Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

NEED SOOB / FOX / AVID ENGINE MOUNT PHOTO

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just mounted my EA-81 with the Pelican mount on the firewall of my Fox. Got it WAY Low!Need to come up at least 3 inches, but 7 inches would be lots better. Only problem, with this mount, anything more than 3 inches would put bumps in my upper cowl on each side. My oil pan hangs about 5 inches below the lower firewall. My prop clearence is about minus an inch or two!!!

Was wondering if anyone could post some photos, Kitfox prefered, but maybe Avid helpful, of your mount/engine/firewall setup.

Many Thanks for any help.

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed. What model Kitfox do you have?

Brett at Airdale may be able to help you.

Posted

Ed, These are from my Avid+. The motor mount was originally for an Avid and just slightly modified for the Avid+. The blue conical mounts bolted onto the motor came from Stratus. I only have pictures of the top ones but there are also ones on the bottom that bolt to the motor block and then to the motor mount. I know Stratus sells them because I bought mine separately from the motor.

post-75-13326150898595_thumb.jpg

post-75-1332615204211_thumb.jpg

post-75-13326153375546_thumb.jpg

post-75-13326154976593_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Ed. What model Kitfox do you have?

Brett at Airdale may be able to help you.

Thank you and Suberavid both for your posts. What model? NONE, but using Dean's fuselage and wing design as a base, with Denny's mods as in the Kitfox Two thru Five, With lots of strengthening - highly modified scratchbuilt clone here, but lots of the original so some parts are still useable.

Airdale uses the stratus, don't know if they ever did a Reductions - doubt it. The photos that Suberavid sent will be very helpful and nice work to look at - Now, I have to learn this new puter enough to print them. This new windows program kicks me off of the forum everytime I look at a photo and try to go back to the post. Our old system didn't do that - painfully enept - me too!!!!

Many Thanks. That exhaust system sure looks good - is that a homebrew - not Stratus for sure unless he changed designs.

My roof was raised six inches and seats raised the same amount - Got supernice boatseats from Cabelas for $35 each on sale.

Dum-ass designer (me) forgot to raise IP, Cowl, and engine to match! Getting new appointment at weld shop!

Now - Think I have this fingered out - someday will post photos when successful - I hope! Still getting a nose gear design done that I like better than the Kitfox design (which looks like it came from Van's or Glassair?/GlassStar? Anyone know the specs on that skinny tube or rod they used for a nose gear? Just nosey.

BTW: I have 14 inch FLAPS and Ailerons with seperate controls - something like a Cessna with push-pull tubes, using Steve Wittman's tube within a tube design instead of the cables that break and turn my beard white! My Horizontal attaches like a Piper or Maule - Lots stronger than KF, I think.

GOOD FLYING - Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed, When you open up a picture, there should be a box in the lower right hand corner that says close with an X next to it. That will close the picture but not boot you off the page.

You should also just be able to click off the picture and it will go away too.

I will look into your forum settings on your profile and see if there is something funky checked off on it.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Ed, When you open up a picture, there should be a box in the lower right hand corner that says close with an X next to it. That will close the picture but not boot you off the page.

You should also just be able to click off the picture and it will go away too.

I will look into your forum settings on your profile and see if there is something funky checked off on it.

Thanks - Trying again - Had MSN for homepage with this new puter - Went back to Yahoo like the old puter had, so that may have been the problem - Almost certain it had nothing to do with your site - Just untrained new puter and dum ole user!

I will let you know if I still have problems.

Thanks for patience.

NOTE: just tried it , and it works as good as before.

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

It should have nothing to do with the home page. I am thinking perhaps it could have something to do with screen resolution settings, and how big the pictures show up on your screen. Some guys post some MONSTER pictures so you havet o scroll up n down left and right to see the whole picture, and the actual forum page will dissapear all together. I may go in a limit the picture size , but the forum software will automaticaly change the pic size, nothing you will have to do on your end.