Weight and Balance

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys,

I've been working off the old weight and balance done by the previous owner and i'd like to know how everyone here does the weight and balance on their Avids.

Can a few of you elaborate on your procedure. Everything from leveling to reference points and arms and well the whole process. Would be nice to know i'm doing it right or at least close to right.

What your CofG's and ranges for the MKIV? A picture or diagram would also be priceless.

Thanks,

Darcy

Posted

Hi guys,

I've been working off the old weight and balance done by the previous owner and i'd like to know how everyone here does the weight and balance on their Avids.

Can a few of you elaborate on your procedure. Everything from leveling to reference points and arms and well the whole process. Would be nice to know i'm doing it right or at least close to right.

What your CofG's and ranges for the MKIV? A picture or diagram would also be priceless.

Thanks,

Darcy

Hi

all the details are section VIII chapter 7 of themanual

IcheL

Posted

You might find the attached Avid Mk-IV W&B calculator entertaining.

CG_Calculator.xls

Posted

Sweet, thanks!

Posted

do I have to put +1.5 and -146 in the arm to make it work  I have a mark IV with a VW engine and 297 on left and 297 on right and 55 on the tail thanks randy

Posted (edited)

Randy what are your "arms" for your airplane? Mains, TW, header, baggage also your weight and pass weight.  I ran your weights with my arms and it appears that you will be fine without the added weight but the big caveat : follow the instructions in the manual measuring and weighing everything for yourself and then do your own WB.   If you purchased this plane with a WB do it again yourself. Well that is what I would do.

Also the arms behind the datum will be positive and those ahead of the datum will be negative.

Edited by Paul S

Posted (edited)

do I have to put +1.5 and -146 in the arm to make it work  I have a mark IV with a VW engine and 297 on left and 297 on right and 55 on the tail thanks randy

Randy,

Any WB calculations have to include the arms times the weight when plane is level - I think Avids are the same as Kitfox and all weights and arms are taken from the leading edge of the wings, with the tail in position to level the floor of the cockpit - hang a plumb bob or a weight from the leading edge and measure from the center of that to the center of your tires - unless you have a nose-dragger all arms should be +. If I remember right, you divide the total (arms times weights) by the total weight to get the CG of that configuration.

Your book should show maximum forward and aft CG in wing measurements from leading edge.

P.S. Doug - I cant read the WB calculator you posted because it requires Office, and I don't have that - is there another way you can post it - pbf / pby? / jek / jet? Whatever they call it. jpg? I know there are others, but cant remember the names. Oh, the one with the red shield and what looks like a 3 blade prop on it?

OLD ED

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The real weight on the tail wheel is 28 the only way I could get the numbers right is to use 55. so I need to add enough ballast in the tail to get it to 55

Posted

You didn't forget to include some fuel and a pilots weight did you?  27 pounds needed on the tail would be pretty unusual.  Empty weight does not have to be within CG limits.

Posted

You didn't forget to include some fuel and a pilots weight did you?  27 pounds needed on the tail would be pretty unusual.  Empty weight does not have to be within CG limits.

I think you are right on - no plane flies without fuel and pilot - We were loading Cessnas in Alasks so heavy that the pilot had to get in to put the nose wheel back down and bring the tail up!

EDMO