Finger Strainer BMAD

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey Gang,

Look At this

This is resin that sloughs off the original fglass tanks. This came out of my tanks as i was emptying from the filler neck. This is not the first debris I have removed. Fortunately, my MKIV has a finger strainer installed at the fuel fitting coming out of the tank, and it has obviously saved my fuel system from plugging up and stopping my engine. I only have the fuel filters past the Mikuni pump going to the carbs, and have never seen any debris in them.

Talking with fellow Avid Flyer Stephen Haggerty, His C model did not have the finger strainer installed. Suspicion as to what caused his engine stoppage on take off MAY be do to this debris/resin plugging up his fuel system. So I'm putting out a BMAD, Bryce's MANDATORY Airworthiness Directive! Make sure you have a finger strainer installed on each fiberglass tank before your next flight! Stephen, can you tell us what the A/C Spruce pn is? Also, I am going to start emptying my tanks from the top or even removing the curtis quick drain and finger strainer fuel fitting on a regular basis, like every 3 mos. Please do this! Your all to valuable to lose over a $20 part! Bryce

post-55-13391688309571_thumb.jpg

Edited by BryceKat

Posted

Yes,I get that crap all the time in my fiberglass tanks on my MKIV

I clean the finger screens regularly

flying without finger screens seems ridiculous

I can't believe they would even send kits out without finger screens

cleaning them is a part of regular maintenance IMHO

without finger screens,you would think anyone without them would definitely be using a filter just to add fuel to there aircraft

just to keep any crap/bugs whatever, out of the system

That ... is the main reason to have finger screens installed

it is to keep bugs,and debris from your Gas out of the system more than removing shellac/residual from the fuel/fiberglass system of fuel tanks

excellent post,it brings something up that should be of major concern to anyone not having or using finger screens

Cheers

Posted

Well, I have seen enough crap come out of my tanks that I would never fly without finger strainers. Inspecting and cleaning them is also on my condition inspection list. I think it is a simple reality given the materials and way these tanks were manufactured, plus our propensity for auto gas with ethanol, you're gonna get the old adhesive chunks and fibers loosening up. That's why I won't use in-line filters between the wing and header tanks and prefer a header tank with sump and gascolator combo. I also eliminated the 90* degree elbow tank outlet fittings which a lot of folks claimed was a real junk trap without the screens. At least Avid owners didn't have to deal with the Kreem tank slosh issue too. Check the flaking Kreem pic in this thread and count your blessings! Fuel Strainers

Posted

I guess I have been lucky! I cleaned my tanks out during the rebuild and have never had a problem, and there are no finger strainers on mine. I wonder if it has something to do with the real gas I get up here :dunno:

:BC:

Posted

Leni-

Lucky? Maybe. I'm 100% convinced that ethanol in autogas plays a huge part in speeding up the deterioration of the fiberglass wing tanks made with polyester resin. I also think that the way Avid and [old] Airdale globbed on the baffle adhesive when making the tanks, there is a very high probability of small chunks breaking off and ending up in your tank, regardless what fuel flavor you use. A GPH gauge may be helpful identifying a reduced flow as fibers slowly clog an in-line filter, but catch a chunk big enough to block the outlet and it won't be much consolation when the fan stops. Seems like cheap insurance to me....

As always, save the booze for the bottle! :BC:

Posted

I used Kreem,years ago in a motorcycle tank

what a mess after it started to deteriorate

I would never use it again in a motorcycle tank,nor in any other fuel tank

and that is from personal experience with the product

Yuk

Posted

<snip> Make sure you have a finger strainer installed on each fiberglass tank before your next flight! Stephen, can you tell us what the A/C Spruce pn is?

Not sure if the Avid A, B, C and Mk-IV model tank fittings are similar (I used Kitfox tanks in my Mk-IV), but I do know Airdale Flyer tanks are similar to the Magnum tanks with a 3/8" NPT outlet. I believe it used the finger strainer from Aircraft Spruce (p/n #05-17700, 3/8" Male NPT x 1/4" Female NPT) screwed into the tank, and then a brass straight 1/4" NPT with 3/8 tubing barb screwed into that. At least, that's what I have in my notes.

Posted

I bought my tanks direct from Ron's Fiberglass, the one who made tanks for Skystar or Denny. He no longer makes the tanks since Kitfox took over.

I tried to get him to tell me what epoxy was used, and he only would say, "It's commercial grade, and you cant buy it."

Still would like to know what they are made of. I have always used the West system for personal use. The Ren 1710 epoxies that I used commercially are too costly for small home projects.

ED in MO

Posted

I used Kreem,years ago in a motorcycle tank

what a mess after it started to deteriorate

I would never use it again in a motorcycle tank,nor in any other fuel tank

and that is from personal experience with the product

Yuk

Lots of others have said the same. Someone sent me an ad about an epoxy sloshing for motorcyle tanks, and it looks like a winner for leaking aircraft tanks of any type. I dont have it on this new puter, but can find it in my printouts if anyone needs it.

