Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

11 hr drive

2 posts in this topic

Posted

I am leaving for New Joysey'  from Michigan this evening and am looking at a 10-12 hr drive.

Any one every flown the route in something no larger then a C-172? (say...a Kitfox 5?)

I have done the Florida to Michigan trip in a Vagabond Cub but if you stay to the west you avoid most of the mountains. Our esteemed Alaskan friends will call me a woosy, but there is something about millions of pine trees, as far as you can see, all pointing up at ya like spears.   :shitfan:

I guess what I'm wondering is if flying the length of Pennsylvania something to avoid, or with the proper planning can it be done with minimum pucker factor.

Ok AK boys...,  hit a flatlander below the belt...   :beerchug:   :beerchug: :beerchug:... :bigfinger:

Steve

Posted

Just a shot in the dark... but are there not any roads to stick close to?  I would take a million pine trees any day over a flight last year we did... mountain passes with 65 gusting 80...not my idea of a good time.. when we got back (well after dark) and landed on the lake on skis all three lights (fuel warning) were solid red and the puter said we had 4 minutes of fuel left.... the turbine eats that up quick.. real fun shooting and approach to an un-lit lake with skis knowing you dont get a second chance.

I would have to say that if the kitfox crew can fly from various points in the south to Alaska and back, you can make a short hop for holidays.

All that and I never even called you a woosy LOL..  You can call me a woosy when it come to flying in crowded or congested airspace..If I gotta call someone other than my local tower I get edgy.. I am a bush baby not a city slicker..

:beerchug: <have some for me on turkey day.. I am stuck back at work...