Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

OVERVOLTAGE / OVERAMP PROTECTION

1 post in this topic

Posted (edited)

Earlier, I had discussed with Suberavid Randy about adding a circuit breaker in the hot OUTPUT side of the alternator. This is because the alternator, unlike the generator, is self-energising, and it does no good to switch off the power supply to a runaway alternator.

This is noted on all of the schematics I have for homebuilt planes.

Since then, I have regressed back into my electronic days, remembering that the Cessnas and others had "over-VOLTAGE" protectors installed. And, Spruce has several in their catalog.

Earlier thinking, was that this was for the generator systems used back then. Now I believe this is necessary IN ALL SYSTEMS to protect the avionics/radios (yes, most of us use handhelds, BUT some are plugged into the aircraft circuit for power) from being fried from the OVERVOLTAGE, just as the circuitbreaker protects the battery from being fried from over-AMPERAGE....I guess?

I am posting this for someone with more electrical knowledge (or access to it) than me to follow up on the "WHYS AND HOWS" of the system. I have some schematics coming from AEROELECTRICS on the overvoltage protection which may help.

Bear in mind, this is being written by the one student in AMT electronics class who managed to really FRY an alternator while he had it on the test stand. Sorry, Mr. Louis G., instructor at UAA Aviation electronics class......

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri