Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Airventure 2012

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi!

I posted this on last year's thread below, but got no response so I started a thread for this year. Anyway, here's what my post said:

My girlfriend and I are planning to attend Airventure at Oshkosh this year in my Avid for the first time. Never been by car or plane. I live in Washington State and am wondering if anyone from near my neck of the woods has made the trip before and can provide any beta.

I am looking for general info on route selection, alternate routes, good airports, camping, courtesy cars and must see/do things along the way.

The furthest East I have flown previously was to Bozeman MT in my MKIV, which took me over the continental divide basically following I-90. So I am comfortable with that route as things get flat pretty quickly beyond Bozeman.

However, I know nothing about preferred routes south of I-90 as the furthest East I have flown more South is to Rigby ID just west of Yellowstone via Boise. So, I haven't crossed the divide in that area. Any advice on a good south (I don't mean southern US, I mean south of I-90) route over the Divide and good airports on the way is also welcome. If weather permits I would like to take slightly different routes to and from for the variety.

Is anyone from the Northwest in this group planning to fly there this year?

All input welcome to this Oshkosh Virgin!

Many thanks!

Chris Bolkan

Posted

Hey Chris, wish I could help but I come from the east side. Hope to see you there!

Posted

... I come from the east side.

Yeah, ...hitchhiking in a Widgeon. :french11:

Chris - I'll be there all week again this year. My EAA chapter camps down across the street from the Ultralight Barn. I usually fly into the ultralight field, or at least I have for the last several years. I might not this year depending what my buddy does with his new Avid-Kitfox bastard he's building.