoff. I was too shaken to tell anyone and sure didn't report the near-near-near miss, but I remember it 50 years later! I won't bore you with lots of "others".

Just tell yourself, "Now I'm a safer pilot", and keep flying.

Ed in MO

Posted

I noticed that the visibility over the nose on the KF is MUCH less than the Avid. When flying the KF, I do lots of S turns as I taxi to make sure the path is clear. With the Avid, I ahve full visibility over the nose, even with the extended gear and big tires. I ahve had lots of close calls and the one big one that should have taken me out. I wont lie, I was a little apprehensive the first few flgihts afterwards, but soon, it did not occupy much of my thinking. That is not to say that me keeping a close eye for a good place to set down is not more prevelant in my "routine" but it is not consuming my mind nor do I feel paranoid about it, it's just one of those thngs that I now normally do without even thinking.

I am very happy to hear that it turned out the way it did, tragedy was averted and you all live to fly another day. Just a good reminder to not get fixated on any one object, keep your eyes moving, and if you cant see over the nose, do some S turns to make sure the path forward is clear.

:BC:

Posted

Thanks for sharing the event and I am so glad that it became a learning moment for all of us and didn't result in a catastrophy. Even though it has shaken you up you can't beat yourself up too bad over it but rather just lock it in as something you will not repeat and keep on going.

I haven't flown in a KF but in the Avid and Avid+; just like Leni said, the forward visibility is very good even with my 5 1/2" extended gear and 26" bushwheels so it must just be due to the cowl shape.

Your shakeup did remind me of another real screw up I did by letting myself get distracted but I think I will post it as a separate post to keep this one on topic. Thanks again for sharing the event, sometimes it is very hard to do.

Posted

We all are aware that Avids and to a greater extent Kitfoxes suffer from limited visibility

I recently installed 26" Alaskan Bushwheels on my Kitfox... with 3.5" height increase at the axles compared

to my 8.50's i already had, you can imagine what the visibiity change was, I wish I had measured the prop height

inrease but it must be 6" at least... that REALLY changed the site picture for safety, so anyone

thinking to upgrade tires keep that in mind too...

You're not alone, I get the willies when I fire up an engine on a ramp every time - I think we should,

it keeps us thinking at all times. I don't want that fear to go away... especially when it's a nice day

and you're at an airshow with kids.

~CRAZEDpilot