Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Son's First Sheep!

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I decided it was time to take my son sheep hunting this year. It had been a while since I had been (I think 7 years or so). We had a great time and you can't beat the beauty of the Brooks Range and the abuse your body can take and still have fun. He got this nice 7/8 curl that F&G aged at 9 years. I wouldn't have told him to shoot but we had a good look at it at 10 yards and then studied it in the spotting scope until I had counted at least 8 rings a half dozen times. (one of the smaller Rams was 10 feet when they walked into us). We thought they would continue to feed up the draw they were in but they popped up on the little knob we were on. Not many times they give you that much time to study them. I think they just couldn't believe that we were so close to them (but had the wind in our favor so they couldn't smell us). There's nothing like Sheep hunting except flying!

post-75-13455758350047_thumb.jpg

post-75-1345575958583_thumb.jpg

post-75-13455760705851_thumb.jpg

post-75-13455762031845_thumb.jpg

post-75-134557637469_thumb.jpg

post-75-13455765328564_thumb.jpg

Posted

I decided it was time to take my son sheep hunting this year. It had been a while since I had been (I think 7 years or so). We had a great time and you can't beat the beauty of the Brooks Range and the abuse your body can take and still have fun. He got this nice 7/8 curl that F&G aged at 9 years. I wouldn't have told him to shoot but we had a good look at it at 10 yards and then studied it in the spotting scope until I had counted at least 8 rings a half dozen times. (one of the smaller Rams was 10 feet when they walked into us). We thought they would continue to feed up the draw they were in but they popped up on the little knob we were on. Not many times they give you that much time to study them. I think they just couldn't believe that we were so close to them (but had the wind in our favor so they couldn't smell us). There's nothing like Sheep hunting except flying!

GOOD HUNT - Great father/son times - Unfortunately, it reminded me of the loss of a friend there who was spotting sheep in his Taylorcraft and got too slow, or found a hole in the wind and stalled into the mountain.

ED in MO

Posted

Nice pics, build those memories while you can! I still remember the first time my father took me deer hunting. It was bow season and colder than a witch's tit, very hard to keep still. But we brought home the meat and I'll never forget how good it felt to warm my hands as we field dressed that deer. Now I have enough trouble hiking up and down our 1200'-1500' hills, not sure I would make it up that mountain you guys were on without an O2 bottle.

Posted

Great hunt

My son is up in the reserve now sheep hunting

him and one of his friends flew in with a charter.

I moose and deer hunt with him but the moutains are

in my past