Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

fiberglass leading edge

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I am building an Avid Mark 4 STOL. I had a lot of repairs to do in one wing and have decided to recover both wings. I just ordered all the fabric and material from Spruce today. I am studying the manual and looking at the optional fiberglass leading edge ( mine does not have this ) Does anyone have any experience with thils option? If yes how much weight does it add and is it worth the trouble ? Mine also does not have the fiberglass wing tips and I am interested in that option.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Bill in Payson AZ

1 person likes this

Posted

I am building an Avid Mark 4 STOL. I had a lot of repairs to do in one wing and have decided to recover both wings. I just ordered all the fabric and material from Spruce today. I am studying the manual and looking at the optional fiberglass leading edge ( mine does not have this ) Does anyone have any experience with thils option? If yes how much weight does it add and is it worth the trouble ? Mine also does not have the fiberglass wing tips and I am interested in that option.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Bill in Payson AZ

Bill, No experience, but I have the Avid Magnum manual, and think it may tell how much weight the LE adds - I THINK? 10 pounds?

ED in MO

Posted (edited)

What do you have for a FWF, I believe the biggest benefit of the leading edge extensions is to move the cg so you can have a bigger engine. I'm sure others here can be more help than I am. also what do you have for wingtips now? do they just execute at the tip rib.

-Robert-

[Edit] after rereading your post are you referring to just the fiberglass leading edge to give a smooth leading edge or are you referring to the leading edge extensions?

Edited by High Country

Posted

Yes, a bit confused here as well. To the best of my knowledge, Avid never offered a f/g leading edge extension.

Bill - are you referring to the sheeting placed on the top capstrips from leading edge to approx 16" rearward? I know my old manual showed aluminum sheeting for this, but several builders substituted birch ply instead as it was less prone to dents and 'oil-canning'. A local C model has done this and I like the look, really smooths and cleans up the top of the wing.

Posted

Yes, a bit confused here as well. To the best of my knowledge, Avid never offered a f/g leading edge extension.

Bill - are you referring to the sheeting placed on the top capstrips from leading edge to approx 16" rearward? I know my old manual showed aluminum sheeting for this, but several builders substituted birch ply instead as it was less prone to dents and 'oil-canning'. A local C model has done this and I like the look, really smooths and cleans up the top of the wing.

I was sure that Bill was asking about the sheeting from the LE about 16" back on top & not my LE extensions. The Magnum manual shows this in fiberglas.

ED in MO