Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

"The Raven" a kitfox avid clone!!!!!

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I am curios to know if anybody has looked at the plans for this avid clone. If so which avid does it clone. My guess would be the "A" or "B" model. I am curios if the subaru engine could be used in this ...????

BillE

Edited by BillE

Posted

I have seen pictues of this fuselage somewhere, it is similar to an A model with some extra gussets, unless you where building a single seater, I think you could find a fuselage that was either rebuildable or darn near design your own, those plans are so cheap they probably don't have much detail.

Posted (edited)

I am curios to know if anybody has looked at the plans for this avid clone. If so which avid does it clone. My guess would be the "A" or "B" model. I am curios if the subaru engine could be used in this ...????

BillE

It just so happens that I am the owner of a partially welded, partially tacked, 98% complete fuselage which was supposed to have been made from the Raven prints. It looks to me like the Kitfox One, but would have to match up the doors to see if it a one or two.

I have about 90% of the parts, tailfeathers, controls, interior, doors, landing gear (no wheels), tailwheel, , gas tank, cowling, etc, and it is for sale cheap at $3K for everything I can supply with it. You can't buy the material and parts for that price. I also have fixtures for building wing ribs, but no wings - and one flaperon that needs riveting at one end. You can also take along the tail end (cabin back) of my KF1 with the larger modified tail.

You need to move the battery back nearly to the tail for balance with the EA81.

I am 70 and in process of building another version of my own design. I will never get to building another one.

I wish someone could come and pick it up, as the thought of building a box, packing parts, and high priced freight just don't get me too excited. I am located 25 miles south of St. Louis, just off of I-55.

PS. I don't have the plans and never saw them. I just bought it and took the man's word for what it was.

I had a wrecked KF One before buying this one, and it had a subaru in it. My builder is getting a soob EA81 also.

Ed in MO I also have the KF1 Builders manual which I will include.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I am curios to know if anybody has looked at the plans for this avid clone. If so which avid does it clone. My guess would be the "A" or "B" model. I am curios if the subaru engine could be used in this ...huh.gif?

BillE

I have a Subaru EA81 in my Avid+ and I like the motor but it is heavy; 200lb before radiators and fluids. I sure wouldn't recommend it for an Avid A or B model; they are a lot lighter GW than the Avid MK4 at 1150 lb or the Avid+ at 1250 lb. The MK4 requires lead weights on the tail spring as well as the battery in the back of the fusalage just to get the CG in range My Avid+ is 18" longer (built to take the heavier motor) and I still placed the battery and ELT 6' behind the seat plus I need to have a min of 10lb of gear in the rear cargo area to be in the CG range. The biggest problem though is the A and B models are built a lot lighter duty; i.e. smaller tubing. It would be a bad idea to put a Subie in an A or B model for safety sake and it would likely not fly too well.

Posted

It just so happens that I am the owner of a partially welded, partially tacked, 98% complete fuselage which was supposed to have been made from the Raven prints. It looks to me like the Kitfox One, but would have to match up the doors to see if it a one or two.

I have about 90% of the parts, tailfeathers, controls, interior, doors, landing gear (no wheels), tailwheel, , gas tank, cowling, etc, and it is for sale cheap at $3K for everything I can supply with it. You can't buy the material and parts for that price. I also have fixtures for building wing ribs, but no wings - and one flaperon that needs riveting at one end. You can also take along the tail end (cabin back) of my KF1 with the larger modified tail.

I am 70 and in process of building another version of my own design. I will never get to building another one.

I wish someone could come and pick it up, as the thought of building a box, packing parts, and high priced freight just don't get me too excited. I am located 25 miles south of St. Louis, just off of I-55.

PS. I don't have the plans and never saw them. I just bought it and took the man's word for what it was.

I had a wrecked KF One before buying this one, and it had a subaru in it. My builder is getting a soob EA81 also.

Posted (edited)

I still have it - and I have a DVD now that is supposed to give the plans, but dont know if the dvd plans are Avid or Kitfox clone - I havent looked at it.

Really hope you are close enough to help me scrounge for all the parts - I think I have enough for 2 1/2 planes, but am building one.

Will work with you on this, and we can correspond thru personal message system on here. I am not good at puters, and dont think I have email currently. I also have the builders manual for the Kitfox One, and can copy it for you, or include it with kit.

ED in MO

P.S. Wife would be happy if I get rid of some stuff too!

Ed,

Do you still have this stuff (Raven & KF1) for sale? I would be interested in buying it from you. Please contact me at your convenience.

JJ

jpratt1099@msn.com or (208) six8one-fiftyone fiftyone

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed,

Do you still have this stuff (Raven & KF1) for sale? I would be interested in buying it from you. Please contact me at your convenience.

JJ

Posted (edited)

Ed,

JJ

I sent you a private message on here.

ED in Missouri

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

I’m gonna guess that at $8 for a set of plans; this probably isn’t something a first time builder could successfully complete?  

https://plansforu.com/plans/raven-kitfox-replica-plans/

I’ve worked as an A&P apprentice during college (didn’t do the 3,000 hrs required to get my certification), and have lots of auto & motorcycle building and modifying experience. I’ve got the ability just not sure if I have the discipline or patience to complete a project from scratch ..

Edited by Rogue_Ryder

Posted

I.P. theft is really tacky.

Posted

I’m gonna guess that at $8 for a set of plans; this probably isn’t something a first time builder could successfully complete?  

https://plansforu.com/plans/raven-kitfox-replica-plans/

I’ve worked as an A&P apprentice during college (didn’t do the 3,000 hrs required to get my certification), and have lots of auto & motorcycle building and modifying experience. I’ve got the ability just not sure if I have the discipline or patience to complete a project from scratch ..

I bought those years ago and was really impressed with them yes you need to fill in the blanks but thats not so bad. I have pulled plans from old popular mechanic magazine that were alot worse.

1 person likes this

Posted

You can install a Subaru but it is very heavy. A friend had on on his MK4. He had to add weight back in front of his tail wheel to keep her from being very nose heavy.

It performed well and the engine was much cheaper than the usual engines used.

John M