Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gear leg safety cable

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi

one of my safety cable is HS (the nicopress wasn't well swaged)

I think the other nicopress have to be changed, and making new safety cable would be more easy to do

does one of you have the correct dimensions of this cable (it is 19.5" long but I need diameter of the cable and size of the fixture)

thanks in advance

MicheL

Posted

Just made mine last week, according to my model "B" and "C" manuals the cable needs to be 19.5" end to end this should give the landing gear 3" of travel before it hits the cable it doesn't say anything about the size of the loops so I just made them big enough to slip over the posts snugly. as for the cable it says to use 3/32" hope this helps. good luck

-Robert-

Posted

Just a quick note... My plane was on its back TWICE do to gear leg failure (previous owner). I got to ride it over with my brother in his kitfox when his gear leg broke. The attached sketch shows where the gear breaks, and where to put the saety cable so you still ahve a wheel under you when it breaks instead of having it at shoulder level looking at you through the door..

gear leg.pdf

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the input nice to know these things before your upside down. is the 19.5" OAL still good or should it be a different size?

-Robert-

Edited by High Country

Posted

Stock length on the cables is fine.

What I did to mine is knocked the little tab off the end of the gear cross leg that the bungy wraps around. You have to ream the ID of the tube as the weld from the lower gear leg brace penetrates a bit and distorts the ID of the tubing. I slipped another piece of tubing inside there to give it more strength right at that weld intersection and so I would have a clean tube inside that was not directly welded to it for the crack to propogate through. I check the gear leg under the bungies every flight to see if it has started cracking. So far so good this time! In theory, even if it cracks at the toe of the weld, it cant (or wont) propogate through to the tube I slipped inside and will give me good heads up that things are going south and I need to fix the gear leg if it does start cracking!

:BC:

Posted

thank's guys for dimensions and advices

I bought the tool in the morning and made the cables after

just have to put then on the plane (I've got a "tent and sleeping bag" week end with my daughter and 20 other pilots if the MTO is OK)

MicheL