Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New 3-leaf tailspring and API tailwheel upgrade

9 posts in this topic

Posted

The oilite main bearing in my KF4 Maule tailwheel is shot, so I decided to temporarily 'borrow' the Aviation Products Inc tailwheel that came with my Avid+ kit. Since there has been a few reports of the KF 2-leaf tailspring braking recently, I figured I'd upgrade to the new KF 3-leaf tailspring as well.

This pic shows the original single leaf spring Skystar supplied with my 1992 Model 4-1200 kit, the Skystar's 2-leaf spring upgrade circa 1995 that I just removed, the new Kitfox Aircraft 3-leaf spring to be installed and, for comparison, the 2-leaf tailspring that came with my Avid+ kit.

post-53-13380293182379_thumb.jpg

One question I have is regarding the use of a spacer when bolting 1-1/4" wide springs to a 1-1/2" tail wheel attach block, ie. what is the correct positioning of the spacer?

Take a look at the following pics and give me your thoughts please.

Thanks

New 3-leaf tailspring installed (without spring keeper), note larger hole in middle leaf at tail wheel attach block end.

post-53-13380298494488_thumb.jpg

Option 'A': Spacer on top of tailspring.

post-53-13380302829935_thumb.jpg

post-53-13380303295534_thumb.jpg

Option 'B': Spacer on bottom of tailspring.

post-53-13380303937505_thumb.jpg

post-53-1338030465756_thumb.jpg

Posted

Option A, spacer on top is how I have always seen the spacers put on.

:BC:

Posted

Thanks guys.

Randy - that is one honkin' wide tailwheel, it looks about perfect for the flying you get to do! :beerchug:

Someday I'll put a Matco WHLT-8L tailwheel on my KF, the API swap is only temporary until the wallet fattens out again. Last week I bought 2 cases of Sport Plus 4, some new engine mount isolator rubbers, a TinyTach, 21/8.00-6 tires, Oregon Aero VG kit, some electronics stuff for my headsets/intercom and, what the hell, even some new vinyl graphics for the little pig. Enough already!

Leni - Professor, you are correct. I found in one of Matco's Tech papers that spacers go on top of the spring. That prevents the movement of the middle spring leaf from wearing against the TW mounting block.

Posted

Thanks guys.

Leni - Professor, you are correct. I found in one of Matco's Tech papers that spacers go on top of the spring. That prevents the movement of the middle spring leaf from wearing against the TW mounting block.

Can't take that title away from you Doug. Your the resident Professor here! I think you have compiled more info on these birds than anyone else :lol:

I hope to get some time on my new 8" Matco Wide in the next couple weeks too! Hoping to see the improvement that Randy has on the sandy beaches and gravel bars.

:BC:

Posted

I know what you mean Doug, after the new IVO prop, TW, complete FWB MK4 kit (just picked it up yesterday all pretty powder coated black with all those brand new components), plus putting an addition on the hangar, etc. I am going to have to go on a rice and beans diet so I can buy gas.

Ditto to both you guys for the great knowledge and information you share. :beerchug:

Posted

I am about to install the alaskan bushwheel standard 3200 tailwheel on my kitfox 4 classic (1200 gw)..

any thoughts as to this configuration being a little to heavy or overkill for a 4?

Thanks..

warren maui, hawaii

Posted

That's a lot of tailwheel and a lot of $$$ for a Kitfox IV, IMO.  11" diameter is also very tall, you will loose much of the AOA on 3-point, not to mention the weight.

The Matco 8" would be a better fit overall for a Kitfox IV if you like a wide tire.

http://www.matcomfg.com/TAILWHEELDUALFORK8PNEU-idv-3727-13.html

I don't want the wide tire so I went with the lighter single arm 8" pneumatic wheel on my project.

http://www.matcomfg.com/TAILWHEEL8PNEU-idv-2678-13.html

Posted

Thanks for the quick response....

ill look into the matco ...

ive been trying to get a weight on that AB wheel.....

and im not sure but im thinking it was only an 8 inch...

I havent picked it up yet and I really appreciate your input on this....

thanks again....

warren

ps

I just got back from doing a crosscountry from boston to montana in this my kf4...

great planes and support groups....

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey I just noticed youre in wisconsin....I was in sturgeon bay, door harbor last year with ken smith(harbor sport aviation)

setting up a kf7 with amphibs.....fun place!

1 person likes this