Wing Fuel Tanks leakage?

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Has anyone experience fuel tank leakage from a 90's kit? What is your serial #? What were the initial symptoms, how long running with ethanol?

I have my plane down for a while, and while I do not currently have a problem, I wonder if doing something now while its down anyway may be in order. We have only just begun to use ethanol auto fuel. The airplane was flying in 93. serial 1328D. Anyone know what resins were used then? 14 gal tanks.

Thanks,

ps. I can't get along with ipad/yahoo to post on the other site, so if anyone want to post my stuff there and post the answers back - that would be great!

Anyone know why I can't get along with yahoo?

Posted

Hi Larry,

I would do everything possible not to run ethanol, even if i had to run $6/gal avgas! There is no getting around the ethanol destroying the tanks, and everyone that has tried creme our other sealants seem to be only partially successful :hammerhead: . You could also get ethanolproof tanks from wingtanks.com Good Luck, Bryce

Posted

Hi Larry,

I would do everything possible not to run ethanol, even if i had to run $6/gal avgas! There is no getting around the ethanol destroying the tanks, and everyone that has tried creme our other sealants seem to be only partially successful :hammerhead: . You could also get ethanolproof tanks from wingtanks.com Good Luck, Bryce

Posted

Thank Bryce,

While I don't disagree with you, I was hoping everyone would say no problem, or snake oil fixed it! Just thinking of the long term. I thought that 100LL was bad for a Rotax 2 stroke. We are fortunate to have mogas here, but for how long.......?

Posted

Thank Bryce,

While I don't disagree with you, I was hoping everyone would say no problem, or snake oil fixed it! Just thinking of the long term. I thought that 100LL was bad for a Rotax 2 stroke. We are fortunate to have mogas here, but for how long.......?

Seems that no "aircraft" sealer seems to work on glas tanks - However, there is an epoxy sealer for motorcycle tanks that I believe will work even with ethenol - Now, my 71-year-old brain has failed me again.....Forgot to take my memory pills this morning....

I have it printed out and filed - can get it and post for anyone interesterd - believe it costs about $40 a tank.

ED in MO

Posted

for what ever reason, it seems that alot of the guys went to premix on the gas and that really helps to slow down ethanol eating your tanks. One way to get around it it to drain your tanks after every flight, but that it a certified pain in the ass!

:BC:

Posted

Never used a drop of ethanol in 900 hrs and my tanks still rotted out.

Posted

I have just learned via boat web sites that depending on the epoxy, a tank will leak after 7 urs on average of "real gas".

Never used a drop of ethanol in 900 hrs and my tanks still rotted out.