Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Traveling to Alaska

30 posts in this topic

Posted

My son is planning to fly his plane to Anchorage this summer and leave it for a few months and commute up for long weekends to experience Alaskan backcountry flying.

I am considering towing my Kitfox to Anchorage to join him.

I have towed my Kitfox on an open trailer for thousands of miles on paved highways with no damage.

What can I expect towing to Alaska?

How much of the Highway is gravel from Vancouver BC?

How many miles from Vancouver BC and how many hours drive?

How about traveling by ferry?

It would be expensive but take less time and less wear and tear.

Any idea the cost involved to travel with a car and trailer/ airplane on the ferry?

What months are the best to fly in Alaska?

We want to experience Alaska and want land on as many gravel bars and remote strips and camp out a reasonable distance from civilization and fuel.

Would you suggest flying the area near Anchorage or say Dillingham where apparently Loni the cub driver shot some of his footage?

We are not looking for high risk flying but like challenging short strips.

Lots of queations and I will appreciate your advice.

Thanks Herman Pahls Oregon 541 404 6464

Posted (edited)

I will let the current Alaskans answer your questions. I haven't flown there for 10 years.

However, I have driven the ALCAN hwy 8 or 7 times, and all I can say is: POTHOLES AND FROST HEAVES!!!

Reconstruction starts every spring and ends when the snow comes in October - Lots of gravel stretches.\

You will beat up your KF, IMO, better to fly it up - However, I usually come the eastern routes, and catch the Alcan at Dawson Creek.

Haynes Junction north is usually the worst part, and gets worse toward border and maybe on to Tok, Alaska.

My last two round-trips were summers of 07 and 08. Maybe from border to Tok may be new highway by now.

You can get Alaska Ferry rates and schedules on internet.

Dress in layers - wool is good. Have plenty of Skeeter repellant. Must have gun, ammo, survival gear to fly in Alaska. Lights ON.

Be ready for strong-gusty winds if you try to land at Wolf Lake, North of Anchorage. I have aborted landings there.

Birchwood is a small strip just northeast of Anchorage. Palmer & Wasilla are close by. Tim Rittal, Realitor, is/was president of EAA 42, keeps his bird at Birchwood, as do some other members. University of Alaska, Anchorage, Aviation Dept where I schooled, is located at Merrill Field, Anchorage (controlled, busiest small airport in the world) and is a good place for info.

Adam "Big Reid" is fishing guide, Kenai River at Sterling (Big Sky Camping) small,short, private wooded strip nearby. Kenai / Soldotna airports close.

Small airport at Seward - take off from there and fly over Harding Ice fields - dress warm! Take boat tours from Seward and visit Sea Life Aquarium. Great Beer-battered Halibut at restraunt by boat dock. I got great "Alaskan Carrot" recipe from there.

Hope you have a wonderful trip to a beautiful land.

Good Flying.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Herman,

My brother brought his KF up from OK on a modified car trailer. He welded up some angle iron on the front of the trailer in the shape of a Vee and put a sheet of plywood on each side to act as a wind block and to keep any flying road debris from eating up the plane. When he got here we just had to vaccum the plane out from some road dust. he did not have a cabin cover on it ( I would recommend one). The roads are in pretty good shape, there is not very much gravel at all to deal with anymore.

As far as places to fly, you are only limited by your fuel range and testical size. There is a whole lot of open country here but you have to remember, you get VERY remote, very quick! Most of the areas that I fly there are NO ROADS so aircraft recovery is either fix it in the field, or helicopter it out should you have a mishap.

Getting out to dillingham is doable but will take some planning on fuel! What kind of plane is your son flying? Perhaps he can be your fuel caddy smilielol.gif

There are lots of areas you can get to pretty easily to keep you more than entertained in pretty short flights from the anchorage area. One word of caution. The Anchorage / valley area is ALWAYS windy. Its another 150 miles of senic road to drive to my neck of the woods, and you can bet on alot less wind 95% of the time. Soldotna airport is a great place to base out of and stay pretty central.

