Broken Flaperon pivot point

32 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey Akflyer,

I make a distinction between a repair (does not increase original strength) and the UK civil aviation mandatory recommendation to re-inforce the flaperon hangers. wypaul's and yours may work well as a repair but I don't believe it will be stronger than the original. Hope that makes sense...

Cheeeers & happy flying

2 people like this

Posted

While I agree, in a perfect world, I’d be stripping the fabric off, making aluminum side plates, hysol or JB weld them in place and use offset mechanical fasteners (which IS what I’ll do at some point) I’m thinking that making a lamination with perhaps .020 aluminum and adhesive with a couple of rivers should be an excellent stop-gap until that time. Thanks to all for inputs and help!

1 person likes this

Posted

Just thought I would add a comment now with some serious abuse and almost 800 hrs my repairs are well proven and I can recommend this for repair of the ribs.

1 person likes this

Posted

I fiber glassed all of my hangers as far in as possible.  Once they cured the strength is amazing.

3 people like this

Posted

Unfortunately, the support is broken back too close to the edge of the wing to do an easy fix.

So you will have to do what I did a couple months ago.

You will have to remove the fabric from the tip and scarf and new rear part of the rib on the part that is still secure to the rear spar.

I may still have photos of the repair procedure, but I think I erased them.

The rib wood is usually birch and is a 1/4" 10 laminate design. You can buy 10 laminate from Spruce, bit the smallest section is 4 x 4 feet and expensive.

Luckily, I found a local source that actually gave me a 4 x 12" section for free.

You might find small pieces at a hobby shop.

John M

Posted (edited)

Just thought I would add a comment now with some serious abuse and almost 800 hrs my repairs are well proven and I can recommend this for repair of the ribs.

after making the repairs, how do you get the fabric tight again.

I cut mine about 6 inches down the center of the rib .

Im thinking of stitching the fabric around the rib as there are no holes in the rib.

What do you think?

thanks

Jim

404-409-5308

Edited by james miller

Posted

Maybe if you used a wide finish tape with the fabric as tight as you can make it, and then shrink the finish tape with an iron, it will take up any slack in the fabric.  JImChuk