Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Riblett Letter - Extending Leading Edge - VGs

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I have read with great interest, the comments that builders and flyers have made about the increased weight of the EA-81 and the forward CGs, adding weight to tail to correct, etc.

The post about Harry Riblett's findings and his recommendations to extend the leading edge, and the letter from the other man who put VGs under the leading edge, now have me considering making a fiberglass extension to match the specs Harry gave. I have worked with glass lots over the past 50 years. I would probably use one lamination of carbon-fiber cloth bertween glass layers.

First, I have to finish my fuselage, and my wings are ready to cover, so if this experiment happens, it will need to be the next step. I will post photos and results if anyone interested.

Note: I already have the plastic LE from kitfox installed, so will continue to use that profile on LE extensions. Could fill them with instant foam unless someone knows why this would not be good.

All comments are welcome. I am only planning to make one set, unless there is a LOT of incentive.

Ed in MO

Posted

Ed- Aerotrek uses a fiberglass leading edge cuff that is larger than the Kitfox/Avid PVC leading edge extrusion.

post-53-13327354471014_thumb.jpg

post-53-13327354479678_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Ed- Aerotrek uses a fiberglass leading edge cuff that is larger than the Kitfox/Avid PVC leading edge extrusion.

Thanks for the post - However, you did not show how far it extends the LE. Are those ribs and spars same size, like Avid?

Can this be bought? This looks like it only wraps around the LE spar - not extending it forward?

If it don't fit, then I still have to make mine. Going back to read Harry's letter: He said 2, I am going 3 inches Forward.

Nice looking plane Doug. Makes mine look "Cheap?...Chinzy?....Clumbzy?....Ah HA!....Ekonomikal !!!! One out of 4 aint bad!!!

Good Flying

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Ed- I didn't take any pics of the cuff specifically but here's a couple more that might help give you a better idea. It definitely extends the LE further forward of the front spar than the PVC extrusion. Unfortunately, the SLSA dealer does not sell parts to a non-owner for liability reasons (I tried a couple years ago to buy a cowl from them). Wonder how he'll like me now?? At any rate, I posted the pics as an example of something that might be doable as a D.I.Y. Heck, if you make a mold you could go into biz selling 'em!

[edit] and yes, same size and distance between spars. I can actually bolt my Avid wings to the Aeropro. :)

post-53-13327756175759_thumb.jpg

post-53-13327756186884_thumb.jpg

Edited by dholly

Posted

Ed- I didn't take any pics of the cuff specifically but here's a couple more that might help give you a better idea. It definitely extends the LE further forward of the front spar than the PVC extrusion. Unfortunately, the SLSA dealer does not sell parts to a non-owner for liability reasons (I tried a couple years ago to buy a cowl from them). Wonder how he'll like me now?? At any rate, I posted the pics as an example of something that might be doable as a D.I.Y. Heck, if you make a mold you could go into biz selling 'em!

[edit] and yes, same size and distance between spars. I can actually bolt my Avid wings to the Aeropro. :)

Great Looking Factory Ribs. Yes, I remember your post about no SLSA parts sold to non-owners. Will you still be eligeble if you convert to E-LSA?

I will probably build a mold - only need one mold - planning not to do whole wingspan - will be minus a foot on root and tip, and beveled back to original from there. Going to check with DOT for maximum load width on our roads - If I can get by with eight feet, six inches, then I will extend three inches on each wing, just barely keeping legal for trailering.

I am thinking obout 1/16 x 1 aluminum rib extensions for support for the LE, but that might be overkill. (Maybe 1/32?) I have a tendency to overbuild - sometimes get into trouble weightwise.

Ed in MO

Posted

102 inch is legal in Missouri I have hauled plenty of semi-trailers throughout your state and never needed a permit until I was over that, and if it is only an occaissional deal the permits are cheap. 102 is legalin all states, I know california will only allow 40 foot trailers except on designated routes, but very rarely enforced.

Posted (edited)

102 inch is legal in Missouri I have hauled plenty of semi-trailers throughout your state and never needed a permit until I was over that, and if it is only an occaissional deal the permits are cheap. 102 is legalin all states, I know california will only allow 40 foot trailers except on designated routes, but very rarely enforced.

ssss

Thanks - my Flyer Friend verified the 102 today. Got so many things to do to finish fuselage, but did a little research and believe the cheapest, easiest way to extend LE would be with Aluminum. All of this is just thinking for the future.

So sorry to hear an Avid crashed and we lost a Flyer.

Ed in MO

Update on this thread after a long time - I used 1 1/4"DS diameter aluminum tube for leading edge, mounted on 4" plywood rib extensions and covered them with 1mm Finnish plywood about 12" wide - also converted undercambered ribs to a modified Riblett profile.  Adding separate 1`5" chord flaps and ailerons with separate controls.   See other Kitfox IV posts and FOXY FLAPPER FOTOS.   EDMO 

Edited by EDMO