Are you looking to do some fishing too or just flying and camping?

If you are flying and camping remote, make sure you have adequate protection from the skeeters (look up bug shirts you wont regret having spent a few buck on them) that are as big as your plane and the bears that like to make your plane a chew toy. The .454 alaskan is a great choice for a side arm but you cant bring a pistol through canada. Buy one down there and ship it up, or just plan on buying one when you get here. A 12 gauge with slugs does a pretty good job too and is probably more along the lines of a good all around weapon for camping. Any rifle .308 or bigger is a good choice too but harder to carry. I like the pistol with a chest holster so it stays out of the way when fishing and it is very easy to carry that way!

If your planning on camping alot, DO NOT go for the cheap coleman tents. The weather can turn on you in a dime and you could be stuck someplace for a few days or a week. Spend the money on a good minimum 3 season tent that is as light as you can find. A 4 season would be better. There is nothing more miserable than a week in a wet tent that leaks or is so light weight that the wind folds it up on top of you.

A great way to haul fuel is the portable fuel bladders that you can buy from AK bushwheels. Expensive, but they collapse and can be stored very small rolled up and out of the way till you need them.

You can call the Alaska ferry system for schedules and rates.

If you are planning on fishing, what would you like to target? Trout? Salmon? This will determine the best times to come up. Weather can be very weird here. Last year we had the most beautiful spring imaginable, and a crappy summer. I think all summer I got less than 30 hrs of flying in (with my work schedule, it seems it was sunny when I was gone, raining and crappy when I was home). I work a 2 week on 2 week off schedule and will be off on the following days. June 27th to July 9th, July 25th to August 6th, August 22nd to September 3rd. I will be able to show you around a bit any time during those weeks.

I think AKflyerbob is pretty much open these days as he is retired and just spending his time trying to figure out which damn plane he will work on today, his Model III, Model IV or the Catalina smilielol.gif

If staying in the Anchorage area is more to your liking, Randy ( SuberAvid) is a GREAT guy and loves to play on the gravel bars up in that neck of the woods. He knows the area up there MUCH better than I do. At any rate, we have enough guys on here that live to fly and would really enjoy getting out with you and showing the place off.

If you would rather talk by phone you can call me on the cell phone. I am at work now, but am pretty flexible and will answer it if I am not in a meeting. 907-398-3755

There is lots to do up here and we have lots of toys to play with to get out and see lots of areas and enjoy the back country. Hope the trip works out and we get to spend some time playing follow the leader and make some meories!

BC.gif

Posted

If you want to have a pistol or gun for Alaska, or need help, call Jim West, Ray, or Ken at Wild West Guns in Anchorage. You might be able to ship one back and forth thru them. Recommend nothing less than .44 magnum or 12 ga slugs. That old 30-30 just makes them mad.

Check out WWG website. I used to work for Jim. We made the "Co-pilot", a take-down 45/70 lever-action that is real handy for airplane travel.

I also made new barrels for the Whaling harpoons to shoot the pipe-bomb torpedos into the whales. Oh-Oh, probably just caught the attention of Homeland Security, and I am a Charter member!!!

Buy

Big Pepperspray in Alaska - Canada wont let you have it. Don't lay fish on your tires - bears love it, especially with red-pepper!

Tell Jim West that I sent you.

Ed Ashby in MO

Posted (edited)

You guys are talking me out of Alaska.

I have never owned a gun but looks like I better if I come up North.

My son flys a modified Pacer on 31 inch bushwheels his sklls and plane are more capable than me and my Kitfox.

Alaska is on the BUCKET list and hope to cross it off the list soon.

We already use the Alaskan Bushwheel fuel bladders.

Leni: the wind and rain you mentioned are not encouraging.

I can stay here in Oregon for that.

