Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sky Raider 1

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have always had in the back of my mind to build a Ridge Runner or Sky Raider some day. I wasn't in any hurry to buy one unless I found a super good deal. Well sunday at a local flight breakfast my friend which is the mechanic at the airport said he had a deal for me. He had a Sky Raider 1 with heavier, bigger gear, heal brakes, bigger tail section, trim tab, 2 doors, 4130 stringers on the fuselage, drooped wing tips, fabric, tapes, wheel ski's, big and small tires, bungee gear, 2 gas tanks ect. The wings are pretty much built.The Fuselage is on the gear, floor boards, brakes, wheels are all installed, flap handle is on, tail section on. Wings fitted to airframe, but no engine. Once I get it home and everything organized I will know more about the airplane, looked good so far though. So now I have a 582 grayhead FWF for a Avid Flyer or for any other airplane for sale. I would like to put a 503 in the Sky Raider.

Edited by Bandit

Posted

Bandit,You will like flying the Skyraider,they are a lot like the early Kitfoxes and Avids but a little more sporty in the air.Sitting in the middle of the airplane makes it more fitting for me.Ihave a Super Skyraider with a 582 and they are real performers.My Brother-In-Law has a Skyraider 1 with a 503 dual carb and its also a kick to fly.You may be able to trade your 582 for a low time 503,maybe contact Rotax Rick.Let me know if you have any build questions, Id be glad to help.Randy

post-104-1347422423854_thumb.jpg

post-104-13474224879181_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

You're going to really like the Skyraider this was my first airplane and I had a blast in it last summer, taught myself to fly tail wheel with it, still need to go get that endorsement. I was using the 447 and it performed just fine so a 503 or 582 would perform very nice. In fact it just came back up for sale on craigs list in Oregon. looks like the current owner never flew it but did change out the gear for the wide gear. http://boise.craigslist.org/rvs/3260932383.html

-Robert-

post-352-13474647316775_thumb.jpg

Edited by High Country

Posted

You're going to really like the Skyraider this was my first airplane and I had a blast in it last summer, taught myself to fly tail wheel with it, still need to go get that endorsement. I was using the 447 and it performed just fine so a 503 or 582 would perform very nice. In fact it just came back up for sale on craigs list in Oregon. looks like the current owner never flew it but did change out the gear for the wide gear. http://boise.craigslist.org/rvs/3260932383.html

-Robert-

Somebody tell a nosey Soob-driver why you would want a 503 more than a 582, and whats the difference in the two. I might fall into the Rotax circle someday

ED in MO

Posted

light weight, no water system to take you out of the air. The early planes perform best LIGHT!

:BC:

Posted

the skyraider doesn't need all the power of the 582 anyways so why add one more area for failure and more weight if you're not going to use it anyways. I had my skyraider w 447 up at 11,000' last summer on a hot 85* + day so Denisty alt was very high still had about 150 FPM climb. I was considering changing out to a 503 when the engine started needing work but my wife decided she needed a seat instead thus we now have our Avid :)

-Robert-

Posted

Nice looking airplanes! I can't wait to get started on it. I will have some questions on it once I get going. Later this fall I need to get my Avid in the shop to pull the engine and send it in. I also have to put a another new windshield in, replace a couple of senders on the EGT and CHT gauges, put a new belly pan on and patch the fabric between the gear where my old bungee's used to go through. How do I patch that with all of the exhaust oil on the fabric? I would also like to replace the tapes between the gear on the belly also, the paint is all cracked on them.

Posted

light weight, no water system to take you out of the air. The early planes perform best LIGHT!

:BC:

Sooo- 503 is air-cooled. How is that done? Fins? What is horsepower difference? Got photo?

ED in MO

Posted

Sooo- 503 is air-cooled. How is that done? Fins? What is horsepower difference? Got photo?

ED in MO

A 503 is a fan cooled (usually) twin with dual ignition. Rated for 50 hp. Awesome little motors that Rotax no longer makes...

Posted

Thanks for the rotax education - bet the 503 is also lighter than the 582/532? What are the weights of each?

ED in MO

Posted

Just did some checking in my Leading Edge catalog, and the bare engines are 69.2 lbs, and 64 lbs. The 582 is the 64 lb. one.... I always liked the fuel economy I got with my 582s. If I kept them at about 5200 in cruise, it was about 3.5 GPH. I don't think the 503 will do as well at the same airspeed. Heck, my 447 in my Himax used to go through 3 GPH at 5200 RPM. If you get the right radiators, you might end up only 5 lbs or so heavier with the 582 and wow would it climb!! Just a thought... Take care, Jim Chuk

Thanks for the rotax education - bet the 503 is also lighter than the 582/532? What are the weights of each?

ED in MO

Posted (edited)

I have a Ridge Runner...almost finished with the wings. I have had a setback due to building a hangar. Now I have a location to have what I need in one general area. The 503 I have is about 100 lds. with exhaust. At least what I have does....free air cooling duct and single carb...C box... 46 hp. Mocking up all the fuse goodies before I start painting steel parts. Much lighter than powder....plus I have full access to a paint booth, epoxies, and the Iwata HVLP line up. Should be part 103...only one 5 gallon wing tank and a pint header tank.

post-341-13478004508191_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tree top pilot

Posted

You have to be under 254lbs to be part 103. Very very few airframes out there that are capable of it. A 250lb airplane with a 503 would be awesome.

Posted (edited)

Well I have been working a bit today and weighed a few things. My fuse,engine mount,lift struts,all empenage parts,landing gear weighs 82 pounds. My landing gear including brakes and tailwheel are near 16 pounds. Each wing at this point weighs 19.8 pounds, less cables. I should come in around 270, but am looking for things to lighten up more. May end up with a changing to a lighter power plant or changing the exhaust. Seems odd that the affordaplane with 1/2 vw flys from some airports over weight a bit....like the average weight is around 300. Go figure. Doesn't hurt to try and keep it as light as possible...hopefully it will fly like the 85 HP J3 I was taught to fly in.

Edited by Tree top pilot

Posted

I have fabric and will go through to a white finish....possible additional weight of 16 to 18 lds.on my project I was told. This was for tapes,stitches,tapes, primer ,UV , and finally white. I would like to see the product that has been in service....with the addition of price comparison. It is going to be tough to beat what has worked for many years and is serviced easily for the price. I like the covering process myself....somewhat soothing to see final assembly nearing at that point. I would be open to checking it out.