Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rotax Starters

3 posts in this topic

Posted

I had troubles with my stock Rotax starter so I bought a GPL starter so I would have backup in case the battery went dead I could hand start it.  The GPL starter will not fit on an Avid without major modifications to the engine mounts.  I pulled the rotax starter apart and the armature was real dirty, yet the brushes looked fine and had lots of life left in them... I put a cordless drill on the brush end of starter and spun it up using a piece of emery cloth to clean the armature up.  I took out a few shallow pits etc and now she works good as new!  For those of you who are having problems I would take the time to pull the starter apart instead of spending 700 bucks on a new one.  Any local automotive starter/alternator rebuild house should be able to fix you up with new brushes etc. if you need them.  WAYYYYYY better than the rotax prices.

I am also told that a starter off a 2000 sea doo personal water craft will bolt right up and work.. that one lists at 219.00 new.. dealer price is around 145.00.

Posted

Leni,

How much time was on the starter when it went bad?  Or even better, can you gestimate the number of cycles, or starts since new?

Posted

the Hobbs shows 226.8 hrs, I put probably 20-30 starts on pretending to fly and break in...At first it ripped it over then the RPM just started slowing down till it would just barely turn it over.. I figured the solenoid was bad so I jumped that, then went straight to the starter with a new battery... no help...  Quick clean up of the armature and she was good to go.... I am redesigning the box in the firewall so I can pull the starter without having to pull the engine.. I don't know why the hell they did not make that box a bolt on instead to a rivet on to begin with.?