I appreciate the time you 2 have taken responding to my questions.

My son suggested that we hire a guide to show us around in his/her plane versus going out on our own.

Leni: I will give you a call.

I have no interest in testing testicals.

Thanks Herman

Edited by herman pahls

Posted (edited)

You guys are talking me out of Alaska.

I have never owned a gun but looks like I better if I come up North.

My son flys a modified Pacer on 31 inch bushwheels his sklls and plane are more capable than me and my Kitfox.

Alaska is on the BUCKET list and hope to cross it off the list soon.

We already use the Alaskan Bushwheel fuel bladders.

Leni: the wind and rain you mentioned are not encouraging.

I can stay here in Oregon for that.

I appreciate the time you 2 have taken responding to my questions.

My son suggested that we hire a guide to show us around in his/her plane versus going out on our own.

Leni: I will give you a call.

I have no interest in testing testicals.

Thanks Herman

Now I feel badly. Sure did Love Alaska. Beautiful and much varied place, from Seward to Barrow. Loved the winters - went there to get away from the hot summers here in "Mizry". But Alaska is a land of extremes, and those extremes can kill you.

Did not want to scare you - but to be safe, you have to know how to survive there. BTW: Moose are killers too! and they can tear up a plane before you know it. Guns are a common as pocketknives there - they think nothing of it - just survival tools.

Try a ferry ride sometime, and explore Anchorage and area. People either love it or hate it.

A guide is an excellent idea for "Cheechakos" (newcomers) - and, you have Leni and Randy on here.

Best Wishes,

ED in Mizry

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Herman,

In no way would I try and talk you out of flying up here! On the contrary, I think once you get a taste of flying up here and the freedom we have I think you will be dissapointed flying anywhere else!

The Pacer is the PERFECT pack mule for those long trips. We have pulled the back seat on ours and loaded up 15 - 5 gallon cans in there. That gives you ALOT of options on places to go! Some areas of the state are better known for wind than others, but in no means should it discourage you from coming up here!!

With the pacer, he can pack along cute lil things like a "bear fence". They do work GREAT! A buddy has a bear fence around the massive tent camp he guides out of every summer and I have watched the bears come up, get zapped and high tail it out of there. You can get one set up pretty darn cheap if you pull the parts together yourself. Besides the 12 volt battery, the fencing and plastic stakes only weight a couple pounds.

:BC:

Posted

I'm glad Herman asked the question as I plan on doing the same thing soon. I go to Anchorage all the time with my cargo airline but have yet to fly a light plane in Alaska. I'm coming to the Alaska Airmen's show next month. It will be my first time attending and then I plan on doing some flying with a couple of friends that live in the area, one lives on a private strip in Wasilla (Pacer) and the other hangars at Birchwood(C180) so I'm looking forward to flying something in Alaska besides a 747. Thanks for the info guys.

Posted (edited)

Herman,

I really hope you go to Alaska and do some flying there. IMO, you should double-up in the Pacer and go have fun until you know the country better, and then consider the other plane. Guides and friendly advise from locals are both good ideas.

I loved winter flying the best - still do because it is so dang hot here in summer.

Dillingham may have a lot of low ceilings and miles of visibility below the clouds. Recommend Birchwood or Palmer / Wasilla as a base, or go on down to Soldotna as a second base. There is a rule-book on flying Alaska - guess you get it from FAA? Ask Leni.

Torch: Hope you get to enjoy the state too. Hope we have helped some.

P.S. All of the names I have listed can be found on internet sites or yellow pages. Give me for a reference.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Again I appreciate the flying in Alaska comments.

My sons Pacer will have his family with him.

I am starting to see that camping out in Alaska requires more preparation and has greater risks than most places in the lower 48.

It sounds like no matter where you land backcountry you should be armed even if it is only 10 miles from Anchorage.

Maybe it would be best for our first flying trip in Alaska to find a small town with a motel and fuel and do nearby day trips.

