Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox IV 1050 to 1200 GW increase

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Gang:

Holy cow. I not only posted this in the wrong category but it's apparently a topic of some vigorous contention. Never mind.

EB

Edited by Emory Bored

Posted

For the record, I've run my 1050 way over 1200 and it performs fine and is not stressing any part of the airframe. Remember the Kitfox IV wing is almost identical to the V, VI, VII and SS wing. The later planes can be "grossed" up to 1550.

If you are considering a 1050 and the weight limitations are bothering you, not to worry. I would be glad to talk off line with you on this subject.

Posted

One thing to remember.... These are experimental. NOTHING in my FAA paperwork lists a gross weight. Not on the airworthiness, not on the opreating limitations, nowhere. None of the paperwork I have looked at on others planes shows anything either. I dont plan on loading it up to 1200+ and pulling 6 Gs so I am not sweating anything on mine. If I can stuff it in there, it has always gotten it off the ground. Even cleared the trees at the end of the strip :lmao:

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Gang:

Holy cow. I not only posted this in the wrong category but it's apparently a topic of some vigorous contention. Never mind.

EB

I dont think that this site, unlike some others, is a site of "contentions". We may have differing thoughts, but we respect others, and anything is usually interesting to me.

I dont know about the later wing spars, but I know the KF5 has the same spars as the 1,2,3,4. The crossover tubes were heavied, as well as the struts. I also know that even "certified planes" take off at over-gross, and the GW is concluded to be "landing weights" by many. The flight manuals on some "good" planes dictate a fuel-dump before landing to get the weight decreased to the "certified" GW, or landing weight.

I do remember that some Kitfox models were weight-restricted because of engine power, and not structural, but don't know how many 503's are still in use. I believe that the KF4, short-wing, 503, was 1050?

YOU will be fine at 1200, IMO

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

One thing to remember.... These are experimental. NOTHING in my FAA paperwork lists a gross weight. Not on the airworthiness, not on the opreating limitations, nowhere. None of the paperwork I have looked at on others planes shows anything either. I dont plan on loading it up to 1200+ and pulling 6 Gs so I am not sweating anything on mine. If I can stuff it in there, it has always gotten it off the ground. Even cleared the trees at the end of the strip :lmao:

:BC:

I believe that on the paper for flights tests, or sign-off for phase II, it has a statement like - "this aircraft was flown at _____WEIGHT, and performed the following manuvers, or some such words. Old codgers, like me, who wont take a chance on a failed physical, are limited to the 1320 LSA, but that is another story.

P.S. Love your smiley-face inserts, but my ineptness (is that a word?) inhibits me. ;<)

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

In 2001 I ordered materials from skystar to build a new wing for a Classic IV. This note was included with the instructions.

"In September 1997 Skystar started supplying longer stronger spar incerts for the wings on the model 3, 4-1050, 4-1200, XL, Speedster, Classic IV, and 1200 lb gross weight Vixens (pre serries 5)"

It cautioned you to mark your original builder's manual spar incert instructions with an X and use new instructions included for installing the heavier incerts.

I don't know for sure but suspect the heavier incert was part of the increase to 1550 lb maximum gross on the later "Big" Kitfoxes.

Posted

I believe that on the paper for flights tests, or sign-off for phase II, it has a statement like - "this aircraft was flown at _____WEIGHT, and performed the following manuvers, or some such words. Old codgers, like me, who wont take a chance on a failed physical, are limited to the 1320 LSA, but that is another story.

P.S. Love your smiley-face inserts, but my ineptness (is that a word?) inhibits me. ;<)

Ed in MO

Two ways that you can put the smileys in the post. On the right hand side of the text box your typing in you should see the Emoticons box. you can click on any of those and they will be placed into the text box where the cusor is. the other way is to just type in the code as your typing. I have pretty simple codes for most of them. : lol : (take out the spaces) will give your this one smilielol.gif : lmao : gives ya this one lmao.gif and of course my favorite wat to end a post... : bc : is BC.gif the good ole beer chug cheers!

Oh, and over here, my favorite part of the site... if ya act like a jack ass, we dont have a problem calling ya one! Kinda funny, I have a site that I dont do any post moderation on (other than if you ask me to change a title or something) and it is the one site that I visit where no one has ever gotten out of hand and needed a post to be moderated :lol: Go figure. Of course, I think alot of that has to do with the guys that like to stir the pot (other than me) are afraid to post up the BS here cause they know we will lamblast the crap outta them and have a good time doing it :lmao:

BC.gif

Posted

In 2001 I ordered materials from skystar to build a new wing for a Classic IV. This note was included with the instructions.

"In September 1997 Skystar started supplying longer stronger spar incerts for the wings on the model 3, 4-1050, 4-1200, XL, Speedster, Classic IV, and 1200 lb gross weight Vixens (pre serries 5)"

It cautioned you to mark your original builder's manual spar incert instructions with an X and use new instructions included for installing the heavier incerts.

I don't know for sure but suspect the heavier incert was part of the increase to 1550 lb maximum gross on the later "Big" Kitfoxes.

I have the KF1, 4, and 5 manuals, and have read what you state about the inserts.

However, I watched Earl Edgar, in Palmer?, Wasilla?, build his KF5, and it had the same molded-in vertical fin inside the spars as my KF1 & 2.

Maybe he got the last of them, but this was a 5, long after the 4 instructions. I also have the Avid book on spar inserts for Magnum.

Donno? One more of lifes mysteries?

Ed in MO

Posted

I have the KF1, 4, and 5 manuals, and have read what you state about the inserts.

However, I watched Earl Edgar, in Palmer?, Wasilla?, build his KF5, and it had the same molded-in vertical fin inside the spars as my KF1 & 2.

Maybe he got the last of them, but this was a 5, long after the 4 instructions. I also have the Avid book on spar inserts for Magnum.

Donno? One more of lifes mysteries?

Ed in MO

Hi Ed,

Is is possible for you to post the info on the spar inserts for the Avid Magnum?

Thanks,

Randy

Posted

Kitfox still uses an extruded aluminum "I" beam inside the spars for added rigidity. The new ones are now 60" long, where the older inserts were shorter. I think my model IV inserts are 48" long...

Posted

Kitfox still uses an extruded aluminum "I" beam inside the spars for added rigidity. The new ones are now 60" long, where the older inserts were shorter. I think my model IV inserts are 48" long...

Posted

Hi Ed,

Is is possible for you to post the info on the spar inserts for the Avid Magnum?

Thanks,

Randy

There are about (4) different versions of Magnum stiffeners...

Posted

Hi Ed,

Thanks,

Randy

As soon as I can dig out my Magnum manual, I will post what I have.

Ed in MO