Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

EA-82 Power

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So after deciding against the VW and looking in to the Subaru's I have a few questions for those of you more knowledgeable than myself.

First, whats the big differences between the EA-81 and the EA-82? I found an EA-82 locally for sale and wouldn't mind picking it up for possible future Avid use.

Second, whats needed for a conversion. (other than a redrive) I've found a few links and it looks rather simple.

Also, I assume i'd need to make a custom motor mount unless someone makes them. It also seems best to do the 16 inch stretch on the fuselage to minimize the amount of weight needed near the tail.

Its a little ways off but would be fun. The fuselage could use a shiny new fabric and paint job. hmm... Any info or advice would be appreciated. If I find a 4 stroke that I'm happy with and doesn't break the bank then i might just decide not to sell it and start putting some more time on it.

Darcy

Edited by DeltaFlyer

Posted (edited)

I will have to refer to my Finch, and Mick Myal books for all the differences of 81/82. The best I remember is that the 82 is heavier and less desireable than the 81. RFI & RAM could give you more info.

Did you check ebay for the Reductions 81 with PSRU and Warp Drive prop for $2500 - probably includes mount. Sounds like a better bargain than I got on mine, by about $1000. I may be able to get in contact with the owner if you cant find it.

I have a spare, stock, 72 hp EA-81 that I gave $1000 for. My worked-over, Reductions 81, with PSRU and mount was like $2800 without a prop. If you buy a used engine, look for one with about 30K on it, without a front-end wreck. The Japanese have to overhaul or replace any engine after 30K, so they replace and send the old engines here for resale.

The best was the Jap dual carb, but scarce now. Next best is later models with automatic tranny - hydraulic lifters & bigger valves.

A PSRU alone will cost you 2500 to 4000 new, and you have to buy a mount. A new Warp Drive 3-blade prop is around $1000.

You can get a complete engine setup from RAM for about 4k, I think, and 8 or 9K from Stratus, and these are higher horses and overhauled. If you go it alone, you are working with a stock 72 hp. There is also the problem of either converting the computer and wiring system, or designing an ignition setup, and what carb to use, grinding the cam, milling the heads, PSRU, mount, etc.

Lots of work went into perfecting these conversions.

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

I have searched thru my two books and find no info on the 82. I may have some "CONTACT" mags stored away, and I remember Don Parnham writing about converting the 82, but dont think I can find them easily.

Why dont you contact, Raven, Ram, Stratus, or even Eggenfeldner and ask the people who do most of the conversions.

Dave Johnson, who did the "Reductions" EA-81 conversions in Dugald, Manatoba, died last September, and his company no longer exists.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks for the info Ed. I have another question that this engine talk raises. A friend let me know yesterday that hes got a C85 for my J3. :) So that leaves my A75 free to sell or use. Looking from a numbers perspective the dry weight is 170 lbs and it produces more thrust than a VW for its dispacement. Gets me wondering if anyone has ever put a Continental on the nose of an Avid. I"m sure its been done but i'm too new to the Avid world to know how it worked out. I'm just thinking that if i have a perfectly good engine that I just put new bearings and rings into, i'd like to use it. I guess that still brings up the question of engine mount, cowling work and prop.

Posted

Thanks for the info Ed. I have another question that this engine talk raises. A friend let me know yesterday that hes got a C85 for my J3. :) So that leaves my A75 free to sell or use. Looking from a numbers perspective the dry weight is 170 lbs and it produces more thrust than a VW for its dispacement. Gets me wondering if anyone has ever put a Continental on the nose of an Avid. I"m sure its been done but i'm too new to the Avid world to know how it worked out. I'm just thinking that if i have a perfectly good engine that I just put new bearings and rings into, i'd like to use it. I guess that still brings up the question of engine mount, cowling work and prop.

Absolutely, this has been done. Usually the reason for not doing it is the cost of a certified engine, and the weight which is less than a redrive Subaru. Now that I have talked in regard to Kitfoxes, the Avid guys can give you better feedback. I'm not sure which model you have, or much about any but the Airdale and the Magnum.

Ed in MO

Posted

I have seen a guy posting up about an Avid MK IV he put an 0200 in. He seems to like the combo. The mission with dictate how well it will work for you. If you want a lazy (slow) cross country plane, you can put the heavier engines in them and take away usefull load and give up your STOL. If you are into hitting the small short rough back country strips, keeping it LIGHT is the key.