We are more interested in how many scenic take-off and landings we can do on beaches and gravel bars than flying long distances.

Legal to land gravel bars and beaches are limited here in Oregon.

Wasilla and Soldotna would probably have motels and Dillingham seems to be far off the beaten path plus the weather issue.

Any other towns that you would suggest for the day trip idea?

Thanks Herman

Posted

My sons Pacer will have his family with him.

I am starting to see that camping out in Alaska requires more preparation and has greater risks than most places in the lower 48.

It sounds like no matter where you land backcountry you should be armed even if it is only 10 miles from Anchorage.

Maybe it would be best for our first flying trip in Alaska to find a small town with a motel and fuel and do nearby day trips.

We are more interested in how many scenic take-off and landings we can do on beaches and gravel bars than flying long distances.

Legal to land gravel bars and beaches are limited here in Oregon.

Wasilla and Soldotna would probably have motels and Dillingham seems to be far off the beaten path plus the weather issue.

Any other towns that you would suggest for the day trip idea?

Thanks Herman

I dont want to sound bias here, however, for what you are looking at doing the Peninsula is one of your better bets (Soldotna area) There are miles of beachs (watch out for lines going down the beach for the commercial set net fisherman). It is a quick 20 minute flight across the inlet to a wide open land of cool little strips, miles and miles and miles of open beach, gravel bars, rivers, mountains etc. It is very centraly located, weather is pretty darn good most of the time and there are lots of hotels and motels.

I would say do a tour or Homer, Seldovia and several other easy to get to bays and inlets as well as around the Prince William sound area. Prince William sound area can get pretty nasty VERY quick though. It will go from calm winds to 40 knots in 30 minutes, but the scenery will take your breath away! Depending on water levels, some mind numbing high mountain lakes are within reach from the peninsula. If the water levels are low enough you can land on the beach, otherwise you need floats to get into them.

While alaska is a very big state, there are only a few roads that you can base out of easily and get fuel etc. I think with a little planning, we can get fuel droppped out to extend our range we can operate and see on day trips! With 20+ hours of good daylight, alot of area can be covered in a day! With a little planning, we can fly out to a great beach area, jump in a frieds boat, and run up the bay and put you up close and very personal with black and brown bears and have the safety of the boat.. or we can fly around and look at them from the air too.

The possibilities are pretty much endless as to what you can do, and how you can do it. All it takes is a little planning to get a basic idea of what you want and then branch out from there as weather and fuel range allows.

Posted

Leni

Your desription of things to see in Alaska is appealing.

Your warning regarding the fisherman set lines is appropriate.

A classmate of mine who is from Dillingham and fishes off the beaches there flipped his 185 a few years ago hitting one of those lines.

It is time to figure out how to make flying Alaska a reality.

Thanks Herman

Posted

Thanks Herman

Only one minor correction here: Not "10 Miles" - Not even 10 blocks, and you will be in "The Bush" as we call it. My wife was startled to see a Bull Moose walking down the sidewalk by Costco in the middle of Anchorage. I then took her about 6 blocks from my house and showed her 3 more big Mooses. I flew with fish & game tracking bears from Anchorage, and we spotted 8 brown bears with radio collars on before leaving the city limits. I think we spotted about 15 bears that day within a few miles of Anchorage and Eagle River.

Gosh, all this talk really makes me "homesick" for Alaska: I loved living there! Just can't afford it on my retirement pension.

"Outsiders", as we call everyone else, cannot imaging how big, varied, wild, and beautiful Alaska is.

I never got to take the inside passage boatride, but sure would like to someday.

