Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

REDTAILS

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

My flying buddy of the last 50 years called me today. He had just watched the movie, "REDTAILS" with his co-pilot spouse, and LOVED IT!

I have studied the history on them, and they were true HEROS in WW2.

I hope all of you get to see it.

Bytheway, We may have had one of them, or the equivilant, flying cropdusting for us in the late 40's or early 50's in Louisiana and Arkansas.

He was a super pilot who would scare the hell out of me in the front seat of a Stearman, or a kid sitting on his lap in a 600 hp Snow, but he always brought us back safely.

I soloed his Stearman one day when I was 10 years old. I got a foot off of the ground when I was supposed to Taxi the plane. Got my ass chewed out and immediately grounded! Ah, those were the days.

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed..I did the same thing in a 800hp Ag Cat when I was @ 15

I searched 600 Snow and got this, interesting

Posted (edited)

Ed..I did the same thing in a 800hp Ag Cat when I was @ 15

I searched 600 Snow and got this, interesting

WOW - SOME ENGINE!!!

Memory fading, but don't think that was the engine we had in our Snow cropduster. Fascinating video! Never know what you might find in a puter.

Believe the Snow was later pulled by a 1000 hp radial, but could be wrong on that.

BTW: I don't remember seeing any Ag Cats when I lived in Alaska - there must be more to this story, or at least a place and time. I almost went to the Minden, Nevada school for cropdusting when I was young, but toolmaker/machinist paid better than flying. I have a cousin, age 75, still flying a Pawnee in SE MO Cotton.

Thanks for the fun. Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri