Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Leaky quick drain

7 posts in this topic

Posted

My quick drain leaks around where it is screwed into the fiberglass wing tank The treads in the tank are pretty stripped. Anyone have a good suggestion ? I'm tempted to epoxy it in Thanks Eg

Posted

Are you sure it's the threads? Might just need a new o ring (I think a #40) for it. If not,howabout some teflon tape? Bryce

My quick drain leaks around where it is screwed into the fiberglass wing tank The treads in the tank are pretty stripped. Anyone have a good suggestion ? I'm tempted to epoxy it in Thanks Eg

Posted

Yes, by all means, check the O-rings first. I've had to rebuild mine. Use only Buna-N (Nitrile) or Hydrogenated Nitril (HNBR) ethanol-proof O-rings if you use auto gas. If you use auto gas and have a gascolator in your fuel circuit, ACS sells an ethanol proof gasket and mesh screen set you would also be wise to use.

NEVER, EVER use Teflon tape in a fuel or hydraulic circuit. Screwing a fitting tight will often cause small shreds of tape to separate and find their way into the circuit with disastrous results, ie. think clogged carb jet on take off.

I have used Permatex 9AR Tack 'n Seal with excellent results. Ethanol proof, recommended by Kitfox Aircraft and available cheap at automotive supply stores.

post-53-13366717473604_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Loctite and others make a paste Teflon thread sealer that is far better than the tape. The tape should never be used for any fitting. However, I don't know if the paste is ethenol-proof, and it certainly won't replace stripped threads. It is good on most metal fittings, but better is the Loctite Hydraulic sealer - think the number is 545, but will have to check on that. Teflon paste is good for air and water fittings, the hydraulic sealer is for fuel and oil fittings, and is good for anything.

Best to go with what Doug recommended.

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

It is defiantly leaking around the treads. I'll try the Permatex sealer. Thanks guys EG

Posted (edited)

It is defiantly leaking around the treads. I'll try the Permatex sealer. Thanks guys EG

If that doesn't fix the leak, then maybe you could tap it out to next size, and use a reducer bushing, or buy the next size drain.

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Friend here with a Pacer had a surprise on takeoff thanks to Teflon tape. He didn't know the previous owner had used tape on the wing tank fittings. He loaded up his son and two other small children and when he went full throttle on takeoff..... it bogged down after a few seconds and he was able to abort takeoff with plenty of runway ahead of him. For those of you that don't know, our runway 28 drops off into a river ravine about 200 ft past the edge of the pavement. Could have been a mess and am very glad he did a full backtrack that day. He opened up the gasocolator and it was full of gunk left from the Teflon tape. He spent a long time removing, cleaning and resealing the tanks and fittings. Then went through the entire system to make sure none of that garbage was used anywhere's else.