Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Alaska Flying Envy

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I have been following my son Brent and his group of 3 planes on SPOT on their way to Anchorage the last few days.

They just landed at Northway Airport and appear to have 300 miles to go.

I was not invited due to my Kitfox's 80 mph cruise and short range.

I want to make this trip in the future to experience Alaska by air.

What is the realistic cruise speed of a 912 S powered Kitfox or Avid with 26 or 29 inch bushwheels and what would the fuel burn be?

Thanks Herman

Posted

#1 Time to take the kid out behind the wood shed n teach him a lil something about respecting dear old dad and paying him back for the sacrifices you made to get him to the point he is at now! smilielol.gif

#2 The cruise, depending on if its STOL or speed wing should be around 95 and 3.5 -4 GPH.

Another option is to load it up on a trailer and drive up. You can be here by ground probably quicker than you can by air from where you are due to being able to drive longer days and not worry about sitting out weather. Then once here, unload and just have a blast around the state. Putting the plane on the ferry would be another option too!

Larry or some of the others may chime in on what their fuel burn is, but these are the numbers I have seen posted pretty regularly.

BC.gif

Posted

My kid just landed in Anchorage.

He was a day late due to weather in the lower 48.

Leni; can't do the woodshed idea because he lets me use his hanger and fly his Bonanza.

This all started 20 years ago when he was 12 years old.

He flew and I just sat there.

When he soloed the Kitfox on his 16th birthday I got to fly again.

My wife raised a great kid.

Herman

Posted

My kid just landed in Anchorage.

He was a day late due to weather in the lower 48.

Leni; can't do the woodshed idea because he lets me use his hanger and fly his Bonanza.

This all started 20 years ago when he was 12 years old.

He flew and I just sat there.

When he soloed the Kitfox on his 16th birthday I got to fly again.

My wife raised a great kid.

Herman

Nothing better than sharing the cockpit with your son (or daughter) and passing on the love of flying! I was just kidding about the woodshed :lol:

Great to hear that he made it safe!

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Leni,

This may sound dumb coming from an Alaska pilot: All that I flew up there had lights on as required - What if your plane doesnt have lights? Can you fly in Alaska without lights? (legally, that is) I'm sure I saw J3s flying without lights.

Does it just require lights on - if you have lights? What about Canada?

Herman, you probably know if you need a transponder to fly across Canada.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed

I did not know about the transponder requirement in Canada.

Good to know.

Herman

Posted (edited)

Ed

I did not know about the transponder requirement in Canada.

Good to know.

Herman

Alaska is like flying here - no transponder required outside of ATC zones.

Lots different flying in Canada - you need Canadian charts, have to check in at border airport, file and maintain flight plan and check in with radio, Have 12 inch numbers on plane, no pistols, file a firearms form for any firearm, cant be semi-auto with more than 5 in clip (I think), no military guns, Kiss Queen, etc. Lots of homework to do before crossing the border. Your son should have known all of this.

Better to ask than to receive the penalty for not asking. IMO

Oh yes, hear they frown on extra gas cans in plane and dont approve rubber fuel lines inside of cockpit, at least for us, I think.

Just happens that I have gone from Missouri to Alaska a dozen or more times and back on roads, and a dozen or more by plane, but never in my own plane - did check on it tho for future reference.

I think there are books on crossing Canada by light plane.

The Canadian bush flyers are like us and probably dont fly under the same restrictions that apply for crossing the borders and Air Defense Zones (ADZ)/(ADIZ).

Much easier to truck up to Alaska, IMO.

Also, there is a complete FAR rulebook for Alaska flying - you should get it too.

ED in MO

Edit: Dont forget Passport and plane insurance for Canada.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Alaska is like flying here - no transponder required outside of ATC zones.

Lots different flying in Canada - you need Canadian charts, have to check in at border airport, file and maintain flight plan and check in with radio, Have 12 inch numbers on plane, no pistols, file a firearms form for any firearm, cant be semi-auto with more than 5 in clip (I think), no military guns, Kiss Queen, etc. Lots of homework to do before crossing the border. Your son should have known all of this.

Better to ask than to receive the penalty for not asking. IMO

Oh yes, hear they frown on extra gas cans in plane and dont approve rubber fuel lines inside of cockpit, at least for us, I think.

Just happens that I have gone from Missouri to Alaska a dozen or more times and back on roads, and a dozen or more by plane, but never in my own plane - did check on it tho for future reference.

I think there are books on crossing Canada by light plane.

The Canadian bush flyers are like us and probably dont fly under the same restrictions that apply for crossing the borders and Air Defense Zones (ADZ)/(ADIZ).

Much easier to truck up to Alaska, IMO.

Also, there is a complete FAR rulebook for Alaska flying - you should get it too.

