Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Getting Distracted

1 post in this topic

Posted

Here is one I did quite a while back that shook me up for a while and hopefully taught me a forever lesson. A good friend of mine who is quadraplegic got a carribou permit in a unit I am still trying to draw for. I flew him out to a mine (I had gotten to know the owner a bit the winter before) and we stayed overnight in the bunk house. Long story short he managed to get a great carribou from the front porch of the lodge the next day. I boned out the bull, loaded all the meat in a GI duffle bag strapped into the passenger seat of the Avid and split the rack and bungeed 1/2 to each wing strut. I flew the load out to the truck and returned to get my friend.

The weather was moving in when I got there and I loaded our gear and strapped the rifle boot and his walking sticks to the wing struts and got him into the plane which was quite a process. I was in a hurry to get going but I knew I had a load on so I taxied up the runway a ways just to make sure I had plenty of room and then turned for my takeoff run. About the time I got full throttle in the engine died. I had shut the fuel off when I landed and didn't go through the start up checklist in my distracted hurry to get going. If I hadn't decided to back taxi a ways before my takeoff run things probably would have ended very bad.

I know I had some providence playing a part in this one but it definately shook me up, as it should have. One of those good ones to learn from and never repeat.