My 1956 Chevy

15 posts in this topic

Posted

So I got a telephone call a couple weeks ago from some guy saying he needs to meet with me. Wouldn't tell me his name or why, the conversation was rather cryptic and I just wasn't feeling real good about it (not too many skeletons in the closet but, hey, you never know). In any event, he finally spit out a name which did kinda ring a bell. Turns out it was the fellow I sold my old 1956 Chevy to more than 25 years ago.

I bought the car in San Diego after spending the summer playing with the beach bunnies on college break one year. Had driven cross country in my pickup with camper cap, and figured I could pay for my summer fun by bringing a nice rust-free classic back to upstate NY. So I traded my truck for the '56 and headed for home. It was real solid with georgous red and white 2-tone paint and a custom Tijuana tuck 'n roll leather interior. I made it as far as McLean TX before I blew a rear axle bearing and had to put up on the mechanics couch for two weeks. Back then, auto parts came into these backwater hodunk little towns via the Grayhound bus, which only ran through every two weeks! Not good for a long-hair CA beach bum in rural redneck TX and, to make matters worse, it was a dry district so no booze or bars, etc.

Basically, nothing to do but wait for the bus. Well, nothing to do but shag the mechanic. Yes, the mechanic was a SHE, and a mighty fine little texas nympho hottie at that. Turned out her speed freak boyfriend had a temper too, put a 12ga. slug in her radiator when he found out she was letting me use her car in addition to her landing strip. Apparently, cars were more important than girlfriends at that time in rural TX. Only way I escaped with my life was because I had just made a beer run into Amarillo and had something of value to barter with. To this day I marvel my life was worth exactly one half case of beer. No way was I giving up the whole case lol....

Anyhoo, the fellow that bought the car has been driving it around until a few years ago when he decided to get real serious about restoring it. He's a Pepsi-Cola memorabilia collector and Chevy Delivery Sedan aficionado, hence the new color scheme and replacement of the split tailgate with a single lift gate. I thought he did a great job on the resto and what a cool surprisee to have him look me up after all those years and bring it by for a look see.

Thought you might enjoy some pics...

post-53-1340034215313_thumb.jpg

post-53-13400342176528_thumb.jpg

post-53-13400342187406_thumb.jpg

post-53-13400342194371_thumb.jpg

post-53-13400342203205_thumb.jpg

post-53-13400342210396_thumb.jpg

post-53-13400342223078_thumb.jpg

post-53-13400342232496_thumb.jpg

post-53-13400342238566_thumb.jpg

post-53-134003422452_thumb.jpg

Posted

Basically, nothing to do but wait for the bus. Well, nothing to do but shag the mechanic. Yes, the mechanic was a SHE, and a mighty fine little texas nympho hottie at that. Turned out her speed freak boyfriend had a temper too, put a 12ga. slug in her radiator when he found out she was letting me use her car in addition to her landing strip. Apparently, cars were more important than girlfriends at that time in rural TX. Only way I escaped with my life was because I had just made a beer run into Amarillo and had something of value to barter with. To this day I marvel my life was worth exactly one half case of beer. No way was I giving up the whole case lol....

Sweet ass ride! That is WAY cool that he looked ya up after all these years.

lmao.gif I gotta meet some of you guys one of these days! It has been a shitty week in the office but you just had me crying with this one! Landing strip??? oh yeah, that was back in the day, these days ya cant find a gal under 40 with a landing strip buttrock.gifsmilielol.gif

Thanks for the GREAT story and a much needed laugh Doug.

BC.gif

Posted

Awww, good story Doug. Put a smile on my face today. :rolleyes::

-- Paul S

Posted

Actually, it was pretty fun reliving the moment too. Here's a little more of the story. :)

That town was a D-U-M-P and the people true idiots. It was a very long and painful two weeks that just couldn't end fast enough. When the time came, I ended up sneaking out of town under cover of darkness so I could make one last stop on my way out. Figured that jackass of a boyfriend owed me more than his girlfriend after taking a shot at me, and I knew his hopped up Camaro was parked down at the garage. So I hung a couple pair of his GF's panties on the rear view mirror along with a thank you note for his gracious hospitality. But I wasn't quite finished yet. Oh no, no, no...

Now if you looked close in the pics and know your old Chevy history, maybe you noticed the original, stock Chevy 265 V8 still in the engine bay. Your eagle eyes would also be right in noticing that Chevy did not offer an oem tri-power option for what essentially was a truck engine in the day. Let's just say, that manifold was a very nice after-market add-on I acquired thru barter. I only wish I could have seen that fooker's face when he went to start his car the next day, found my parting gifts and opened the hood only to realize the intake manifold and carbs were missing off his pride and joy.