ED in MO

Posted

Leni,

FWIW, I've been running ethanol free gas also. My guess is it's partly chemicaly induced but also flexing of the structure induced. As i understand, the tank adds some strength to the wing, so as the wing flexes so does the tank. Good Luck, Bryce

I guess I have been lucky! I cleaned my tanks out during the rebuild and have never had a problem, and there are no finger strainers on mine. I wonder if it has something to do with the real gas I get up here :dunno:

Posted

Leni,

FWIW, I've been running ethanol free gas also. My guess is it's partly chemicaly induced but also flexing of the structure induced. As i understand, the tank adds some strength to the wing, so as the wing flexes so does the tank. Good Luck, Bryce

My point exactly. :beerchug:

Posted (edited)

Not sure if the Avid A, B, C and Mk-IV model tank fittings are similar (I used Kitfox tanks in my Mk-IV), but I do know Airdale Flyer tanks are similar to the Magnum tanks with a 3/8" NPT outlet. I believe it used the finger strainer from Aircraft Spruce (p/n #05-17700, 3/8" Male NPT x 1/4" Female NPT) screwed into the tank, and then a brass straight 1/4" NPT with 3/8 tubing barb screwed into that. At least, that's what I have in my notes.

I need your help...

My fuel fitting is broken... and i read about the finger strainers and so on... yesterday i ordered the finger strainer from spruce and the fitting... but it is tooooo big for my avid mk4 tank. :blink:

My tank fitting is 1/8" not 3/8"...  and inside of the 1/8"fitting elbow 90... was a finger strainer... yes inside the 1/8"npt brass elbow fitting.

Where can i buy this 1/8" fitting with finger strainer inside?

No things by spruce, no one at airwolf, no one at ulm technologie ... and no fly without fuel-fitting+strainer :wacko:

thanks

Flugtaxi

Edited by Flugtaxi

Posted

Flu taxi cut the screen off the one you bought and solder it onto the one you have. I don't think they make one in our size. This has been discussed somewhere a while back.

Posted (edited)

Flugtaxi,

See if you have enough space to drill out and tap the new hole 3/8 NPT or I think it is called FIP now, and then use the one you have from Spruce.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Hello Mo and C5Engineer,

thanks for your ideas. I found on ulm-technologies an fuel tap with strainer... and this is the right to build an

fitting for my avid.

The fuel tap is 1/8" female, 90 degree elbow with 6mm. The shutoff is on the bottom...and i can

remove them...an close it with a cap. Now i have a 1/8" fitting with strainer and 6mm... :buttrock:

When i get the things from aircraft spruce... and i come from our avid and talk to my wife that

the hole from the tank is to small... she said... it´s your old problem darling... :huh:

I´m to worried to drill the hole in the tank from 1/8" to 3/8". When the metal plate is to small... i have a big problem.

Now, when somebody need a 1/8" fitting for an tank... we now what to do is...

brrr ... cold in germany... next time to put some wood in the fire...

Flugtaxi

Edited by Flugtaxi
1 person likes this

Posted

I have the strainers now. I had to make them. I bought the Spruce type and desoldered them. I bought the fittings from Airdale and resoldered the screens onto them.

Posted

I think I'm gonna do the same thing since I was planning on pulling my fittings out of the tank during my conditional. Kind of sucks to pay $13 for a couple pieces of brass screen though.

05-17700.jpg

Posted

This is the finished finger strainer after modifying the the Spruce

post-211-0-79433300-1377881689_thumb.jpg

Posted

How'd you get it so skinny?

Posted

attachicon.gifIMG_1231.jpg

Looks good but why did you have to modify them, I used the ones from spruce that Joey showed and they went right in, just took a dremel with a sanding drum and removed a little from the #1 rib so I can get a socket onto them easily in the wings folded position to remove them for maintenance.

Posted

post-211-0-79433300-1377881689_thumb.jpg

Posted

How'd you get it so skinny?

Unsoldered the Spruce and rerolled and resoldered on to the smaller original fitting.

Posted

Looks good but why did you have to modify them, I used the ones from spruce that Joey showed and they went right in, just took a dremel with a sanding drum and removed a little from the #1 rib so I can get a socket onto them easily in the wings folded position to remove them for maintenance.

My original fitting was not the same as the larger Spruce. The pic shows the Spruce on the left and the modified original on the right.

Posted

Hi guys.  I'm up against the same issue with the Catalina's fiberglass tank- 1/8" NPT holes and not enough room to tap a larger hole for the standard finger strainers.  The elbows were pretty clogged, so I'm set on installing finger strainers somehow.  Is the modified strainer above still the best solution out there?  

Jim

Posted

Jim, It is the best solution.  I have not seen any off the shelf 1/8" finger strainers.