Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

AeroShell Sport Plus 4

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm going to switch to this stuff on my next 912 oil change. If you use it, where's the best place to buy cases?

Posted

Are you needing to run 100LL, Doug?

Posted

No, not regularly, just covering my a** for when away from my u-haul-'em cans. My 912s has used AeroShell Sport Plus 4 since new, which I intend to continue, but I don't mind switching my 912 from Mobile 1 Racing 4T and paying a bit more if it protects from 100LL better or extends the oil change intervals. Not sure what Kitfox charges for the oil delivered (didn't see it in the online catalog, need to call), but I saw SkyGeek has it for $96 + shipping. Last year I ordered a 16oz. bottle of RunUp additive direct from Decalin Chemicals and either they were out temporarily or goofed because they sent me a large 32oz. bottle for the lower price. Good thing it never goes bad because that will probably last forever!

Posted

No, not regularly, just covering my a** for when away from my u-haul-'em cans. My 912s has used AeroShell Sport Plus 4 since new, which I intend to continue, but I don't mind switching my 912 from Mobile 1 Racing 4T and paying a bit more if it protects from 100LL better or extends the oil change intervals. Not sure what Kitfox charges for the oil delivered (didn't see it in the online catalog, need to call), but I saw SkyGeek has it for $96 + shipping. Last year I ordered a 16oz. bottle of RunUp additive direct from Decalin Chemicals and either they were out temporarily or goofed because they sent me a large 32oz. bottle for the lower price. Good thing it never goes bad because that will probably last forever!

I just ordered in a case from the local oil distributor for $103.00 and it saves on the shipping cost. I did find it for about $87 + shipping here

airplaneoil.com

it ended up at around $108 to my door from them.

Paul S Wyoming

Posted

Thanks Paul!

$87.25 + $24.50 UPS shipping to upstate NY for me.

Posted

Well, I ended up buying thru my local distributor for $113/case of (12) 1.0L containers + tax. Man, this stuff is priced more like fine whiskey than motor oil! When I bellyached that was more expensive than having it shipped to my door, he pointed to a display stand holding all sorts of products and said to take whatever I wanted.

So I took the (4) 1.0L containers of Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 on the stand. :lmao:

Once home, I noticed these bonus containers were shaped differently than the containers in the new cases. All containers have date markings on them that kind of look like what might be a manufacture date and 'use by' date. In the attached pics, the old containers on the left and new on the right.

So, now my question #1: DOES OIL EVER GO BAD?

I did read somewhere a couple/few years back that Shell redid the formulation of Sport Plus 4. If not a 'use by' date, maybe it signifies the bonus containers are the older formulation. Anyone know anything definitive about this reformulation rumor? Reason I ask is that it is always recommended not to mix lubricants, and to completely drain old oil when switching brands or formulations of motor oils.

Which leads to my question #2: WOULD YOU MIX THESE TWO OILS TOGETHER?

Lastly, 912ul owners know Rotax recommended procedure for oil changes leaves oil in the circuit to avoid having to purge air. Granted it's not a lot, which is why Rotax says don't worry about it, but I am wondering if it would be advisable to drain completely and purge when changing from Mobile One Racing 4T to Aeroshell Sport Plus 4.

Which leads to my question #3: WOULD YOU DRAIN COMPLETELY AND PURGE WHEN CHANGING OIL FORMULATIONS?

What say you?

post-53-13397837873105_thumb.jpg

post-53-13397837883051_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

1 - Yes. Brian Moyerhoffer from LEAF spoke to this precisely. They like the new shell sport +4, but the old did have a definitive shelf life. I don't recall what it was, sorry. I think you will be fine to start with the old stuff, change it out at your 25 hour (?) interval, then go to the new.

2. I would not mix the two blends together. Run the old first, then switch to the new. I don't think a little Mobile and Shell left in the motor won't be an issue.

3. Your call on that, but I would not bother. There is literally teaspoons of oil left after burping the oil out.

(I am buying Mobile 1 Racing 4T by the 6-quart case for $42. - I see no reason to change. Here in the real world we can still get non alcohol contaminated fuel.)

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

(I am buying Mobile 1 Racing 4T by the 6-quart case for $42. - I see no reason to change. Here in the real world we can still get non alcohol contaminated fuel.)

Well, works good until you need to gas up on airport. What did you do when you flew down to Sun 'n Fun, just ignore all the 'no ful syn w/ 100LL' warnings?

Posted

Yup. Changed oil prior to trip and after the trip. Only ran one tank of mixed 100LL during the trip anyway. It's surprising how often you can find auto gas at airports - at least in the midwest.

Posted

Lucky you, we don't have the option around here. No auto gas at airports at all. Isn't it ironic that all the corn goes in our gas and the Midwest growers keep the good stuff?! :dunno: Pffsst.