:nutkick:

Posted

Actually, it was pretty fun reliving the moment too. Here's a little more of the story. :)

That town was a D-U-M-P and the people true idiots. It was a very long and painful two weeks that just couldn't end fast enough. When the time came, I ended up sneaking out of town under cover of darkness so I could make one last stop on my way out. Figured that jackass of a boyfriend owed me more than his girlfriend after taking a shot at me, and I knew his hopped up Camaro was parked down at the garage. So I hung a couple pair of his GF's panties on the rear view mirror along with a thank you note for his gracious hospitality. But I wasn't quite finished yet. Oh no, no, no...

Now if you looked close in the pics and know your old Chevy history, maybe you noticed the original, stock Chevy 265 V8 still in the engine bay. Your eagle eyes would also be right in noticing that Chevy did not offer an oem tri-power option for what essentially was a truck engine in the day. Let's just say, that manifold was a very nice after-market add-on I acquired thru barter. I only wish I could have seen that fooker's face when he went to start his car the next day, found my parting gifts and opened the hood only to realize the intake manifold and carbs were missing off his pride and joy.

:nutkick:

:lmao: I can understand why you were a little leary with the original call now, probably glad it wasn't the boyfriend finally hunting you down,6 pack for a six pack seems fair,nice car but awesome adventure :BC:

Posted

Actually, it was pretty fun reliving the moment too. Here's a little more of the story. smile.gif

nutkick.gif

Hey Doug, I hope I never party.gif piss You off. Russ. N844RS

Posted

Actually, it was pretty fun reliving the moment too. Here's a little more of the story. smile.gif

nutkick.gif

:lol: That is an AWESOME story. I cant wait to call my uncle Neil in Texas and tell him where his intake n carbs are at. I knew this story had a familiar ring to it! Small world huh... :lmao:

:BC:

Posted

Leni - That would be AWESOME, all these years I've been wantin' to ask if that mechanic girlfriend really was his sister! :lmao:

Russ - No worries, I'm a lover not a fighter these days. Which reminds me... I'd love for you to bring the beer once in a while! :BC:

Posted (edited)

lmao.gif I gotta meet some of you guys one of these days!

Likewise. Plenty more stories where that came from. Let's just say... I didn't always meet with glowing approval from my peers when I was a youngster.

Maybe that has something to do with the silly nose art? :handjob:

post-53-13401274532241_thumb.jpg

post-53-13401277505103_thumb.jpg

Edited by dholly

Posted

Likewise. Plenty more stories where that came from. Let's just say... I didn't always meet with glowing approval from my peers when I was a youngster.

Maybe that has something to do with the silly nose art? handjob.gif

hahahaha, I never noticed the nose art before. That is SWEET! Hell I still dont meet with approval most of the time.. I may have to grow older, but I damn sure dont have to grow up!

Posted (edited)

Really nice car and great story Doug. I'm too old to even think about some of my youthful events - might have a heart-attack just remembering them!!! I had a green / white 56 wagon like that, and my uncle had a tourquois / white 57. I sold mine cheap and wanted a Nomad, but the army got me first and I drove a jeep and 3/4 ton Dodge, a Birddog and a Beaver all over Germany. Wanted to drive a tank, but they must have thought I might break it!

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I've been home sick in bed the past two days so I have been going through the pictures and videos forum reliving past flying. I guess I missed this one the first time. Great story Doug!! Keep them coming! I love hearing stories about the good old days considering most of you guys been flying longer than I've been around. And I mean that in a positive way not looking to make anyone feel old but more to point out I think you guys all got away with a lot more than we ever will in this society.

Posted

Oh Yeh! I am glad my kids didn't do some of the things I did growing up. One that comes to mind; we had a big irrigation ditch behind our place in OR that they closed off in the fall and it trapped some nice trout and a few salmon in the pools. You know that fishing with dynomite can be great fun!!!

Posted

Oh Yeh! I am glad my kids didn't do some of the things I did growing up. One that comes to mind; we had a big irrigation ditch behind our place in OR that they closed off in the fall and it trapped some nice trout and a few salmon in the pools. You know that fishing with dynomite can be great fun!!!

I'm in! sounds like a good past time at the lodge! hahahahahaha

Posted

I definitely noticed the six pac and manifold. Great story. I had a '55 with three on the tree and an overdrive. There was a T handle under the dash that you yanked on and it would go lubida lubida about in time with the telephone poles. It had the 265 with a four barrel. Never did much with it other than put a roof rack on it and carry all the guys and their boards down to the beach after school every day. Santa Cruz. That nomad of yours would have made one hell of a surf wagon! I cam by most of my teen cars from my brother. He was a working/saving fool and would go buy something, tear it apart and then sell it to me because he couldn't get it back together. I would fic it, drive it for awhile, then sell it off. Never had to work too hard either. I got a '41 Willys from him that way. Wish I had that sucker.

Dan