Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hood River Or

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Not local for us Alaskans, but possible to go see.

Western Antique Aero and Auto Museum annual fly-in Sept. 7-9 at Ken Jernstedt Airfield (4S2).

Alaska Air Lines has a special to Portland, just down river from this event.

Posted

This is one flyin I want to make one of these days. Dick Woodin is buddies with the guy that runs that place and he gets to go down and fly the old iron they have in there. I think most of those planes were new when Dick was in his prime and he probly flew most of them :lol:

:BC:

Posted

I am sitting here when I should be working on my hangar addition even if it is raining but I am chilling and reading the forum.:news: It is a great museum; I try to go every time I am back to the home place in the Hood River valley. All these plans are flyable and they try to fly them on a rotational basis. Here is a teaser; the last time I was there I think they had over 75 airplanes and about that many antique autos and motorcyles. Very cool!

post-75-1342892924288_thumb.jpg

post-75-13428931170347_thumb.jpg

post-75-13428932112975_thumb.jpg

post-75-13428933115896_thumb.jpg

post-75-13428934034802_thumb.jpg

post-75-13428935719069_thumb.jpg

post-75-1342893817056_thumb.jpg

post-75-13428939669856_thumb.jpg

Posted

Nice pics as usual Randy. You owe me a key oard, I just shorted mine out drooling all over it! :lol:

Posted

Some very cool stuff there, would love to visit that place somedy. Wassup with the prop hub on the radial engine in pic#3... w00t! :blink:

Posted

Some very cool stuff there, would love to visit that place somedy. Wassup with the prop hub on the radial engine in pic#3... w00t! blink.gif

Thats what happens when you got a bunch of pocket protector wearing high water pants engineers lam.gif sitting around on a friday night share_doobie.gif .... You just know one of them said to the other...duuuuude, i juuust thought of a way to reaaaaaaly blow some pilots mellons.. Lets put the blades sticking out the sides of the huuubs and reeeeeeeeeeally mess with them. Cripes, nothing worse than a stoned engineer with a mission :lmao: I know, I deal with trying to fix their brain cramps every day. No offence to any of you engineer types out there, you should know that there has always been a fued between the enjineer guy that says on paper it should work this way, the welder guy (sparkle headed flux sniffer) that says the engineer is an fn hammerhead.gif and dont know the difference between his ass and a hole in the ground so he is gonna do it how he knows best and make it work, and the inspector who comes along and jerks a knot in the welders ass for going against the design without proper authorization.. Then the welder and the inspector have a pow wow and go gang up on the engineer biggun.gif

:lol: Yup, do it every day here! :lmao:

Posted (edited)

Hey Guys,
I just stumbled across this.  I volunteer at WAAAM on a pusher restoration project, and I thought I would speak a little regarding this funky prop.  akflyer - no offense taken!
The hub and blade design were developed by Maynard DiCesare.  Main goals were to get more blade surface closer to the center, increase airflow over the cylinders, keep mass closer in to reduce risk of vibration, and allow a smaller overall prop diameter for the same blade area.  That's the claim anyway.  I can't imagine the complexity of the profile's geometry, since the air is no longer hitting the leading edge straight on but at varying angles depending on the radius....arg!
I have some manufacturer's literature if anyone really wants to get into it...
To my knowledge no visitor at WAAAM has seen a prop like this before.  Maybe there's a reason for that.  We also have 6-cylinder radial... any guesses how that works? :)

Edited by Chewie

Posted

Hey Chewie,

Thanks for the information on that prop.  I love to visit the museum whenever I get back "home".  Matter of fact I will be heading there this coming weekend; be there for a little while before we head to the Steens hunting, but maybe I can get to the museum after we get back to Hood River and before I head back to AK.  It would be great to run into you there.

Posted

Randy,

For sure!  I'll PM you later...

Mark