Thats about all I got to say about that. (I think)

Ed in MO

Posted

Do not let the risks outweight the rewards! Just making you aware of the issues and there are many ways to mitigate the majority of the risks! A sure fire way to make sure YOU dont get eaten by the bears while you sleep, is to rub the left over bacon grease from breakfast on your sons tent.. Make sure you set yours up away from his. When you hear all the comotion, you will have time to wake up, take a shot of whiskey, then venture out and dispatch said bear without ever having him attack your tent! See its easy and there are answers for everything! smilielol.gif

It does not matter what it takes to make it happen, just do it! I dont think there is any way you can be dissapointed with a flying vacation up here!

Ed,

You can always come back for vacation and relive some of those memories! When yo uwere flying for the fin n feathers, did you ever run across a guy by the name of Van Wilson?? We go WAAAAY back and boy does he have some stories to tell about flying up here in his job... His weekly flights to Chinitna bay to break up a blood fued always have me rolling on the floor. His trips over to Chisik Island to have coffe and breakfast with my uncle while writing him out tickets for illegal fishing or just harrassing the the fin n feathers guys in general are always good for laughs too!

BC.gif

Posted

Do not let the risks outweight the rewards! Just making you aware of the issues and there are many ways to mitigate the majority of the risks!

It does not matter what it takes to make it happen, just do it! I dont think there is any way you can be dissapointed with a flying vacation up here!

Ed,

You can always come back for vacation and relive some of those memories! When yo uwere flying for the fin n feathers, did you ever run across a guy by the name of Van Wilson?? We go WAAAAY back and boy does he have some stories to tell about flying up here in his job... His weekly flights to Chinitna bay to break up a blood fued always have me rolling on the floor. His trips over to Chisik Island to have coffe and breakfast with my uncle while writing him out tickets for illegal fishing or just harrassing the the fin n feathers guys in general are always good for laughs too!

BC.gif

Guess I did not meet your friend in F&G. One of them is carrying my old 45/70 in his plane. Neighbor across street from me worked for F&G. Lots of good memories there. Will get back someday for vacation. I still have family there. Son-in-law is fishing guide on Kenai River at Sterling. Friend, David Goode at Nikiski, let me take photos as he built the #1 Airdale. Really appreciate the companionship and non-adversity of everyone on this site too.

Just had ultralite crash near here - 2 cycle Rotax, of course!!! Sorry, but I am sooo predudiced...........

Good Flying,

Ed in MO

Posted

Guess I did not meet your friend in F&G. One of them is carrying my old 45/70 in his plane. Neighbor across street from me worked for F&G. Lots of good memories there. Will get back someday for vacation. I still have family there. Son-in-law is fishing guide on Kenai River at Sterling. Friend, David Goode at Nikiski, let me take photos as he built the #1 Airdale. Really appreciate the companionship and non-adversity of everyone on this site too.

Just had ultralite crash near here - 2 cycle Rotax, of course!!! Sorry, but I am sooo predudiced...........

Good Flying,

Ed in MO

I was keeping an eye on Daves progress as he built that one too! too bad all he has ever done with it is a few test hops. Last I knew it has never flown more than a few feet off the runway at a time.

Most of the time with a 2 stroke, it is the guy that is running it that does not understand how to keep them alive that causes the engine out. Flown properly, and maintained right, they are just as reliable, but you do have to pay attention.

Of the 4 engine outs I have had, 2 were 0320's and 2 were rotax. I aint skeered to get behind any of them, they all can let you down :lmao:

:BC:

Posted

When I first got my Avid I flew down to look at Daves plane and made a bunch of notes. I was looking at having my Avid strached to put the Subaru on it and then when I talked to Steve Winder he convinced my to just buy the Avid+ fusalage. I was surprised that Dave never really got his flying.

Herman, Leni is right, flying in Alaska is the best. He and Ed have given you great advice and it should not hinder you from comming up with your plane. Leni and I would like to share in flying around with you and there are plenty of fun places within minutes or hours of Soldotna/Anchorage/Palmer/Wasilla. The freedom to fly and land almost anywhere up here is great. Leni and I are about an hour and 45 minutes apart by Avid time. you could always spend time at both Soldotna and Palmer/Wasilla. Plenty of motels and places to eat in both areas and great small town/rural areas. While you are in the Palmer/Wasilla area you can tie down at my hangar at Wolf Lake Airport; I have a couple of empty tie downs at the moment but even if I get them rented I still have room for another two planes. The Knik River is about 5 min away and the whole river is sand bars right up to the glacier. You will have the time of your life.

