Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Source for Gas Cap Seal Rings

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This was a tip on the Matronics email list a few years back and I figured I'd repost it here just to make your life a little bit easier... :)

If the gasket on your wing tank fuel cap fails, you'll get a pretty nasty stain on the wing fabric from the fuel being siphoned out in flight (which is pretty disconcerting in its own right!). Standard rubber replacement gaskets won't last with E10-15 auto gas, and the readily available gasoline 'resistant' cork or D.I.Y. gasket material isn't nearly thick enough anyway. Mercedes Benz offers an OEM 'Gas Cap Seal Ring' for their diesel models made out of some kind of blue silicone rubber material impervious to diesel, bio-diesel, gasoline, gasohol and ethanol.

The specs on the gasket for my Kitfox 4-1200 wing tank fuel caps are 37mm (1-7/16") I.D. x 59mm (2-5/16") O.D. which translates to Mercedes Benz OEM part #140-471-00-79.

It was a special order from my local MB dealer but two days and $12 later I had a new pair of gaskets that I know will be up to the task. I seem to recall the Avid supplied caps were the same so it would probably work there as well.

post-53-13424871781221_thumb.jpg

Edited by dholly

Posted (edited)

Doug,

Will you please measure the thickness of the seals and post it?

In case someone finds a cheaper substitute.

We "po-folks" cant afford a MercedeZ.........

Thanks,

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed - They are already on the plane at the field sorry. IIRC, they were just a few thou over 0.125".

Posted

Ed - They are already on the plane at the field sorry. IIRC, they were just a few thou over 0.125".

Great info Doug,

Now I know what to look for.

Thanx,

ED in MO

Posted

Just thought I'd add to this thread as I need to replace the tank seals for my C model Avid. This kit is #846 and the tank seals are 2" OD x 1 3/16" ID and .050 thick. Not sure if the other model tanks were the same but Avid used these in late 1990.

Posted

This was a tip on the Matronics email list a few years back and I figured I'd repost it here just to make your life a little bit easier... :)

If the gasket on your wing tank fuel cap fails, you'll get a pretty nasty stain on the wing fabric from the fuel being siphoned out in flight (which is pretty disconcerting in its own right!). Standard rubber replacement gaskets won't last with E10-15 auto gas, and the readily available gasoline 'resistant' cork or D.I.Y. gasket material isn't nearly thick enough anyway. Mercedes Benz offers an OEM 'Gas Cap Seal Ring' for their diesel models made out of some kind of blue silicone rubber material impervious to diesel, bio-diesel, gasoline, gasohol and ethanol.

The specs on the gasket for my Kitfox 4-1200 wing tank fuel caps are 37mm (1-7/16") I.D. x 59mm (2-5/16") O.D. which translates to Mercedes Benz OEM part #140-471-00-79.

It was a special order from my local MB dealer but two days and $12 later I had a new pair of gaskets that I know will be up to the task. I seem to recall the Avid supplied caps were the same so it would probably work there as well.

post-53-13424871781221_thumb.jpg

They must have gone up the cheapest I can find them now is 17 bucks a piece

Posted (edited)

Last time I got caps/with seals (with 90 degree tubes on them) from Kitfox they had rubber seals -  Aren't the rubber gaskets on them OK for 10%E?  They must have a source for the seals?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

my caps are from 1985, when I bought new tanks from kitfox they didn't come with caps. Im thinking about buying some gasket making material and cutting my own.

1 person likes this

Posted

Honda industrial cap seals work well

1 person likes this

Posted

I would think that your local auto supply store should have some rubber seals that would match up to the caps, and by now they should be E10 resistant.   I think I bought the same cap, without the 90 degree tubes, from AutoZone.   EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Well I just couldn't spend 40 some dollars on 2 seals, So I bought a sheet of Viton Rubber enough to make 4 of these for half price, the company assured me this stuff is good for 10% ethanol, Not that I plan to run that but if it can handle that it should be good for me.

1 person likes this