Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bought an Avid Catalina kit.

41 posts in this topic

Posted

OK you have been laid up long enough!  Time to see some progress pictures on this bird.  I am going to try and light a fire under Bobs butt and get him to roll the amphib back into the shop and get it in the air.

:BC:

Posted

I am working on the Kitty as time allows. The farm has a 4 acre lawn. I have 5 goats (not GTOs). I belong to a Corvette club and DO attend the functions. Sunday is for Church, and visiting my parents.

I am currently STILL working on the left sponson, trying to get it right. Currently, this means working on the wheel well. My advice to anyone who gets an un built  Catalina kit, DO NOT change it to the latest configuration. Keep the sponsons stock. Here are the 4 newest photos.

post-455-0-17830200-1367639719_thumb.jpg

post-455-0-80585300-1367639749_thumb.jpg

post-455-0-70681600-1367639767_thumb.jpg

post-455-0-90911700-1367639937_thumb.jpg

Posted

My wife was given this  photo by her friend, who had gone along on the trip. The oversized sponsons as purchased are evident in this shot.  It sure doesn't look that way now.

post-455-0-92106800-1369703833_thumb.jpg

Posted

My right knee became infected, AGAIN, last Saturday. I spent from Sunday through Thursday in the hospital. I have a temporary antibiotic spacer in my leg, instead of a knee. It is to be replaced in 10 weeks or so. I WILL RETURN TO WORK ON THE KITTY! 

Posted

I have wanted to build an Avid Amphibian since I first saw one, I never seem to be around when there is one for sale, or it happens to e as long of a trip as you made and my back doesn't take that kind of a trip any longer. From the pictures I have collected, including yours I have pretty well got the design down, its the fiberglass work I am having trouble deciphering, I have built boats and I have built tube and rag airplanes, Do you know how thick the fiberglass was on the bottom or Hull of your aircraft, the thickness on the top would help too, Being classified as disabled I have plenty of time to work out the math to design the aircraft,but there is very little information out there on designing an amphibian, any measurements that you felt like giving me would be appreciated, and a copy of manuals would be nice too, if you don't want to scan them, I would be willing to pay for copies.

Posted

I got the latest new knee on Aug. 20. I am now doing the P.T. thing. I am allowed to do stuff at the end of January. To answer the preceding question, I will measure the top thickness, when I can get to the barn. My manual is an earlier one.

Posted

I hope PT goes well, I just got cleared to do PT from my last back surgery, I still work on my planes on good days I am welding on bad days I do math and drawings, I have to keep busy or I go nuts.

Posted

I have gone through the knee spacer of last May 31, and the total replacement of  Aug. 20. The surgeon and my Internal Disease Doctor told me to do NOTHING until at least Feburary of this year. I complied. I then waited until it was warm enough, thanks to global warming (yeah right). I returned to the shop today, I had to clear away junk that my wife, and workers on my barn , had deposited just inside the door. I took 3 photos with my stupid smart phone, but it refused to send them to my computer. I started to check the left sponson to the photo that I have of Avid's final prototype. The depth of the sponson is close to that of the photo. It needs a little reshaping inboard, near the main hull.

Trackwelder, did you ever get the info you needed? If not, let me know.

Posted

good to hear your geting back at it!  Hope the knee is all better.  Before you go to far, if your having knee issues you may want to try geting in and out of the plane.  Akflyerbob stopped building on his because he cant fold his knee to get in and out of it due to the cross bar under the instrument panel.  I hope you can get in and out as I really want to hear some flight reports on it and see if I can use those against Bob to get back to work on his plane, I think it wil be a ton of fun around here.

Posted

Alaska Flyers,  FYI,

When I was flying into Birchwood in the 90's, there was what appeared to be a derelict Catalina parked there - looked like it had not flown or been maintained for a long time - always wondered what happened to it - but, not being a swimmer - didn't check on it.

EDMO

Posted

Ed, that's the one that Bob has now.

Posted

I have been in the Kitty, I rotated it level, extended the gear, put an auto jack under each gear, and used a ladder to get me up to where I could step on the sponson. The banopy frame is attached, so I closed it to check on clearances, with me. I got a photo with my not so smart phone, but it doesn't want to send it to my computer. I hate that phone.

I have since trimmed the left sponson again, and I finally got the proper ground to sponson clearance. I am currently doing the fiberglass work to finish the left one. I have to make aluminum covers for the side openings on the sponson, so I can remove the wheels. I will take photos of it with the Nikon, so I can easily post them. 

Posted

cool!  sounds like progress is being made!  Cant wait to the flight videos!!

Posted

I am back. In the years since, the project got packed in by my son and wife. Too much junk. A few years later, I had another barn built with a 40 x 60 shop and goat stalls . I moved the Catalina to the shop. The small stuff was put in the office next to the goat stalls. The plans WERE on the top shelf. My wife allowed the goats to gain access while I was sick. The goats literally ate the plans. Now, just 2 weeks ago, Iocated a ratty Catalina in Florida.  I bid on it and got it. I took Amtrak from Harrisburg Pa. to Orlando. I rented a Uhaul truck and loaded the bird. It took a total of 5 days from departure to arrival.  I have some grandsons coming out tomorrow to unload it. The adventure continues. 

5 people like this

Posted

This is the 2nd Catalina I brought north from Florida.  There is a number of parts I will use. 

20220222_174234.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

The Kitty project is NOT dead. I am currently working on a Porsche 944 which I will sell when done. There is a 1981 X-11 project to wrap up. Then the car hoist will only be needed for repair jobs. I can do work on the Kitty again.

1 person likes this