Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Traveling to Alaska

30 posts in this topic

Posted

If you decide on the ferry, then try your best to go to Seward - Then you are there!

Much better than driving from Haines.

Ed in MO

Posted

Thanks for the replies and the info that only 20 miles is not paved.

When towing the interstates in the lower 48 I average 55 miles each hour by driving 60.

Does the Alaska highway allow those speeds for the most part?

Thanks Herman

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the replies and the info that only 20 miles is not paved.

When towing the interstates in the lower 48 I average 55 miles each hour by driving 60.

Does the Alaska highway allow those speeds for the most part?

Thanks Herman

Believe the limit is mostly about that - 100 clicks I think in Canada - 60 is good in Alaska - however, be prepared for waiting for a lead vehicle to get you thru construction - and a slow, bumpy ride at times.

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

THANK y'all for the goldmine of info on going to AK!

I still don't have my Kitfox yet, but my plan is to trailer it in an enclosed trailer. Just talked to the factory--the trailer has to be 8.5 wide. Anyone know where I can get one built strong without being robbed?

I guess you'd say this is a big item on my "bucket" list too. I'll read and re-read all the comment before I ask any questions, but will welcome additional commentary and a report of how the trip actually went for the dad/son trip.

I have a 1990 Mitsubishi Fuso FG (a 3-ton dual-wheel truck with a 109" wheelbase and a 3.3 liter turbo diesel with a custom "camper" attached to the frame) as a tow vehicle. It also has an 8-ton winch and a roof rack integrated with the custom bumper by Chappelle I'm going to rent a trailer to test the fuel consumption; it gets 14-15 mpg without the trailer, but I don't know what penalty the trailer will exact. Does anyone in the unfrozen north know how the Fuso has worked up there? Back east it's used for tiny dump trucks and snowplows.

Thanks again!

I'm selling my "old" rig, a 2006 Outfitter Apex 9.5 with lots of extras and a 2005 F250 HD XLT Super-Duty FX Off-Road 4x4 with Bilstein/Helwig suspension (2" lift) and air-suspension bags with compressor and tank with in-cab controls to finance my aircraft. I'll pay a $100 finder's fee to anyone who sends me the buyer.

Posted

THANK y'all for the goldmine of info on going to AK!

I still don't have my Kitfox yet, but my plan is to trailer it in an enclosed trailer. Just talked to the factory--the trailer has to be 8.5 wide. Anyone know where I can get one built strong without being robbed?

I guess you'd say this is a big item on my "bucket" list too. I'll read and re-read all the comment before I ask any questions, but will welcome additional commentary and a report of how the trip actually went for the dad/son trip.

I have a 1990 Mitsubishi Fuso FG (a 3-ton dual-wheel truck with a 109" wheelbase and a 3.3 liter turbo diesel with a custom "camper" attached to the frame) as a tow vehicle. It also has an 8-ton winch and a roof rack integrated with the custom bumper by Chappelle I'm going to rent a trailer to test the fuel consumption; it gets 14-15 mpg without the trailer, but I don't know what penalty the trailer will exact. Does anyone in the unfrozen north know how the Fuso has worked up there? Back east it's used for tiny dump trucks and snowplows.

Thanks again!

I'm selling my "old" rig, a 2006 Outfitter Apex 9.5 with lots of extras and a 2005 F250 HD XLT Super-Duty FX Off-Road 4x4 with Bilstein/Helwig suspension (2" lift) and air-suspension bags with compressor and tank with in-cab controls to finance my aircraft. I'll pay a $100 finder's fee to anyone who sends me the buyer.

Look at the thread that Russ just posted here. His new trailer looks like the ticket for these planes. Custom built, cheap and light.

BC.gif