ED in MO

Edit: Dont forget Passport and plane insurance for Canada.

Canuck here,

No transponder is required if flying outside ATC zones. Some FSS sites have radar and might ask you to squawk a code for traffic purposes but you can easily transit Canada without one. Be sure to get a Canadian map and find all the little airports along your intended route. My suggestion is to cross the border in Saskatchewan or Alberta and clear customs at the closest FSS serviced airport provided that has customs.

FSS is a little different up here. At Canadian airports service by FSS you contact them as "(Airport name) Radio" and they provide traffic information and airport advisory services like prefered runway, wind and altimeter. They're usually quite helpful. Well, I am cause i'm of the few FSS that have my own plane and enjoy my job. Just be sure call 5 minutes prior to entering the CZ (usually 5 miles for FSS airports in Canada) and give your aircraft type, full N-number and ETA.

My route if going from the states would be to cross the border in southern Saskatchewan rather than Alberta because of the unpredictable weather and winds coming off the rocks in Alberta then head up through Kindersley (I used to fix planes there and it has cheap fuel and nice people) then on to Lloydminster to stop and refuel/visit the super guys at the Flight Service Station there and see my Avid. Then skirt just north of the Edmonton control area over to Whitecourt or Valleyview or Grande Prairie depending on fuel. Then to Fort St. John, BC for fuel and weather check. Then up to Fort Nelson and on over to Watson Lake. From there you can make Whitehorse and you're off to AK.

Just my thoughts. When i'm done restoring my J3 i'm planning a trip along this route. I worked in Fort St. John FSS and have seen a lot of people try to take the trench route to the west claiming it was faster. Well its a couple hundred miles of steep narrow pass with only water to land on and its a big channel for air masses moving south. Don't let anyone convince you its a good idea unless you like sitting and waiting out weather. My route keeps you west of the rocks and over the Alaska highway. Its a beautiful route with many airports and tons to see and do. Best of all you don't need a transponder till you get to Whitehorse and even then if you call them ahead of time, it shouldn't be an issue. If you fly, be sure to stop in and talk to some of the FSS guys in the towers. We love to chat unlike most controllers who don't like many visitors lol.

No firearms that haven't been declared and no pistols or revolvers can be carried on you. Everything must be unloaded and locked up. Give the border agency guys a call. I'm sure they can easily answer all those questions.

As for the aircraft, I've never heard of anyone checking size of N-numbers or for rubber fuel lines. Remember that most of these border guys are more excited just to see an airplane. We have home builts up here as well and I've seen some scary stuff flying the skies. As for gas cans, i've seen local guys rig up in flight refueling from a gas can strapped to the seat beside them. Even if someone frowns on it they can't do a thing about it. We have some amazing freedoms when it comes to flying in Canada. Just remember to file a flight plan and ask to make sure its open and for sure closed when landing. You don't want the fuel bill for that Herc that comes looking for you cause you're overdue on closing.

Hope this helps,

Darcy

Edited by Alberta Avidator

Posted

Ed,

No requirements for lights up here for daytime flight. This works out great in the summer as you nev er really need them, but only gives you a couple hours a day in the winter to fly.. There are ALOT of planes up here with no electrical hence no nav lights. After a few close calls I had I put on wig wag lights for max visibility and some kick ass bright landing lights on the float struts too.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Canuck here,

No transponder is required if flying outside ATC zones. Some FSS sites have radar and might ask you to squawk a code for traffic purposes but you can easily transit Canada without one. Be sure to get a Canadian map and find all the little airports along your intended route. My suggestion is to cross the border in Saskatchewan or Alberta and clear customs at the closest FSS serviced airport provided that has customs.

FSS is a little different up here. At Canadian airports service by FSS you contact them as "(Airport name) Radio" and they provide traffic information and airport advisory services like prefered runway, wind and altimeter. They're usually quite helpful. Well, I am cause i'm of the few FSS that have my own plane and enjoy my job. Just be sure call 5 minutes prior to entering the CZ (usually 5 miles for FSS airports in Canada) and give your aircraft type, full N-number and ETA.

My route if going from the states would be to cross the border in southern Saskatchewan rather than Alberta because of the unpredictable weather and winds coming off the rocks in Alberta then head up through Kindersley (I used to fix planes there and it has cheap fuel and nice people) then on to Lloydminster to stop and refuel/visit the super guys at the Flight Service Station there and see my Avid. Then skirt just north of the Edmonton control area over to Whitecourt or Valleyview or Grande Prairie depending on fuel. Then to Fort St. John, BC for fuel and weather check. Then up to Fort Nelson and on over to Watson Lake. From there you can make Whitehorse and you're off to AK.