Yes it can be done, and it may just be the perfect combo for you, it is all mission dependant though. Adding 50 # on the nose of a plane that generally comes out nose heavy anyway is not a great idea in my book. I hate to say it, but in the light weight, HP versus thrust the 912 wins hands down every time. There is a reason that the military uses it in the drones and UAVs.. It simply works the best. Cutting edge technology is normaly developed for the military or other intel agencies. We have the CIA to thank for Lithium batteries etc. They tend to use what works (most of the time) :lol:

:BC:

Posted

I fly and extended speed wing heavily modified avid c with and a75 on the nose. My empty weight is about 710 and operate out of 1500 ft rough grass with no problems. Cruise speed is about 105 at 2350 with a 70x40 prop

Posted (edited)

I have seen a guy posting up about an Avid MK IV he put an 0200 in. He seems to like the combo. The mission with dictate how well it will work for you. If you want a lazy (slow) cross country plane, you can put the heavier engines in them and take away usefull load and give up your STOL. If you are into hitting the small short rough back country strips, keeping it LIGHT is the key.

Yes it can be done, and it may just be the perfect combo for you, it is all mission dependant though. Adding 50 # on the nose of a plane that generally comes out nose heavy anyway is not a great idea in my book. I hate to say it, but in the light weight, HP versus thrust the 912 wins hands down every time. There is a reason that the military uses it in the drones and UAVs.. It simply works the best. Cutting edge technology is normaly developed for the military or other intel agencies. We have the CIA to thank for Lithium batteries etc. They tend to use what works (most of the time) :lol:

Well, the military is loaded with our $$$! Old retirees are not. Also, lazy, poor, A & Ps dont like high cost/maintenance on old long-stroke, magneto-failing, engines. Also have the same thoughts about Rotax. Changing the $1 sparkplugs in the Soob every 100,000 miles is enough for me.;<)

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

I think you are operating on some misconceptions about Rotax engines.

I have operated my flying 912 for over 300 hours now and it has cost me nothing but a couple of oil changes ( less than my motorcycle ) and two sets of spark plugs (2.50 each). They are very low maintenance engines.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

I think you are operating on some misconceptions about Rotax engines.

I have operated my flying 912 for over 300 hours now and it has cost me nothing but a couple of oil changes ( less than my motorcycle ) and two sets of spark plugs (2.50 each). They are very low maintenance engines.

I only know what I have read and heard. Maybe the 912 is better than the 2-strokes for maintenance? But what about overhauls?

And, if I have to put out $20K for an engine, I may as well go with a certified, or better yet, a cheaper, used certified.

My budget is limited, so I have to go cheap, and the Soob is cheap and reliable, and really cheap to rebuild and maintain.

IMO, To each his own.

ED in MO

Posted

I only know what I have read and heard. Maybe the 912 is better than the 2-strokes for maintenance? But what about overhauls?

And, if I have to put out $20K for an engine, I may as well go with a certified, or better yet, a cheaper, used certified.

My budget is limited, so I have to go cheap, and the Soob is cheap and reliable, and really cheap to rebuild and maintain.

IMO, To each his own.

ED in MO

I do have to say I am impressed with the soob on Randy's Fat Avid. It performs pretty darn well and it sound pretty dang good with the muffler system he has on it. I like the sound of it better than the 912!

Posted (edited)

I do have to say I am impressed with the soob on Randy's Fat Avid. It performs pretty darn well and it sound pretty dang good with the muffler system he has on it. I like the sound of it better than the 912!

Wonder if he has the Stratus muffler? Heard they were good, and may add 10 hp, but $400, if that is right, is costly. Right now I am thinking about two 12inch long glasspacks as a cheap option. We don't do much sandbar flying here - biggest concern is finding flat land that is not wall-to-wall trees.

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I think Randy's is a super trap, but not certain. I know you can add or take away disks to make it louder or quieter. It looks good and sounds even better!

Posted

I think Randy's is a super trap, but not certain. I know you can add or take away disks to make it louder or quieter. It looks good and sounds even better!

Believe one of our guys in EAA 32 had one on his Eggenfeldner engine. Had disks or something backward and lost engine power until he figured it out, but it sure was quiet.

I have heard that the Stratus is very good.

Ed in MO

Posted

Believe I have found some info on the EA-82. Photo on RAM Performance site, South Carolina, looks like it was a double-overhead cam engine, much wider and heavier than the EA-81. I had remembered that it was not as desirable as the 81, although RFI did convert some of them with redrives for gyros or rotorcraft. Also believe the flywheel housing was cast in one piece with the block, instead of a seperate casting as for the 81.

ED in MO