Posted (edited)

When I first got my Avid I flew down to look at Daves plane and made a bunch of notes. I was looking at having my Avid strached to put the Subaru on it and then when I talked to Steve Winder he convinced my to just buy the Avid+ fusalage. I was surprised that Dave never really got his flying.

Herman, Leni is right, flying in Alaska is the best. He and Ed have given you great advice and it should not hinder you from comming up with your plane. Leni and I would like to share in flying around with you and there are plenty of fun places within minutes or hours of Soldotna/Anchorage/Palmer/Wasilla. The freedom to fly and land almost anywhere up here is great. Leni and I are about an hour and 45 minutes apart by Avid time. you could always spend time at both Soldotna and Palmer/Wasilla. Plenty of motels and places to eat in both areas and great small town/rural areas. While you are in the Palmer/Wasilla area you can tie down at my hangar at Wolf Lake Airport; I have a couple of empty tie downs at the moment but even if I get them rented I still have room for another two planes. The Knik River is about 5 min away and the whole river is sand bars right up to the glacier. You will have the time of your life.

Shucks, I have just told Herman about the bad winds at Wolf Lake....maybe that was just bad windy days? You know Cliff Stockton? He was one of my instructors at UAA Aviation.

Dave may have changed after hitting the bottom of the lake in his original Avid, and nearly losing his wife in it. His "landing strip" a narrow gravel road going uphill and lined with trees, with limbs a foot in diameter hanging across the road and houses scared hell out of me. Took more guts than I had to put a 182 into that disaster waiting to happen.

Yes, Ultralite "lost power and hit electric lines" probably will say "pilot error for not going under the wires", but definately an engine problem. Agree, They all need TLC.

Ed in MO

P,S. Seems like I heard that the runway & approach to Wolf Lake have been improved since I was there dropping in over treetops?

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Shucks, I have just told Herman about the bad winds at Wolf Lake....maybe that was just bad windy days? You know Cliff Stockton? He was one of my instructors at UAA Aviation.

Dave may have changed after hitting the bottom of the lake in his original Avid, and nearly losing his wife in it. His "landing strip" a narrow gravel road going uphill and lined with trees, with limbs a foot in diameter hanging across the road and houses scared hell out of me. Took more guts than I had to put a 182 into that disaster waiting to happen.

Yes, Ultralite "lost power and hit electric lines" probably will say "pilot error for not going under the wires", but definately an engine problem. Agree, They all need TLC.

Ed in MO

P,S. Seems like I heard that the runway & approach to Wolf Lake have been improved since I was there dropping in over treetops?

Ed, it can blow at Wolf Lake so there are days when you could fly out of Willow or Birchwood but that are two windy for me a Wolf Lake. I always figure it I get caught comming back from somewhere and it is too windy I will just land at a friends' place in Willow or Wasilla and catcha a ride home until the winds die down. So far have not ever had to do that though. Wolf lake is pretty big nowdays; I think the main runway is over 4000 ft, paved and lighted with plenty of cleared approach and very wide with grass and paved taxiways on both sides and a cross wind gravel runway that is probably 3000 feet and very wide. I always land on the grass closest to my taxiway. Cliff Stockton sounds familiar but I cant picture him for sure.

The time I flew down to meet Dave Goode I was not sure I had found his place but I had to pee so bad I was going to land somewhere even if it had to be in someone's yard; it turned out to be his place but I jumped out and headed for the trees as soon as I stopped.