Just my thoughts. When i'm done restoring my J3 i'm planning a trip along this route. I worked in Fort St. John FSS and have seen a lot of people try to take the trench route to the west claiming it was faster. Well its a couple hundred miles of steep narrow pass with only water to land on and its a big channel for air masses moving south. Don't let anyone convince you its a good idea unless you like sitting and waiting out weather. My route keeps you west of the rocks and over the Alaska highway. Its a beautiful route with many airports and tons to see and do. Best of all you don't need a transponder till you get to Whitehorse and even then if you call them ahead of time, it shouldn't be an issue. If you fly, be sure to stop in and talk to some of the FSS guys in the towers. We love to chat unlike most controllers who don't like many visitors lol.

No firearms that haven't been declared and no pistols or revolvers can be carried on you. Everything must be unloaded and locked up. Give the border agency guys a call. I'm sure they can easily answer all those questions.

As for the aircraft, I've never heard of anyone checking size of N-numbers or for rubber fuel lines. Remember that most of these border guys are more excited just to see an airplane. We have home builts up here as well and I've seen some scary stuff flying the skies. As for gas cans, i've seen local guys rig up in flight refueling from a gas can strapped to the seat beside them. Even if someone frowns on it they can't do a thing about it. We have some amazing freedoms when it comes to flying in Canada. Just remember to file a flight plan and ask to make sure its open and for sure closed when landing. You don't want the fuel bill for that Herc that comes looking for you cause you're overdue on closing.

Hope this helps,

Darcy

Thanks for the info Darcy, Anyone working for FSS should have more info than I do.

I was quoting from books on crossings I read some 10 to 15 years ago. The U.S. requires 12 inch numbers in some zones, and my book said that it was a regulation in Canadian crossings. I've heard of pilots painting them on with washable colors, and removing them on return to U.S. Of course, not all things are done by the book, but a foreigner might have more problems with the law than citizens. It spoke plainly about solid gas lines, and extra tanks, on border crossing inspections, and that was before 9/11.

Leni,

Thanks for clarifying the lights - was told that if you have them, better to keep them on for safety around all those wild Alaskan pilots. But think that the FARs for Alaska said you HAVE to use them if you have them - that was 15 years ago in AMT school.

Don't matter much in a J3 unless you carry a big battery-powered portable spotlight - now why would anyone want to spotlight from a plane.....Maybe that explains some of the bullet holes going thru the back of props?.....HA!

ED in MO

P.S. Herman, Darcy gave you great info on routes too. The Alaska highway is always there for a landing strip if you need it. several small strips along it too. There is a $20 DVD, Flying the Alaska Highway, in Spruce, it also gives you Canadian crossing info, and you get a look at the AlCan (Alaska/Canadian) highway along the route to Whitehorse and beyond. No one ever told me I could call Whitehorse and go in without a transponder - guess I should have asked.

ED in 107F MO

Darcy, Ive stayed at St. John many times - nice place & nice people there. Pulled trailers from Mel Stewarts there.

I think Herman said he would be coming up the Western route to the Alcan highway. I have only used some of the Eastern routes.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Herman,

You or your son should get a copy of "THE MILEPOST" if you dont have one.

It gives you 20 times more information about every tenth of mile on the Alaska highway and connecting highways, as well as all the highways in Alaska. Food, gas, motels, canping, landing strips and everything else is listed in it. It is like a thick phonebook, and is the Bible for Alaska highway travel. It is sold everywhere in Alaska, and probably on the internet or in bookstores.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

My son Brent arrived in Anchorage on Monday.

He flew the "trench".

He and the 2 other planes must have done their homework because the border crossings were non events.

They were carrying shotguns for bear protection.

He was carrying 3 Alaskan Bushwheel 5 gallon fuel bladders but said he could have made the trip without them but will use them while exploring Alaska this week.

He has commented repeatedly how friendly the people they have met in Canada and Alaska are.

A pilot a Hood airport came up to his family on the ramp and offered the use of his cabin 30 miles north of Anchorage and also gave them a ride to a restaurant.

I hope to make this trip myself soon.

Canada, Alaska and Airplanes make for a great adventure.

Herman

Edited by herman pahls

Posted

My son Brent and his family just returned from Anchorage by Airlines.

I am so jealous of the great experience he had flying Alaska.

He left his Pacer tied down at Merrill field till he returns to fly it home.

Does anyone know of hanger space for rent in case we leave it for the winter?

His family of 4 is out growing the Pacer so it is for sale or trade up for a Maule or light weight C-180 or C-185

1960 PA 22-20, 0-320 160 HP, 400 SMOH, Borer Prop, 31 inch Alaskan Bushwheels and ABW tailwheel, Ron Sullivan wing tip extensions, VG's, Very clean inside and out with leather upholstery.

Oregon Herman 541 404 6464 Brent 541 404 2775

Thanks