Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

100LL

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Seems like everyone I talk to has a different opinion about running 100LL. I know guys that run only 100LL, some run it if it is the only the available and some will not run it at all. So I am flying cross country and need fuel and the is no auto gas available and use 100LL. I know Leni recommended to use an additive with it for the lead. What is the best additive out there to use?

Posted

I use Decalin I think it is the most popular. Aircraft Spruce sells it. I do a few multi day 500+ mile X-countries a year and burn 100LL the whole time. Change your plugs every 20-25 hours on it as they get nasty.

Posted

Seems like everyone I talk to has a different opinion about running 100LL. I know guys that run only 100LL, some run it if it is the only the available and some will not run it at all. So I am flying cross country and need fuel and the is no auto gas available and use 100LL. I know Leni recommended to use an additive with it for the lead. What is the best additive out there to use?

I think that TCP was recommended for getting the lead out? called "Tom Cat Piss" by a young fellow I met in the 1950s.

Dont have a clue as what is best. I used to run a mix of 1 gallon 100LL, 3 gallon Mogas, and (4 OZ.?) Marvel Mystery Oil in my C-75.

ED in MO

Posted

Aviation fuel 100LL is 100 octane but the low lead part is a bit misleading

It does have less lead than aviation fuel once had years ago,

but it still has much more lead than any automotive fuel does

Lead is hard on our type of engines because it will foul plugs and cause rings/valves to stick/seize,

if used on a regular basis

It creates more carbon deposits do to the higher lead content

A few gallons of aviation fuel once in a while though,

is ok and if you get your next fill with Automotive fuel it will thin the 100LL down

If needed,

I try to fill the top half of the tank with 100LL so only to get a half a tank of it mixed in with what I normally run

If a full tank of 100LL is required I then try to get my next tank to be Auto-fuel

If 100LL is all you can get for awhile for whatever reason

I would then recommend using an additive

Decalin is a good product for experimental IMHO

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/Decalin.php

Or you can try the real Mcoy, FAA Approved stuff

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/alcortcp.php

:beerchug: