Piper Clipper

18 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm trying to help a friend move his freshly restored Piper Clipper. Here's a link to the Barnstormer's add.

It is an example of a way better than new Piper Clipper. Powered by a Lycoming 0320, 150 hp, zero timed during the restoration. New fabric, interior and everything in between. All STCs and logs are up to date and everything is legal. It also comes with a Garmin 296.

Please pass this information around to all your flying buddies.

His price is now less than what he has into the restoration. The Airplane has to go he no longer has room for two. (His Avid-Kitfox hybrid build is almost complete.) The airplane is a real sweetheart and flies beautifully!

I can answer questions or get answers to them if you have any.

.watermarked_a28a3351560dd823ce0058f0d4ec173e.jpg

.watermarked_98705bcbcd1b09fc5c495af832ff823e.jpg

Posted (edited)

More details:

Cleveland Wheels and double puck brakes

Lightweight Airtech starter

Lightweight 70 Amp Alternator

Spin on oil filter conversion

New Whelen Strobes and Power packs

New King Flip Flop radio - KX197a

Garmin 296 in panel mount

2011 Airventure Award Winner

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Nice bird! What is he asking for it?

:BC:

Posted

The ad he's at $48k. He is willing to talk, though.

Posted

Very clean bird. Would be a shame to bring it up here, put some 35's on it and beat the piss out of it in the bush..

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Very clean bird. Would be a shame to bring it up here, put some 35's on it and beat the piss out of it in the bush..

Leni - seriously, it's not clean -- It's new.

Not one component part on that plane did not get replaced or rebuilt. Maybe that would make it perfect for the bush-- ?

post-36-13400681753077_thumb.jpg

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

That plane truly is gorgeous, it looks like you could just get in it and feel super comfortable. I hope he finds a buyer who appreciates all that hard work.

Posted (edited)

Very similar looking planes to be sure!

The one I have posted about is in northern Wisconsin. It was completely rebuilt to zero time two years ago. Currently about 80 hours on motor (O320 - 150 hp) and airframe.

Asking $48k.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

How the hell does that happen? Sad, sad, so stoopid sad...

Posted

NTSB only said that LG and one spar were damaged - I thought a plane still lived as long as the Data Plate was still there?

EDMO

Posted

Ed, look at the photos at the start of this thread.  This WAS an Airventure 2011 Award Winning, better than new restoration, that is now for all intents destroyed.

Yes a bent spar and folded gear.  That also means the fuselage is twisted, the engine (was zero time) is junk until full tear down, prop is junk, all of the near perfect fabric work will need to be torn off, new interior gutted, and on and on.

It is just sickeningly sad.  Stupidity killed Scruffy (the Nickname Dave gave her from her humble beginnings).

Posted (edited)

I hear you Larry,

My buddy's Luscombe was champion at Osh - now with repaired LG, mixed paint, etc, it is nowhere near what it used to be - but will fly again - all it takes is $$$ and time, but he is a perfectionist - I tell him that I wont build a show plane - every nice collector vehicle I have owned, someone crashed into it and ruined it!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

It just makes me sick.  I watched Dave build this plane.  He lost a ton of money from what he had in it, not to mention the thousands of hours of his time.

He sold the plane to a wonderfully talented pilot, a young man who lives in Hawaii, but the plane was to be kept in Oregon at the hangar complex of the owner of Oregon Aero, a friend of his, also an accomplished pilot.  I just wonder who was at the controls to do such a stupid stunt.

Posted

For the record, Dave's reaction is "Not my problem.  I ain't gonna fix the damn thing."

So I am sick for him.

Posted

Well even the best pilot has a bad day sometimes... How does that saying go about those who have ground looped and those that will (every taildragger pilot) None of us is perfect, and one day it's liable to be our turn... I've had several turns already! LOL Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

I had mine finished and painted - waited to move before doing paperwork and flights - dropped it off of the trailer in the Yukon - stripped it down, repaired and modified, and still trying to get it finished.

If I had never flown before, I would have given up by now. Too stubborn to quit!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri