Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

N139AH

75 posts in this topic

Posted

Seeing as this "B" Forum is empty I suppose I will add something to it. I Picked up this "Complete model C" kit in October of 2011 in Lake View Washington. After a long overnight trip to pick it up we loaded it pretty quickly and headed home. After I had a chance to really tear into the kit it turns out there are several pieces missing from my new model B kit. mostly hardware though and what I did have was in great condition as it had been well kept in a hanger since 1986 just waiting for me to build it. I didn't have time to start building until Jan 1st 2012, what a way to kick off a new year.

First pic is of the airframe as I got it.

-Robert-

post-352-1335111423954_thumb.jpg

post-352-13351205658762_thumb.jpg

post-352-13351366690741_thumb.jpg

Posted

well now that sucks.. any idea what weight the kit was designed for?

Posted

Did you every start a post and later while looking around the boards go OH hey forgot about that. :hammerhead:

After doing some research and talking with Brett I will easily get 1050 gross after several changes including new wings but It will be well worth it in the end.

Posted (edited)

Still making progress.

post-352-13418194142142_thumb.jpg

post-352-13418196885321_thumb.jpg

Edited by High Country

Posted

Robert- is that Kydex sheeting in your cargo area?

Posted

Robert- is that Kydex sheeting in your cargo area?

Negative- the front portion from my "tailgate" forward has thin plywood and is covered up by thin plastic sheeting i found at Home Depot use for lining shower walls. it was pretty light flexible and water proof. I will have about 16 small D rings riveted to the front portion for tying down my gear. I tried to make the pics smaller but seem to still be having problems doing so.

Posted

I got the wings all fitted up last weekend and have since then gotten both wing tips fitted up as well now Im just waiting for that package of aluminum tube and trailing edge from aircraft spruce that I ordered almost two months ago grrr, Im hoping to be onto fabric soon

Robert

p.s. hopefully i got the picture re-size thing figured out I guess we will see

post-352-13439522172603_thumb.jpg

Posted

Looks like I got the picture edit thing figured out.

Here is a pic of the wingtips

post-352-13439525564971_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Progress report- I got the windshield, skylight, turtle deck and landing gear fitted up to the airframe, I plan to eventually replace the turtle deck with smoke gray lexan and the skylight as well once I get a bit more spending money. Also want to put on the Airdale bush gear at some point

post-352-13446411073316_thumb.jpg

post-352-1344641383023_thumb.jpg

Posted

its been a very busy week but I had lots of time off work so if I wasn't flying I was mostly building :) I finished the second wing all the way through the first brush coats of eko fill so they are now both ready for spray coats. I also completely covered the fuselage in two days and its now ready for taping. the dorsal fin transition was a real bear, grrr but its in now.

-Robert-

post-352-0-92501900-1371395359_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-73814400-1371395504_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-92969000-1371395560_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-84015500-1371395609_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-76511800-1371395673_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-15252700-1371395750_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-14669600-1371395789_thumb.jpg

Posted

Thanks for the updates and pictures! Your moving right along on it!

Posted

sweet!  Did you put that extra area on the front of the vertical fin or was that stock?  My "C" has that too.  I'm liking the progress pics!  Your 80% there with only 98% to go!  :lol:

:BC:

Posted

I just looked at the original pics you posted, it was on there when you got it.  I am thinking that you may have a late C almost D model model just before they went to the MK IV.  Most B models dont have that extra area on the front of the vertical fin. 

Posted (edited)

Leni, the serial# on the original bill of sale shows 244 which would make it one of the last B series if I'm correct. I think it is actually a model C airframe the landing gear originally had the drum brakes which I have replaced with disc and I did add the extended dorsal fin to the rear. also added gussets to the rear carry through tube. and two antenna mounts the larger rudder and elevator are from a mkIV, flight controls are the fatavid style to open up the cargo bay so i guess you could say its really a B C IV skinny avid :lol: I'm hoping to have it all ready for spray coats by next week sometime starting to set up the paint booth this week

-Robert-

Edited by High Country

Posted

Progress report- I got the windshield, skylight, turtle deck and landing gear fitted up to the airframe, I plan to eventually replace the turtle deck with smoke gray lexan and the skylight as well once I get a bit more spending money. Also want to put on the Airdale bush gear at some point

Robert,

As a lowcost substitute, You can get a plastic film that goes on car windows at the auto parts stores for about $10, and stick that on the inside of your skylight, etc. Get the darkest of the 3 shades available - If you try that, let us know if any problems or how long it lasts.

Good Building,

EDMO

Posted

Historically speaking from the Kitfox and Avid lists, the automotive film doesn't last well on plastic windows.

Posted (edited)

Historically speaking from the Kitfox and Avid lists, the automotive film doesn't last well on plastic windows.

Thanks for that valuable info - I didn't know - I have used it on some house and car windows and it lasted for a long time. But that was on glass - not plastic.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I just bought the small sun shades that have a suction cup in the center to stick on the skylight above my head. They work well and you can move them around as the sun moves. Pretty sure you can get em at Wally world. My Avid was #279 and on the bill of sale from the factory it was ordered as a B model. It had drum brakes as well and the straight tail. Depending on where you look #279 should of been a C model. Going with the Schuetz custom brake pedals, MC-4D MC's, and Kitfox IV landing gear with the Douglas wheels and 21" Nanco's, and the double TW spring with the Matco Pneumatic 7" TW completely changed my airplane. Those cable drum brakes were completely worthless and the hard rubber 1960's Maule TW was terrible as well. I flew off my 40 hrs that way but I hated the ground handling and landings were LONG with basically no brakes.

