Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

1960's Army Aviation

2 posts in this topic

Posted

John,  and the rest of ya too,

Here is a story my cousin told me when he was home on leave back around 1969.

Knowing he was failing in college in S. Florida and would loose his deferment..., Bruce decided to enlist.  Wanting to fly so as to stay out of the mud, he joined the Army and went on to flight training after basic training.

Bruce came from a flying family and his father had worked for Piper in Vero Beach most of his life. He had his Private Pilot licence since high-school and would tell how he and his buddies would buzz the local beaches looking at girls.

The first day of pre flight training found all the pilot candidates in formation. All new to the game, they listened to an Officer give a talk about Army Aviation and the the different jobs they may be doing in the future. He explained that besides helicopters, the Army also flew "fixed wing" aircraft in many roles.

At that time, it was well known that helicopter pilots faced grave dangers in Viet Nam. Bruce knew this going in.

The Officer commented that depending on aptitude, some of them may end up in "fixed wing aircraft" which was considered a bit safer.

He, the Officer, then asked the formation if any of them knew how to fly already and to raise their hand to indicate that they did. Bruce, "seeing the light", and hoping to be assigned to the "safer" fixed wing aircraft raised his.

The Officer had the "fliers"  step forward and form a line .

The Officer then shouted ...OK mother F##ckers.......   FLY!!!!!  FLY!!!!!

For the next hour Bruce, and the others, who "knew how to fly" had to run around the compound flapping their arms and elbows in an attempt to fly as they had said they could.  (At this time picture Bruce, half-drunk, running around the room telling the story, waving and flapping his arms and jumping up and down..."

The final statement of the Officer was ...."Now we're going to teach you how to fly the Army way."

Bruce went on to fly MediVacs in Viet Nam, survived, and went back to Ft.Rucker as an instructor.

John, I know it's a large world, but his full name is Brian (Bruce) McPhail.  ??

Steve

Posted

that one got me laughing good... I can totaly picture a buch of guys running around with a loud mouth DI behind em hollerin fly focker fly....