Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

another avid +

28 posts in this topic

Posted

Looks like too much to me too. Even if the original 108-1/2" wing was built to the book with 1-1/2" twist, a 36" extension would add less than an additional 1/2" twist, or just under 2" twist total over 144". Makes me wonder how much washout is in the original 108-1/2" section. Can you check that measure? I also agree the leading edge extrusion looks like it was positioned too low as you noted. I would change it. As Ed mentioned, one possible option is to simply remove the wing extension kit and fly it with the short wings while you build or search up an alternative set of long wings. I can tell you from my build that the Kitfox Hoerner style f/g wingtips will fit the Avid speed rib profile with very little modification and add about 18" width per side. Plus you can make them easily removable, as opposed to the fixed Avid tips. Your heavy spars and lift struts, plus 12" rib spacing, would assure you of at least 1200lb gross like the Avid Aerobat.

Posted

Doug

I looked at taking the twist out of the wing but it has the aluminum on the top of the wing over a foot back from the leading edge and it is hysoled to every rib, so I dont think it is feasable to try and rework these wings. I am just thinking that with that much twist it will slow me down alot. The other option I have is sell these and build a set that I want. Any takers for a set of wings??? I have been calling Brett at airdale but no answer or call back yet on the price of a wing kit. Any suggestions as to what to do with the wings, maybe get a kitfox 7 wing kit for it or a eurofox wing would be nice.

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

FYI... I bot a damaged Aerotrek (U.S. SLSA version of Eurofox) and ended up replacing the wings with new factory built wings to comply with the major repair requirements in the manufacturers repair manual. The old wings are easily rebuildable IMHO (I would have done just that if it werent for the darn SLSA rules). IIRC, the wings share the same 27-1/2" center to center f/r spar pin bushing measure with the Avid and KF cousins. Certainly quicker than building a new set of wings, and offer some great features not available with the KF 4-7 wing (ie. aluminum ribs and 'floating' wing tanks, steel drag tubes. Since Aerotrek uses similar flaperon push/pull tubes to the flaperon horns as Avid and KF, I dont see a problem using your Teleflex cables but, if you use your existing flaperons (I'm using the old flaperons), some modification to the wing attach system will be necessary. Again, IMHO, not terribly complicated and a very inexpensive mod aside from the time, but it will result in a much stronger all-metal design than the wood hinges on your Avid wing.

Let me know if you care to discuss.

Doug

Posted

Mark,

I'm just now reading through this thread and hope you're still active on this site. I have the original Pursang from John Larsen along with one of your wheel pants. Seems you ended up with one of mine and I have one of yours. The biggest deal is that you have both from the same side and I have the other! John didn't notice that when you left with your plane. Let me know if you want it, I can have it shipped up to you if you're really needing it.

Kenneth