Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

wiring ?

15 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm going to add lights to my project and was just curious what type/ gauge of wire everyone was using. Also for the engine install as well, the wire that came with my kit (in 1986) is the four strand trailer wiring.

Posted (edited)

I'm going to add lights to my project and was just curious what type/ gauge of wire everyone was using. Also for the engine install as well, the wire that came with my kit (in 1986) is the four strand trailer wiring.

If you add strobe lights, you will need sheilded wire, and ground the sheild at each end. Usually, the alternator output is also sheilded. AC43-13 has a wire chart according to load and length, but you will probably get more help from Avid builders and the manuals for your engine. If you put LED bulbs in position lights, you can run a very small wire to them, probably 20 or 22 AWG, unsheilded. I dont know how particular an Inspector will be about whether the wire is "aircraft" or Autozone? Each wire should be numbered and tagged at each end - any kind of marking which you think will last is good enough.

If you use powerful (like 100 or 250 watt) landing lights, make sure your switch is rated about 5 times the amperage draw, because of the huge inrush to the bulb when you turn them on. They use a lot of juice, so.........? One builder I know used one of the Million-candlepower portable lights as his landing light - now, I see that they have 3 million cp with 2 blubs - something to consider is if they have their own battery, rechargeable, and run off of 12 volt power and set up a remote switch in cockpit for them.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

I knew about the shielded wire for strobes I haven't decided where I want to put strobes I'm thinking just one on just behind the turtle deck or on the top rear of the skylight (that is how my skyraider was and I liked it) . I was thinking a small gauge automotive wire should work fine for in the wings for the nav lights..?. I'm definitely going to replace the bulbs with LED's as you have suggested also I did order the wingtip standoffs from kitfox that you mentioned as well. Thanks

Robert

Edit: here is a pic of my old skyraider notice the strobe on top of the skylight.

post-352-13451531630272_thumb.jpg

Edited by High Country

Posted (edited)

I knew about the shielded wire for strobes I haven't decided where I want to put strobes I'm thinking just one on just behind the turtle deck or on the top rear of the skylight (that is how my skyraider was and I liked it) . I was thinking a small gauge automotive wire should work fine for in the wings for the nav lights..?. I'm definitely going to replace the bulbs with LED's as you have suggested also I did order the wingtip standoffs from kitfox that you mentioned as well. Thanks

Robert

Edit: here is a pic of my old skyraider notice the strobe on top of the skylight.

You read faster than I can edit and type my original post - please read it again - Check out your Spruce catalog for "LEGAL" strobe setups - there is a chart by Whelen, and you may have a different approach - I would not want a strobe where you had it - and almost sure it will not be legal alone for night flight. Probably OK in daylight if it dont bother you.

ED in MO

P.S. I tried to buy a pair of Grimes model E, pos. lites on E-bay this week - but dropped out when the bid went to $60. Thought maybe you or someone would want themn at cost - not over $50 - someday.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I'm not too concerned with legal night flying as I don't plan to go out at night but may occasionally make an early (before sun up) departure but would be planning to land in day light, or if I accidentally stayed out a bit too late uhh again... it would be nice to have some sort of lighting. because I don't plan to use them all the time one thought I had for a landing light was to get one of the stream light flashlights that are made to mount to a rifle, they have butt cap switches with wires made to be mounted remotely, this way I would have a minimal landing light that is self powered and I don't have to worry about drawing off of my very limited power supply, This will be added after phase 1 complete so nobody gives me any trouble. Im'm mostly concerned with having the nav lights on the wingtips at the moment as everything else would be a pretty easy install after its all complete.

-Robert-

Posted (edited)

Robert,

believe you should weld-in mount,or make provisions for a tail light before you cover. (Night-legal)

Whenever you go from day flight to night flight, you are in the FARs the same as a certified plane.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Robert,

believe you should weld-in mount,or make provisions for a tail light before you cover. (Night-legal)

Whenever you go from day flight to night flight, you are in the FARs the same as a certified plane.

ED in MO

Anyone have pics of this being done on an Avid or KF (without the speed fairngs) before covering is on so I can see what i'm getting into.

Posted

I'm not too concerned with legal night flying as I don't plan to go out at night but may occasionally make an early (before sun up) departure but would be planning to land in day light, or if I accidentally stayed out a bit too late uhh again... it would be nice to have some sort of lighting. because I don't plan to use them all the time one thought I had for a landing light was to get one of the stream light flashlights that are made to mount to a rifle, they have butt cap switches with wires made to be mounted remotely, this way I would have a minimal landing light that is self powered and I don't have to worry about drawing off of my very limited power supply, This will be added after phase 1 complete so nobody gives me any trouble. Im'm mostly concerned with having the nav lights on the wingtips at the moment as everything else would be a pretty easy install after its all complete.

