Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

handheld problems

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm having problems making my Vertex VXA 150 work in my Kitfox. I've tried both an external antenna and the rubber duckie, both receive fine but when I try to transmitt I'm unreadable. I think it is background noise. On the ground everyone can hear me fine with the engine running but not in the air. I've tried it with the internal mic on the handheld turned off using the headset mic and with the headset mic unplugged and using the internal radio mic, no difference. The radio is on it's own battery and not tied into the a/c electrical system in any way. Any suggestions before I spring for a new radio ? I'm using a Peltor 7004 headset that works fine in other high noise aircraft.

Posted

I had to put leather mic muffs on my headsets because of background noise. I have a KF4 w/ 912ul but another local buddy KF4 w/ Jab2200 had to do the same. We both have panel radios. Seem kinda pricey for what they are but a lot cheaper than a new radio. Might be something to try.

Posted

Doug,

Where did you get the leather mic muffs? Thanks, Bryce

Posted

@ Bryce- got them from www.skygeek.com. There are different size covers so you need to know what mic your headset has. Best fit for the M-7A electret microphone on my David Clark H10-20's was the PA-11 cover. They also come with foam windscreens, which is good because replacement foam windscreens from Clark are like $5 each. I figured the leather cover was worth trying for another $5. Does work best when the 2nd mic has the cover on too. Noticeable ambient noise reduction with my equipment, worth it IMHO.

Posted

Thanks Doug! I get a ton of noise in the mic and have wondered what to do about it, now I know. Bryce

Posted

I had the same issue. I installed a high noise intercom and that took care of the tower telling me they could not hear me in my flying lawn mower... Then I went to an icom panel mount, but had to keep the high noise intercom.

:BC:

Posted

I had the same issue. I installed a high noise intercom and that took care of the tower telling me they could not hear me in my flying lawn mower... Then I went to an icom panel mount, but had to keep the high noise intercom.

:BC:

Hey Leni,

Are you saying there are different intercoms based on noise level? What was the intercom you switched to? Thanks, Bryce

Posted

Have you tried borrowing a headset from a friend just to make sure its your mic? I'm using a DC 13.4 with a foam mic cover and an ancient panel mount radio and never had an issue with noise according to my buddy who's usually out flying whenever I am.

Also, if you have a fixed antenna, where is it mounted and does it have a good size metal plate under it to fire that signal off of? A few of the fabric planes around here needed to put in a circular metal disk about 5 inch across under the fabric at the antenna to help out. This again is more for weak signals than noise interference.

Cheers.

Posted

Not sure how this is going to work as this is my first post to this forum. First thing to do is to determine where the problem really lies. If the radio sounds fine on the ground with the engine running ask the people receiving to try to identify the problem. Is it too much noise from the background or is it an electrical generated noise. Before checking for mic issues you may have to check your mic technique. If the mic is not touching your lips then it is too far away and may let more background noise into the system. Also talking too loud because you think you have to overcome the noise of the engine will actually overdrive the mic and cause distortion making your transmissions hard to read. Couple of things to think about to try and help you track down the real issue. Just my two cents.

Norm

Posted

Warning!! Highjacking thread to Welcome Norm to the group. welcome.gif

On a side note, I was driving thru Vulcan this past weekend on my way from Lethbridge to Vermilion and naturally stopped to check out a new airport. I spotted an Avid with the registration C-IJIJ. Tonight I looked up on registry to see who owned it and then came onto the forums and saw your post. If you happen to be the same Norm then the world of Avids is small indeed.

Darcy