Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Spin characteristics of a Mark IV

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Has anyone had any experience with spins or how this bird reacts prior to a spin Entry?

Posted

Has anyone had any experience with spins or how this bird reacts prior to a spin Entry?

It is not an easy thing to do! Stalls are stupid simple with ALOT of mushing and buffet. you have to work at it to get the darn thing to break (as in pull up very abruptly or use lots of power to keep the nose way up there).

:BC:

Posted

It is not an easy thing to do! Stalls are stupid simple with ALOT of mushing and buffet. you have to work at it to get the darn thing to break (as in pull up very abruptly or use lots of power to keep the nose way up there).

Well sounds good. I have just bought a Mark IV and haven't had a chance to get it home and fly it. I own a Maule MX7 and it is really docile on the break and easy to control with rudder. Hope this one flies like it too. Sounds like its going to be fun.

Posted

Well sounds good. I have just bought a Mark IV and haven't had a chance to get it home and fly it. I own a Maule MX7 and it is really docile on the break and easy to control with rudder. Hope this one flies like it too. Sounds like its going to be fun.

What wing do you have on it? Speed, Stol or Heavy Hauler? They all break about the same with the stall coming on a little more agressive on the speed wing, but still nothing compared to a 152 or any other spam can I have flown. They are all easily controled with the rudder, and all you have to do is relax a little back pressure and your flying again. VERY gentle on the stall. One thing that is going to be different is the turn coordination. With the flaperons, you get more adverse yaw that you are used to so you have to stay on the rudder pedals. It wont take long to be flying it coordinated, but you are going to be in for a little bit or a surprise when you first get in it trying to keep the ball centered. It is all very easy to learn and VERY fun to fly! Light on the controls and good performance as long as you are not expecting to ever see more than 95-100 on the ASI smilielol.gif

BC.gif

Posted

What wing do you have on it? Speed, Stol or Heavy Hauler? They all break about the same with the stall coming on a little more agressive on the speed wing, but still nothing compared to a 152 or any other spam can I have flown. They are all easily controled with the rudder, and all you have to do is relax a little back pressure and your flying again. VERY gentle on the stall. One thing that is going to be different is the turn coordination. With the flaperons, you get more adverse yaw that you are used to so you have to stay on the rudder pedals. It wont take long to be flying it coordinated, but you are going to be in for a little bit or a surprise when you first get in it trying to keep the ball centered. It is all very easy to learn and VERY fun to fly! Light on the controls and good performance as long as you are not expecting to ever see more than 95-100 on the ASI smilielol.gif

BC.gif

Well thanks for all the info, it has a heavy hauler wing on it and a 582. I have a Tbird II also and its really squirrely on the ground and not to bad in the air but is still a hand full. I just dont feel comfortable in the Tbird, not enough air frame around me and too big of a wing. 36' wing span and 18' long, can't hold it down on the ground when the wind is blowing, which it never stops in South Dakota. As far as speed 95 to 100 is just right for me, want low and slow for watching critters along the Missouri River in South Dakota. I have lots of flat grass lands and river bluffs to play around in so its going to be a lot of fun. My Maule is great flying too but I wanted something slower and cheaper to fly chasing coyotes and things around the patch. Talked with Bret about the wide gear and found grove wheels and Air Streak wheels to fit 1.25 axles on the new gear and hopefully that doesnt mess up the weight and balance on the bird. Any suggestions on that?

Thanks,

Ole

Posted

your gonna love it me thinks! The bird will be perfect for your mission. Take it up and play with it and I think you will be happy with the stall on it. You have to work at it to keep in a stall. With the HH wing and 582.. probly gonna be closer to 85-90 in reality at a 5800 RPM cruise. Sounds like your familiar with 2 strokes and how to keep the pilot cooling fan turning. If not, ask lots of questions and get a firm grasp of the differences between flying 2 strokes and 4 strokes!

Your W&B will be ok. may have to put a little lead on the tail spring. Flying it with the CG at 18" makes it a whole new bird that I think you will like if your looking for short and slow!

Posted

Just imagine the diference between the Maule and a Cessna 182 or heavy Piper. Now, you have a light bird that floats on landing and finds all the potholes and bumps in the air, but great fun flying.

I used to drive a M4C, and 182T.

Ed in MO

Posted

I have extensively tried to spin my MK1V stol wing. I found that the airplane will not stay in a stall, therfore, the spin almost instantly turns into a spiral, rapidly picking up speed. In most cases, even while prepared for it, the airplane would rapidly approach VNE before the nose could be brought level. As a result of my testing, I have concluded that it is safer NOT to practice spinning the airplane. It has to really be forced into it, and then instantly spirals. I attribute this to the airfoil and washout, as with any rotation, the upper wing is flying again. Actually, I don't believe that the wings fully stall, but just does not develope enough lift to full support the airplanes weight, thus the mushing.

my .0002€

larry

Posted (edited)

This is related... spin testing a EuroFox/Aerotrek. CLICK HERE

When we get the new wings on my Aerotrek, my CFI / Test Pilot will have the honors.

Edited by dholly

Posted (edited)

This is related... spin testing a EuroFox/Aerotrek. CLICK HERE

When we get the new wings on my Aerotrek, my CFI / Test Pilot will have the honors.

Cool video Doug. There was another listed there that I liked too, showing accellerated spins.

I hated spins, but had to do them to get license. Dont even consider it now - just straight and level unless I see something below me that needs a closer look - like a bikini!

Back when I was doing my training, I remember two idiots at 10,000 over the runway and asked for permission to land - the controller started asking, "what is your location?", and the answer was, "7000, 6000, 5000....."!!!!

And then they built that big stainless arch in St. Louis, for a goalpost.......

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri