Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

SUBY STARTER S

5 posts in this topic

Posted

wHAT KIND of starters are you using on the EA81? How is it wired?

I have the original geared Soob starter on mine extending forward from the ring gear - mine has the bendix solinoid on it.

QUESTION: with this setup, do I still need a starter relay/solinoid, or just the original wired to the ignition switch?

ED in MO

Posted (edited)

Ed,

I will try to find some numbers on mine but it extends behind the ring gear and over the top of the motor so it will be turning the oposite direction. It has the solonoid built on it so no need to add an additional solonoid.; just wire it to the ignition switch. You can see it under the upper radiator hose in the picture.

post-75-13421653768965_thumb.jpg

Edited by SuberAvid

Posted

Ed,

I will try to find some numbers on mine but it extends behind the ring gear and over the top of the motor so it will be turning the oposite direction. It has the solonoid built on it so no need to add an additional solonoid.; just wire it to the ignition switch. You can see it under the upper radiator hose in the picture.

Thanks Randy,

I believe that the Dodge Colt starter, or some other was listed in one of my alternative engines books.

Yes, it turns opposite, thats why it is behind flywheel, and it is supposed to be lighter than mine.

Dont know if mine is going to clear cowling, so looking for ways to change it.

ED in MO

Posted

Ed, sorry this one has taken me so long to get back to. With the hangar addition going on I am woefully neglecting my reasonable quota of flying, and hunting season is coming on fast so just too busy. So much to do and so little time (how is that for a lot of excuses). Too bad a guy has to work.

Here is what I got off the starter on my Stratus EA81 which bolts to the back side of the redrive upper left side: Precision Parts Rmfg. Co., 1-800-654-3846, 1108-S5163, TOS 109, JSS501630G. I am sure it is a Nippon Denso gear drive starter

When I built my other EA81 with a different redrive but the starter mounted in the same location. I tried several starters and I think I ended up with an ND starter for a Toyota; the number I have for it from Schucks is PO 6131627 and 16696. It ended up fitting and turning the correct direction but the solonoid position to the mounting holes we indexed differently so I had to make an indexing plate for it to offset it and then a spacer shim to position the drive at the right depth. Turned out to be a lot of work for nothing so if you can get the one Stratus uses, that is the one to get.

Posted

Ed, sorry this one has taken me so long to get back to. With the hangar addition going on I am woefully neglecting my reasonable quota of flying, and hunting season is coming on fast so just too busy. So much to do and so little time (how is that for a lot of excuses). Too bad a guy has to work.

Here is what I got off the starter on my Stratus EA81 which bolts to the back side of the redrive upper left side: Precision Parts Rmfg. Co., 1-800-654-3846, 1108-S5163, TOS 109, JSS501630G. I am sure it is a Nippon Denso gear drive starter

When I built my other EA81 with a different redrive but the starter mounted in the same location. I tried several starters and I think I ended up with an ND starter for a Toyota; the number I have for it from Schucks is PO 6131627 and 16696. It ended up fitting and turning the correct direction but the solonoid position to the mounting holes we indexed differently so I had to make an indexing plate for it to offset it and then a spacer shim to position the drive at the right depth. Turned out to be a lot of work for nothing so if you can get the one Stratus uses, that is the one to get.

Thanks for the info Randy,

Yes, I think my book said use Dodge Colt or Toyota Corolla starters. I will copy what you sent, and maybe visit junk yard for a sample if mine isnt going to clear cowling.

Stay busy - keeps you young (my ex-wife used to tell me) makes you tired too !

ED in MO