Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

another day in paradise

6 posts in this topic

Posted

well it looks like it will be another day in paradise here... great for flying.. 6 degrees and winds 23-38.  Nice balmy -32 chill factor.  Oh well at least I am on the ground wishing I was in the air instead of the other way around..

:beerchug:

Posted

I'll send ya a weather report from Key West soon....  :beerchug:

steve

011[1].JPG

Posted

that is not right and pretty much breaks all the rules of Man law 101.... wait no it doesnt, rule 37 says you must rub your cool vacations in your frozen buddies face... you are in the clear I guess....

Ill let you know how the flight was over 100000000000 jagged rocks and pine trees :lol:

:beerchug:

Posted

Wx sounds about right in AK for a halibut fishing trip out of Homer!  Last time we went out, there was about 10 people on board and all but 3 of us was feeding the fish, none of them had a line in the water.  The winds were about 20-25 kts. out of the west, but the charter boat guy said he wasn't worried.  Turned out that he was right.  It was a bit rough at times.  I think we were out there in November if I remember correctly.  It wasn't near as bad as a deer hunting trip we went on out of Valdez.  In January, we were aboard a 42' boat.  There were six guys and the boat captain.  we did real well with the weather up until the boat captain decided to go home about 2 weeks into the trip.  That flower of his family decided to make a run for Valdez from Hinchinbrook Island with 40 knot winds.  We made it back in but it was not a boat ride that I ever want to do again.

John Hart

Posted

Oh I have taken out many "pukers"... I grew up commercial fishing the inlet.  Started off setnetting on the West side on Chisik Island, then we went to Drifting and Long Lining... Long Lining was my favorite as you never know what you will be bringing up.. Nothing like being on hour 36 with no sleep hauling in at 2:00 am bringing in halibut after halibut gaffing them as they hit the stern and tossing them in the hold, kinda like a robot at this point... then all of a sudden a 30' baskin shark comes up from the depths of hell and scares the ever loving crap outa you...or a 16' salmon shark.. a cousin to the great white.. that will wake you up!  Oh the good ole days..  Wish I still had Dads old boat and was passing the secrets of fishing onto my kids.. ONe of these days I will buy another one.

Posted

A boat up there on the saltwater would be nice.  I've thought about it, but I know that there's no way I can work one commercially and come out ahead financially.  What with the permits (or lack of them), licensing, cost of fuel, and limited seasons, a guy just starting out don't have a chance.  I've also considered a 35 to 45 foot sailboat (with an engine on board too) as a summer home in southeast AK, or Prince William Sound, but then I get to thinking about the cost of maintaining one and quickly lose that ambition.  Guess I'd better stay with a little airplane and be happy!  ;D