Posted

Ed, it can blow at Wolf Lake so there are days when you could fly out of Willow or Birchwood but that are two windy for me a Wolf Lake. I always figure it I get caught comming back from somewhere and it is too windy I will just land at a friends' place in Willow or Wasilla and catcha a ride home until the winds die down. So far have not ever had to do that though. Wolf lake is pretty big nowdays; I think the main runway is over 4000 ft, paved and lighted with plenty of cleared approach and very wide with grass and paved taxiways on both sides and a cross wind gravel runway that is probably 3000 feet and very wide. I always land on the grass closest to my taxiway. Cliff Stockton sounds familiar but I cant picture him for sure.

The time I flew down to meet Dave Goode I was not sure I had found his place but I had to pee so bad I was going to land somewhere even if it had to be in someone's yard; it turned out to be his place but I jumped out and headed for the trees as soon as I stopped.

Sounds like Wolf Lake strip has improved and enlarged a lot since I was there.

Cliff was one of the early tennants. Probably still has a spot there. He passed me on the A & P oral exam - only took 3 years at UAA to pound that bit of info into my thick head!

Ed in MO

Posted

Ran into Dave the other day at a retirement lunch

he and I retired from the same company.

All his stuff is for sale, he's going south perminent.

Posted (edited)

Ran into Dave the other day at a retirement lunch

he and I retired from the same company.

All his stuff is for sale, he's going south perminent.

Sorry to hear that anyone is leaving Alaska. I certainly left part of me there, but circumstances prevail for each of us.

Flying down here is about as exciting as catching "bait fish" here after filling the freezer with Salmon and Halibut in Alaska.

I buy smoked Alaskan salmon at Costco, when they have it. Atlantic salmon is yucky, compared to Alaskan Sockeye.

Just go from concrete runway to concrete runway, and once in a while to a private dirt strip if invited.

Quit hunting too - nothing big enough or dangerous enough to shoot here.

Do you know where Dave is relocating? What company did you/he work for? Oil/Gas?

Give Dave my best wishes if you see him again.

Ed In MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

It will cost ~$5000.00 and 4 days to trailer a Kitfox on the Ferry to Anchorage from Bellingham, WA..

How many days does it take to drive and tow from Bellingham to Anchorage?

Thanks Herman

Posted (edited)

It will cost ~$5000.00 and 4 days to trailer a Kitfox on the Ferry to Anchorage from Bellingham, WA..

How many days does it take to drive and tow from Bellingham to Anchorage?

Thanks Herman

Never been that way. Always figured 6 days minimum from Great Falls to Anchorage. Last trip, gas was $1.50 to $2 a LITER, and truck, trailer averaged about 6 mpg. Motels not cheap, when you could get one - and food was lousey most of the way! Got rancid roast beef in restruant across from Whitehorse Airport, and worst KFC in Whitehorse I have ever eaten!

4000 miles - one way - from St. Louis.

ED in MO

P.S. If you can get to TOK, Alaska before too late in evening, you can get the best food, and possibly a motel room, at FAST EDDIES.

Great Beer-battered halibut at restraunt at boat dock in Seward, and more of anything that you want at KLONDIKE INN at Soldotna.

One stop you have to make is the REGAL HOTEL restraunt at LAKE HOOD, in Anchorage (the name may have been changed) You can eat good food and watch float planes taking off right outside the windows.

(ALL in ALASKA)

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Herman...Unless there is something new, you can't ferry to Anchorage.

There are few runs from Seattle or Bellingham to Seward

All others go to Haines, leaving another 800 miles +- to Anchorage.

I've driven many times. Four days sound about right pulling a trailer.

I think I have beaten the ferry every time I drove. It stops alot.

I've never rode it except to Kodiak to deer hunt. In state ferry.

Besides road work, the only bad part of the road is @ 20 miles at

the border on the US side, the entire way is paved.

Regular gas is 462.9 here, more in Canada, @ $.25 less in Anchorage.