-Robert-

You are talking to a lifetime night-shifter - I rarely get up early, but chase the sun as it goes down, and want lights to appear legal, and not get hit - I am now Light-Sport licensed because dont want to take another medical - so not legal anymore for night flight. Guess I may have a touch of Epillepsy, as flashing lights really bother me - Take-down lights on patrol car used to be a bitch......

ED in MO

Posted (edited)

Anyone have pics of this being done on an Avid or KF (without the speed fairngs) before covering is on so I can see what i'm getting into.

I have never seen any photos - but you might contact Kitfox - I know they have lights on the McBean plane there. Since you ARE Experimental - and want to be "sort-of" legal, how about going to the autoparts store and scrounge around for something that would work? I have a Grimes tail light on my bench, but no mount - I have seen the mount welded to plain rudders like on the Champ. You just stretch your fabric over it and form a little streamlined bump. You also need a short tube or some provision thru which your wire will pass thru on its way to the rudder. A soft tube, epoxied, works. I am still looking for alternatives for my tail light, so let me know if you find something. LEDs would be great....

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

I haveent been to Autozone in about a year - last time I was there I picked up some cool-looking LED streamlined lights, and a package of LED strobe buttons with a 12 volt battery-powered controller - sure they can be wired into a 12 volt system. Saw some other options there, but got to check them out again. Not spendy - by comparing aircraft prices.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Robert,

I am watching a set of Grimes E model pos lites on Ebay - they are $32.50 now, but sure they will go for $50 or more.

SUGGESTION: For your "twilight" flying, you can get a new set of ultralight LED pos lites P/N 11-01356 for $36.75 from Spruce. These should work for you. If you buy Grimes for $50 plus shipping, and pay $44 plus shipping for 2 LED bulbs, you will have about $125 invested. If I didnt have my Grimes with the strobe attachment, that is the way I would go.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

FYI: The Grimes Model E position lights I was watching went for $32 + 8.50 shipping. Unfortunately, the storm or something took away my internet and I didnt get in on the last of the bidding.

ED in MO

P.S. Guess we had a good talk about lights - For other wiring, I would use Aircraft grade for CRITICAL wiring, and auto-wire for lights and non-critical stuff. I have the remains of a KF1 because the builder used a too small wire for the fuel pump, and that put him into a tree..........If you know amperage and length of run, I can look up the AWG in AC43-13.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

FYI: The Grimes Model E position lights I was watching went for $32 + 8.50 shipping. Unfortunately, the storm or something took away my internet and I didnt get in on the last of the bidding.

ED in MO

P.S. Guess we had a good talk about lights - For other wiring, I would use Aircraft grade for CRITICAL wiring, and auto-wire for lights and non-critical stuff. I have the remains of a KF1 because the builder used a too small wire for the fuel pump, and that put him into a tree..........If you know amperage and length of run, I can look up the AWG in AC43-13.

So you were biding me up on the lights :hammerhead: LoL. I won those grimes lights for 32 + 8.50. Still waiting for the standoffs from KF they are only 2hrs drive from me so I figured they would be here by now but I don't think they were in much of a hurry to get them mailed. also got some other parts as well. Where is the best place to purchase Aircraft grade wiring at? I still have to figure out how much I need. Mostly concerned with getting the wings all ready for fabric at the moment.

-Robert-

Posted (edited)

So you were biding me up on the lights :hammerhead: LoL. I won those grimes lights for 32 + 8.50. Still waiting for the standoffs from KF they are only 2hrs drive from me so I figured they would be here by now but I don't think they were in much of a hurry to get them mailed. also got some other parts as well. Where is the best place to purchase Aircraft grade wiring at? I still have to figure out how much I need. Mostly concerned with getting the wings all ready for fabric at the moment.

-Robert-

So you got the lights cheaper because my internet went down and I would have run you up to $50...LLOL !!!!! GOOD FOR YOU. Actually, I never got to bid on them. Now you can order the LED bulbs and start wiring.......What was cost of Kitfox mounts? Dont know about buying wiring. Need to know someday myself.

Good building,

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Sorry I don't have a good photo of this but it is easy. Just buy the weld in ring with the tubing cup ends, cut a short section out of the rear tube of your rudder and weld in the ring. You can just see a bit of the weld in one photo and the ring area in the covered rudder photo.

post-75-13460498195691_thumb.jpg

post-75-13460500937227_thumb.jpg