Propeller Pitch for Avid with Rotax 582-E

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

I have an Avid Flyer MK-IV with Rotax 582-E. The reduction ratio should be 2,62x1

I'm wondering what is the best propeller pitch in order to keep cruise speed around 90 MPH.

Thanks.

Posted

Hi,

I have an Avid Flyer MK-IV with Rotax 582-E. The reduction ratio should be 2,62x1

I'm wondering what is the best propeller pitch in order to keep cruise speed around 90 MPH.

Thanks.

What kind of prop, what is the length, two blade or 3 blade?? Lots more to the equation than pitch.

I'm running an E box with the same reduction. I have a two blade 70" warp drive prop. On mine setting my pitch for an RPM of about 6150rpm on takeoff gives me the fastest cruise but climb really suffers.

Posted

What kind of prop, what is the length, two blade or 3 blade?? Lots more to the equation than pitch.

I'm running an E box with the same reduction. I have a two blade 70" warp drive prop. On mine setting my pitch for an RPM of about 6150rpm on takeoff gives me the fastest cruise but climb really suffers.

I have a two blade 66x44. It takeoff and climb very well, but cruise is about 70 to 75MPH. In my understand, it should give me about 87 MPH. I'm wondering if I should replace the propeller to a 66x41 in order to speed up the cruise.

Actually the seller told me that current propeller is 66x44, but on this weekend I will remove the spinner for confirmation.

You can have a better idea about how the propeller looks like on this picture:

[ http://www.livio.adm.br/fotos-avid-jan-2012/photos/avid-8.jpg ]

Posted

Nice looking plane, Livio.

As Joey (C5) mentioned most of the planes running the 582 motors have a ground adjustable propeller. If you are looking to replace your prop that would be highly recommended. There are many options but the are adjustable to match the plane and motor characteristics.

Posted

Actually I made a confusion. The currect one is 66x41 and I'm wondering if I should replace by 66x44 in order to speedup the cruise.

I agree that a ground adjustable propeller may be a good idea. I will take a look in the options and prices here in Brazil.

Posted

Hi,

Thanks.

Hi Marcelo,

Good to have you here on this site. A fixed pitch propellor that gives you 90 mph cruise will also give poor climb performance like Joey said. Most Avids w/ 582 and stol/heavy hauler wings cruise 80-85 mph at best because of all of the drag. I have an inflight adjustable prop and to get 90 mph it requires alot of power and pitch, which burns alot of gas. So i usually just cruise along at 80 mph enjoying the experience! Bryce

Posted

Hi Marcelo,

Good to have you here on this site. A fixed pitch propellor that gives you 90 mph cruise will also give poor climb performance like Joey said. Most Avids w/ 582 and stol/heavy hauler wings cruise 80-85 mph at best because of all of the drag. I have an inflight adjustable prop and to get 90 mph it requires alot of power and pitch, which burns alot of gas. So i usually just cruise along at 80 mph enjoying the experience! Bryce

Thanks for all tips. I will let you know when I replace the propeller and how will be the progress.

For now, time do sleep because tomorrow will be a great day for good flights :-)

Thanks everyone.