Similiar to the shades I keep in my plane

mMl6b-7T_TIn4ED3lZDfjEw.jpg

Posted

I've also never heard of good results using the film on the plastic so I want to eventually change it with the darker lexan, been having thoughts of molding a transition piece from fiberglass or carbon fiber that would go across the front spar carry through to blend the windshield to the skylight, my thoughts if done correctly you could have the corners molded into this piece so the windshield would not have the tight bend on the corners and hopefully get more life out of it and when its time for replacement its only half the material/ work to be done. If anyone has any opinions or suggestions on this I'm open to ideas was thinking of just using my current windshield/skylight and laying out the glass across it to make a mold that will keep everything just like it is. then make the piece and trim the lexan to fit it and attach???

Joey- i currently have a KFII gear from Ed with the original 8" wheels/brakes that I will be using with 21x12x8 nancos. also plan to use the matco mc-4d masters as you've done, (anyone have some sitting around for sale?)  I made my own brake pedals that should fix the geometry issues. (ive' taken lots of inspiration from you as our planes started out the same)  and I have the 8" wide single fork tailwheel. eventually I would like a wide bungee gear for the mains and double puck brakes but I figure I can do that later I just want to get flying for now.

-Robert-

Posted

Robert the MC-4D are a relatively new design so I doubt you are going to find any laying around. When I did mine I dropped a pretty good chunk of change on my order to Matco. They aren't exactly cheap. You are going to love that set up though. It's by far the single best thing I ever did to my plane. I think you'll find that if you get the geometry right the stock calipers are plenty of braking power. I can do full power run ups with mine and I've locked my tires on dirt and grass a few times trying to land really short. I don't think I would want much more braking power. I did notice a little bit of loss when I went to the wider bush gear but not too bad. One thing I would do if you put in an order to Matco is get pads for those calipers. I imagine they are probably pretty old. When I swapped out my gear to the bush gear I had my brakes all apart and my pads were all cracked around the rivets and I found out they were almost 20 years old. Matco has since went to a totally different material. You can get them ready to slide in with no riveting required for about $60.

Another thing I did was I went with the 1/8" brake line from the bottom of the MC's down to the Calipers. George said I'd never know the difference and it's far easier to route the smaller line. I did use 1/4" from the reservior down to the MC's though. I just put the reservoir up under my panel using an Adel clamp.

Finally the new dual fork TW set up is nice compared to the single arm one. The biggest advantage is it lowers the tail down almost 2". George will sell you just the parts to covert it. I think I paid like $100 for the parts. You just undo the big castle nut on the bottom of the kingpin, drop your old fork off and slide the new one on. It took me all of about 10 minutes to do. I'm now on my 4th version of gear and 3rd version of Tailwheels..I have a tough time leaving stuff alone when I see an opportunity to make it better.

Posted

I've also never heard of good results using the film on the plastic so I want to eventually change it with the darker lexan, been having thoughts of molding a transition piece from fiberglass or carbon fiber that would go across the front spar carry through to blend the windshield to the skylight, my thoughts if done correctly you could have the corners molded into this piece so the windshield would not have the tight bend on the corners and hopefully get more life out of it and when its time for replacement its only half the material/ work to be done. If anyone has any opinions or suggestions on this I'm open to ideas was thinking of just using my current windshield/skylight and laying out the glass across it to make a mold that will keep everything just like it is. then make the piece and trim the lexan to fit it and attach???

-Robert-

I've seen several metal divider strips, but they didn't eliminate the acute curve in the windscreen material. A molded transition piece that does sounds like a great idea. I want to use a heavy tint on my A+ skylight and lighter or no tint on the windscreen so I hope you try this and share results..

Nice progress covering, looking good. Got a paint scheme in mind? Can't wait to hear how those wings work out. :Beer chug:

Posted

Been slowly making progress on the Avid I now have 4 x-coats of EkoFill on the fuselage and 3 x-coats on everything else. the spraying goes fairly fast but it takes a while to sand. Its been taking me about 4-5 hrs to sand each coat on the wings between spraying but so far it is coming out very nicely. We had 70+ mph winds last night that took my paint booth for its first flight however so it will be a while before I can finish spraying... that and all the wildfires surrounding us right now :bugeyes: anyways I don't have all up to date photos but here are some that i have. I chose to stitch the tail as well as the wings. its good to be done with the fabric work. and yes the pics are taken in the kitchen :) what better place to work on your plane than by the fridge and in front of the A/C

post-352-0-74037000-1377271410_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-48611700-1377271525_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-51636100-1377271565_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-08676900-1377271624_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-86369800-1377271659_thumb.jpe

post-352-0-09652900-1377271683_thumb.jpe

Posted

some updated pics. we are planning to finally move to the airport next weekend to finish up the avid. hoping to make our first flight in June!!!

post-352-0-70263300-1400512545_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-35851900-1400512575_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-82076300-1400512617_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-19928200-1400512651_thumb.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Robert,

Is that a custom cowl?

Nice looking bird.

Congrats,

EdMO

Posted

If by custom you mean ugly old original side by side with the horribly uneven seam running down the center line then yes its custom. in all seriousness no its just the factory cowl without the side radiator cutout and the lower part cut away to make room for the exhaust and front spark plug I did about as little extra work as I could to make it look decent and just work for now. I'm planning to change it at some point to either the mk IV cowl or I found one very similar to the KF Vixon cowl that I really like. I just had this one and am to the point that I just want to be flying so these changes can wait till later. other than the cowl I've done all the MK IV changes that I know of... and then some.

-Robert-