Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

582 oil pump adjustment

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Wondering if someone has had any experience with an over-dosing oil injector? As best i can tell, I 'm running about 35-40:1. (Plugs look ok but I've noticed burning oil smell on decent and am concerned about carbon build up.) When I bought the plane, it was running about 50:1, but I see posts from others claiming to measure 50, 70 and 120:1 usage rate. As far as I can tell, rotax is silent on what constitutes an acceptable range. It seems everyone is against pre-mixing, but no-body seems to be concerned about monitoring their oil usage. Do you guys have any suggestions? Is there a significant down side to pre-mixing, and if I was to pre-mix, what ratio would be appropriate?

Posted

Dug into the problem a bit, and discovered the cable was a bit sticky, and wasn't always allowing the lever to return to zero. Retested, and now it is running about 85-90:1 Is this ok or do I need to try and increase the oil flow?

Posted

Dug into the problem a bit, and discovered the cable was a bit sticky, and wasn't always allowing the lever to return to zero. Retested, and now it is running about 85-90:1 Is this ok or do I need to try and increase the oil flow?

There are alignment marks on the pump body and arm that are supposed to align at idle.From personal experience, Ivo props tend to unload at cruise so to speak,so throttle position can be backed off thus the pump arm as well.My personal pump setting is somewhat advanced.

Posted

I just had to replace my oil pump cable also. The marks should line up at an idle. With the pump, your consumption will be all over the place, but should average out around 50:1 At an idle, your closer to 70:1, wide open throttle your right around 50:1. At cruise, you 55-60:1 if your propr is pitched right and your throttle setting is normal. The best indicator is your plugs!

:BC:

Posted

Thanks for the info. I'll check again, and maybe re-adjust a bit.